Using Eakin Seal to Create a Convex Flange: Tips and Effectiveness?

Replies
Views
tess45

I have a question for the group - I use a convex flange but I am running out of them. I do, however, have a ton of the flat flanges and would like to use them. Stefan the stoma does not lay flat against my skin; however, he does like to turtle/telescope at times. My ET Nurse said that I could form my Eakin rings to a convex shape. Has anyone done this? How do you do it and how effective did you find it?

Juuust_James

It's really very simple - just peel the paper off of the seal, stretch and mold it snugly around your stoma - (it's easiest to attach to your skin than dealing with the stickiness of the seal on top of the stickiness of your barrier). Then, once you have it placed around your stoma, place your barrier over the top of it and press down and hold for 30 seconds to a minute to make sure it adheres well. I recommend, especially in this case while you have to use a flat wafer, that you warm up the barrier first. Some will use a hairdryer on it before they peel the backing off, I just hold them under my armpit while doing my cleanup and my body heat will soften it up. Doing this will make it more flexible when you place it on your skin, allowing the most contact and to get the best adhesion - especially when you're using something underneath like an Eakin.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi Tess, I have tried that and it worked very well. It's always good to experiment with appliances. You never know when you may need to make things work when you run out of something. Take care, Ambies.

Immarsh

Hi to Tess, Jim, and Ambies.....your posts were very helpful. I switched to the convex moldable flange (from Conatec) but have boxes and boxes of the flat ones left over. I haven't tried using the Eaken seal, but it sounds like it will work. Thanks so much.

Marsha
Juuust_James

Your sure welcome - just remember to heat up the barrier / flange to make it more flexible and it will also activate the adhesive before you stick it on, giving you an even better seal. I found the few times that I used Eakins that they stuck so good they took a while to get off my skin when it was time to change the barrier.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Your welcome, Marsha. Good idea what Jim said about heating the barrier seal. I'm pleased that it was of some help to you. Take care, Ambies.

patcopes

To Tess 45... Stefan, the stoma is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time... My stoma is named Matilda, and she's been my best friend now for 27 years... I've been through it all... Hugs.

Juuust_James

"Waltzing Matilda?" - I've heard of her!
Past Member

And mine's called Alfie, lol. He's a menace at times... Ambies.

Juuust_James
Well, seems like if he's a "Menace" Ambies - the Dennis would have been a more appropriate name. LOL
Past Member

Lol, true, but I kinda like Alfie... lol

Juuust_James

Well, it certainly is a more distinguished name than Dennis.

Past Member

Lol, I think so too. He's loud and makes rude noises in public... lol

Juuust_James
Yeah - but with that golden smile of yours, I bet those noises in public go totally unnoticed!
tess45

Can't believe that I never thought of this - for anyone else in this position, just take your Eakin seal, rip it in half, and then roll it into a tube shape and then put it on - so easy.

Past Member

Hi Tess, what a great idea! This is one I have to try. Thank you for sharing it with us. Take care, Ambies xx