Pancaking: Any Solutions?

Replies
Views
DH

Is there a solution for pancaking? I am guessing that there isn't. It just seems like everything sticks to the top of my pouch instead of going to the bottom. And because of this, I have to change my pouch more often. If not, the stool starts to seep out the sides. The only time this doesn't happen is when I pass solids or liquids. If it's the gooey stuff, which is often, it just sticks at the top of my pouch and bulges under my clothes. I can't stand this. Drives me nuts! But I guess I will have to deal with it. After all, this stoma will be with me for the rest of my life.
Donna

budd002

Put a tablespoon of oil in it....swish it around the top of the bag before you snap it on....???

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,445 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Primeboy

Budd's advice is spot-on. Unfortunately, eternal vigilance is required for those of us who need an external appliance. I can add two points: (1) stay very hydrated, and (2) frequently nudge or squeeze the pancaking content downwards in your bag, especially when you wake up at night. Good luck! PB

notexpectingthis

Donna - I'm with Primeboy but have heard that a lot of people do as Budd recommends with the oil - have heard most use baby oil.
Melissa

budd002
Just don't overkill it or the oil could cause the flange to come loose if the oil is so heavily coated and drip under the flange...

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Juuust_James

I haven't seen them (but haven't looked), but I've read in replies to similar topics on the Ostomyland site that someone makes these little spacer blocks you stick inside the bags to keep it separated up top - to prevent it from sticking together when you have extra thick output. So, those combined with a few drops of oil in the bag after you empty, hopefully will help with the problem.

Past Member

Baby oil works a treat for pancaking, but I also agree with PB. Keep hydrated, it helps to keep things flowing. Good luck, TC Ambies...

DH

Thank you all for your advice. I will drink more water and try using baby oil.

Donna

Past Member

Hey, I hope it works. It certainly helps me. Take care, ambies.

bikerboy

Is the hole in the wafer big enough? It should be an inch in diameter for most ostomates. And if you use an akins ring, the bag might be stuck to the ring inside, causing the stool to not flow right. I use the Adapt paste, and sometimes the bag sticks to the paste, cutting the flow to the bag.

TerryD

I use Hollister Lubricating Deodorant, my insurance lets me have one container a month. Works perfectly to prevent pancaking and coats the inside of the bag so everything slips out better.

Of course now I'm learning to irrigate and feeling proud that I finally got the hang of it for today....so hopefully this will soon be a thing of the past for me....!

Cheers

rosebudd44

I also use Hollister lubricant when I get pancaking, it's brilliant stuff.

tdbm

I didn't see this until tonight, but today when I was having the same problem, I thought "oil!" so I sprayed a little Pam inside the bag and it put a thin coat on the whole inside. All day long the output just slid out with no hindrance. Too bad I didn't think of that 6 months ago! I might have avoided the whole thing blowing off a few times!
To the people who use the deodorizing lubricant, please tell if the deodorant is worth it with the lubricant? I find the Coloplast O.A.D. not to be that impressive.
Thanks.