Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,340 members

Flesh going black around stoma.

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:39 am
I had a urostomy in 2008 and, apart from an enormous hernia, corrected(?) last December, it has been relatively trouble free.

However, over the past few months I have noticed that the flesh around the stoma is turning black. Initially there was no discomfort, but during the last week, there is a sharp pain in the stoma area when I cough or when I bend.

Anyone else had either of these symptoms - and if so, what was the recommendation or result?

Thanks in advance.
Reply by Juuust_Jim, on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:37 pm
see your DR ASAP! a darkening color to the skin means lack of blood supply there!
Reply by nal143, on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:27 pm
majic, if you can't get an appointment with your doctor tomorrow, please go to the ER! Usually when tissue turns black it is dying! Don't mean to scare you, but it should be looked at right away. Take care.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:34 am
Thanks for both replies.
I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning and I am in process of contacting the stoma nurse (stomatherapeute they're called here in France!).
Fingers crossed time.... and thanks again.
Reply by Juuust_Jim, on Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:19 pm
Good! I'll cross my finger too -that He can do something to help right-away Wink
Reply by notexpectingthis, on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:37 pm
Majic please let us know as soon as you know!!!!
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:42 pm
My doctor has told me to go to hospital  "as soon as possible" for an appointment with my surgeon. Being week end, I cannot go until tomorrow, Monday, but I will be there early morning.
Meantime have learned that my stoma nurse is on holiday until next week.
Reply by Juuust_Jim, on Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:38 pm
you should have go to the ER soon as you left your Dr -he obvious like us know that this is a very serious problem, and when you would have been seen at the ER if they did not know what to do -they would have called you Surgeon -that part of the responsibly of a Dr and surgeon- the office/hospital has to be able to reach you 24-7 in case of an emergency, and if the tissue around your stoma is dying as it sounds from your description -this IS an emergency!
Reply by mooza, on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:44 am
omg you run asap to your nearest hospital as above sounds like the blood supply is poor man i hope you get help like NOW Smile let us know how you go u can always look this stuff up and see pics as what happens to stomas please get the help you need before it gets worse Smile MOOZA XX
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:07 am
Went to hospital this morning. earliest appointment for the surgeon - 22nd August!!!

Telephoned my doctor who immediately got hold of the same surgeon at another hospital and arranged for me to see him "immediately" - i.e within a one hour drive from home.

Saw him straight away and --- no real problem!

It appears that my stoma has changed shape from a near circle to one shaped like an eye. Result is that the hole I have been cutting in the pouch has been too large in part, leaving the flesh partly exposed in places, allowing the acid in the urine to attack the flesh and turn it black (well, dark grey actually) with severe "burning".

He treated the area with some sort of powder (don't have the name yet), gave me a template of my "new" stoma shape and size for future cut outs, and an appointment for the stoma nurse next week to ensure everything is going as it should.

I was impressed by the speedy action of my doctor and of the second hospital and, of course, thanks to all of you for your very kind concern and advice.

I will keep you updated only if everything does not go according to plan. Otherwise my silence will mean that all is well. Thanks again.
Reply by Juuust_Jim, on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:44 pm
good -im glad you got it taken care of:) had i know the skin was burning i would have know that is was do to output, and not a problem with blood supply. I had a power called "stoma ease" yrs ago that i sprinkled on when ever i get a skin rash, it helped keep tha area dry and keep the flange adhesive from irritating it. I suggest you plan you next flange change a day ahead -and dont eat or drink anything after 8 or 9pm -then by 8am the next moring you bowel should be clear -thus should be no output(i wait till i see bubbles/gurgles then I KNOW my system is empty). then when you do your change, after you wash you skin apply a medicated cream like used for babies Diaper rash -then go sit back or lie down and relax. Have a small wash cloth or rag in hand just in cause you get a little gurgle out of your stoma. let that cream sit on the burned skin for at least 15 min. Then go wash you skin thoroughly again so no residue is left on the skin to hinder the adhesion of the new Flange. put a little powder on the just the red area if you get some buy them - and make sure you wipe off all the excess, then apply your new cut flange to the better fit as usual -I'll promise you your skin will fill much better the next time you change! the secret to healing skin rashes around you stoma is to "let it breathe" I also sometimes shower with my flange off when Ive let my bowel get cleaned out -that feels OH so good! -and you skin around your stoma will be very happy too!
Reply by notexpectingthis, on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:38 pm
So glad you are OK & that you didn't need a complicated fix!!
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:44 am
Juuust-Jim - you should be a stoma nurse! Your advice is almost identical to that given to me by the nurses at the hospital yesterday, so I guess it must be correct.

Thanks again to all.
Reply by nal143, on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:34 pm
I'm so glad to hear it was the best case scenario for you rather than what I feared! Take care!!
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.