Metamucil: A Game-Changer for My Ileo Output and Sleep!

Replies
Views
bikerboy

Since I got my ileo 4 years ago, I always had a problem with high liquid output from my stoma, which resulted in dropping 10-15 pounds at a time and having to go back to the hospital and spending a day or two getting an IV to put the water back in. And this has happened at least a dozen times around the world. I always used the excuse it was the food I was eating in those places. After this last time 2 weeks ago, and I spent 4 days this time, my doc was asking me more questions about what I was eating. They served me breakfast one day and I noticed a packet of Metamucil on the tray. I asked the doc what that was for and he said, "Don't you take it everyday?" And I said, "No, I never have." About an hour later, I got a scolding from the top doc at the naval hospital here in San Diego. He says to me, "Greg, you were supposed to be taking Metamucil twice a day for the last 4 years." I just sat there a little stunned and said I was never told that. Well, for the last two weeks I have, twice a day, and the output is thick like a real turd and the water output is gone and I'm retaining water and man, it makes a difference. Instead of dumping every hour, it's like twice a day and I'm sleeping the whole night without dumping. I used to get up every 2 hours, now I sleep 5-7 hours without getting up and I'm still eating like a cockroach. I hope this keeps up long term as my regular doctor is pushing for a reversal because of the high water output. She gets back this week and I hope this new trend with taking the Metamucil will keep me away from the carving knife.

Past Member

It's always a relief in more ways than one when things work out like that.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,380 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I have had my permanent ileostomy since 3/15/12 and been back to the hospital for dehydration 4 times since the surgery! I hope that you can get better with the Metamucil, but I have had to take Lomotil, anti-diarrhea meds (12), and I am taking a couple of scoops of cholestyramine a day and injections of octreotide to slow the output down. I have had 3 weeks with no hospital so I am hopeful that I can slow it down for good and wean off some of the meds. The cholestyramine is what I think helped me the most.

I think you should try everything before having surgery again. I am not able to have surgery again. I do not have a colon so my small bowel is my only intestine and I must keep it working properly in order to live!

My daughter lives in San Francisco and we went to LA recently and I just love California. I live in San Antonio, TX and it is so hot in the summer but this is where my family is and I need them for support.

Good luck, bikerboy, and continue being so positive!

Betty

mooza

Just ole Metamucil. Hey, I too have high liquid output and struggle, but never ever been in the hospital with dehydration. I do have a few problems with rehydrating, but I do and can eat. Not eating isn't great, hey... I also just so I don't have to empty too much, as always using the sachets of Eackon gel. Brilliant for keeping that liquid in one place than having to empty too much. I'm going to check this Metamucil out. Thanks, biker boy. Good luck to all. Mooza xx

Jazx

I too have high liquid output, yes dehydration at times. I drink 2 Gatorades and 8-10 16oz of H2O/day. If I fall below 5-6 bottles/day, dehydration sets in. I don't like having thick output, it hurts throughout the system. I use Metamucil at times but it never made my stool thick. I guess if you do it regularly.

Good luck, hope this cures your belly!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Lcrouch2234

I was told by one of my nurses to take Imodium AD a few times a day to slow the output. I also empty my bag for what seems non-stop and rarely get more than 3-4 hours of sleep at a time which really wears me out. Also, I have noticed that in the hot Indiana summer weather, one day outside knocks me out and I'm pretty sure dehydration sets in due to so much liquid output. I am going to give the Metamucil a try and wondering if anyone has had luck with the Imodium?

Past Member

I used 8 Imodium a day to keep things thick. It really depends on what you eat and drink.
If you drink too much water, you will have very loose motion and be emptying often. So I always put squash in the water and that worked. Also, mashed potato or chips firm up motion.
I used to be up several times in the night to empty. I was always tired. The trick is when to eat and when not to. Like my bag filled up 6 hours after a big meal. So if I had to go out in the evening, I would fast from lunchtime and empty before going out. Then eat before bed, knowing the bag would not fill up till morning. You need to time it.
I've been fortunate to have a reversal and I'm so pleased. It was a painful surgery as I had a stoma hernia repaired at the same time. After being rushed to the hospital 4 times with blockages. They were painful, like labor pains. I had to have a tube down my nose into my stomach to aspirate each time, was blooming awful. Good luck to all x

bikerboy

Thank you all. It's been just over a month, and I still feel great and have enjoyed sleeping 6-8 hours now. I make a deposit twice a day and one before bed. Doing the Metamucil chews and taffy twice a day and like, no liquid.
Take care.