Weight loss after colon removal surgery?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
lanabana

Hi, I am an almost 23-year-old female who just had to have her colon removed for having severe C.Diff for over 3 1/2 years. It was causing major problems, causing my kidney function to go down to low 70's and extreme water retention around 15 lbs. I was wondering from other people who have had their colons removed how much weight they have lost in the 3 weeks after surgery. Different doctors have given me way different numbers, but I just wanted to know from some people who actually had the surgery.

Thanks,
Elena

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

bag_n_drag
Elena-

I had emergency ileostomy surgery in Dec. 2010 and lost my entire large intestine. In the 3 weeks that followed, I lost about 25 lbs....but it was because I was in a coma for 2 of those weeks receiving TPN. I was in the hospital for 6 weeks total, and the weight loss stayed around 25-30 lbs. I have since had a reversal in Feb. 2012, and my weight is stable.

You will probably lose weight until your system adjusts to your ostomy, and then things will level out. It's trial and error on what you can eat...each person is different in what they can tolerate, what causes blockages, etc. There are a few foods that most people can't tolerate like popcorn, peels, seeds, etc., and I believe there is a list of foods likely to cause blockages on this site somewhere.

I hope your recovery process is stable, consistent, and relatively pain-free. You have youth on your side, and that is a good thing. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Darla
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Juuust_James

You are doing the right thing by looking to the online ostomy community for answers and help. I learned more in the first week on my first ostomy message board than 5 years from my doctors. In cases like what we have, it is often best to get feedback from others who have been through the same things, rather than doctors who just tell you common stuff they learned in med school and from experiences through their practice.

It is not unusual at all to experience significant weight loss after your colectomy because of the fact that you were very ill - thus the reason for having the surgery. My weight was down nearly 20 lbs when I got back home from my first surgery, and it took nearly 6 months to gain the weight and my strength back. Since then, I have had 3 follow-up procedures in each of which I lost very little because I was not sick going in, thus spent just a few days in the hospital, not 10 days like the first time. Also, my recovery time was a fraction in the follow-up surgeries because my overall health was infinitely better.

The previous reply is correct in that it will take some time for your body to adjust to not having your colon. The colon was basically a storage area and a majority of your absorption is done in your small bowel - but without the colon there to allow things to back up, our digestive cycles are greatly sped up, so getting your body the proper nutrients it needs can be very difficult. Myself, I have difficulty absorbing B-12, vitamin D, and magnesium, so all three of those vitamins I take in liquid form so my body doesn't have to break down tablets. You also want to stay away from any vitamins or medications that are "time-released" as they will go through you with little or no benefit.

Primeboy

I lost about 25 unnecessary pounds after my surgery and am still keeping this weight off after 2+ years. One of the main reasons for my weight success is portion control because, thankfully, I feel full after eating only half as much. As an ileostomate, I don't absorb all the nutrients or carbs I used to. I can eat anything I want but I supplement my diet with vitamin tablets. I am not sure if there are any universal guidelines here since everyone's situation is different. If your doctors are giving you mixed messages, however, and you trust all of them, get used to tolerating ambiguity. Life never presents itself in black and white. Good luck! PB

Past Member

I got my ileo due to U/C back in 1987. I was 22 at the time. As a young guy (before I got real sick), I used to work out and was an athletic 165 lbs. The last flare-up of U/C made me so ill that my weight went from 165 to 122 lbs over the span of about 2 months (have to try and find some of those pics). After surgery, I ate EVERYTHING that wasn't nailed down and gained my weight back to a more normal (for my frame) 150-ish....then life carried on. I hit my 30s and the pounds started packing on, big time, but that's another story. I think once your body is doing better/healthy, the weight loss issues become less of a concern.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
smileafayce

Hi, I'm 23 and have an ileostomy for the same reason. I got a very severe case of C. diff after my bone marrow transplant. =/ I lost a ton of weight but I wouldn't be much help to you because I am pretty sure my weight loss is from the transplant. I don't want to waste your time, I just wanted to reach out since we're the same age and have this shared experience. =)

bes0642

Lanabana:
I'm a lot older than you but I thought I'd share my experience with you. I had emergency ileostomy surgery in 2005 due to UC. My normal weight for many years was 175 lbs. However, I lost down to 135 lbs. I feel most of the weight loss was complicated by 96 days in ICU with pneumonia. I finally went to rehab for 2 months learning to walk again. Started a high protein diet and after 2 years was back to my normal weight. Fast forward to today. It's been 7 years now and everything is just fine with a minor inconvenience of a bag. But I've adjusted to this way of life and quite frankly without the surgery I would be here. So every day is a blessing to be here for my daughters and grandchildren. Best of luck to you. Bob

smileafayce

Thanks Bob, I appreciate your story. Every day is a blessing and I too am very thankful that we're both still here. It isn't too hard to adjust to living with the bag; however, I'm a dancer and I can't help but be concerned about how this is going to further affect my dance career. I'm not sure how I can do ballet with this thing, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Anyway, thank you for your response and I wish you and your family continued blessings. =)

bes0642

Thanks for your kind words. Just remain positive and things have a way of working out.
Best wishes! Bob