Preparing for a Long Haul Flight with a Stoma

Replies
Views
4boyznan

Can anyone give me some advice on how best to prepare and what to expect on a long haul flight to the US? I have been on a couple of short haul flights since having a stoma and didn't appear to have any problems other than a build-up of air/gas. Is this normal? What are the toilets like for emptying a bag on a long haul flight? I don't suppose it makes much difference, but I am going out daytime and returning overnight. Would it be better not to eat very much preceding the flights? I'm also concerned about the types of food I am likely to find in the southern states of America. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks and best wishes to all.xx

mooza

Heya, what do you consider a long haul flight, I suppose? I had a 7-hour or 8-hour flight to Malaysia and no problems. Used the toilets like normal. If you get any gas, just pop into the loos (toilets) and empty or let gas out! I must say I didn't eat much as I don't like airline food, but I ate a few dinner rolls and soft drinks, so no probs. I took plenty of pouches with my hand luggage, but all was fine. Soz can't help you with the southern food. I'm Australian, so I don't know about southern USA food. Didn't like southern Californian either, except for an English pub. Food was great and no fries on the side. But I had severe Crohn's when I was in the USA, so no food was much help. Enjoy your flight, you'll be alright. MOOZA

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,374 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Shash

I took a 6-hour flight in June and had no problems at all. As Mooza noted, I just simply used the restroom as I normally would have prior to my ileostomy.
Enjoy your flight!!

jmagnus1

Hello! I am American and am currently traveling in France. To be honest, the flights back and forth haven't really changed much for me. I used to have gas on international flights before my colostomy.... now my stomach hurts much less since I have a bag with a filter and am no longer holding it in! Don't worry. There is room to change/empty the bag if necessary.

Best of luck!
Past Member
A few years back, I did two long-haul trips, back to back, from Ft. Lauderdale to Oahu. My stopover was in Phoenix. As most of the replies you have had, just use the facilities onboard as you would normally do. (My flight back was rough; we had to be strapped in for five hours. Most of the travelers had a more difficult time than I.) The best advice I can give is to relax and enjoy! The more stressed you are about your situation, the worse it seems....

As far as the food in the South, I lived in SC for 11 years and it's great...I gained an appreciation for many foods - Chicken Bog, Grits, BBQ (made with vinegar, not sauce), and many others!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Juuust_James

I've been on long flights cross-country of 6 hours or more at least a half-dozen times since I got my ostomy with no trouble whatsoever other than sleeping on a plane LOL, which has nothing to do with my ileostomy. The only thing I do special is always request an "aisle" seat (to not bother the passenger next to me to move) and in the rear half of the plane since I count on having to get up several times to empty.

susjs

I just took two long-haul airline trips. Actually, what I did, which may not be too healthy, is just didn't eat much - stopped eating the night before and didn't eat again until the trip was over. I have diabetes, so blood sugar is a real issue - I just sipped cokes all day. Like I say, not too healthy, but it worked.

Past Member
I have flown several times between Australia and the USA with no problems encountered regarding the flight itself (seriously long-haul flights as with airport waiting/changeovers they were usually 30+ hours).

If you have an ileostomy, the best thing to do is eat and drink as you normally do. Starving yourself is not a good idea as you become too gassy. I just did as I normally do and ate regularly, plenty of water for hydration, and never had a ballooning bag or leakage.

Just pray for no turbulence when you head to the loo! But honestly, the whole experience of flying with an ostomy has been a breeze. Always make sure you take most of your supplies with you in carry-on luggage and try to double up on what you think you may use. I have always doubled up and never actually had to use that many supplies, but better safe than sorry.

As you're heading to the southern states, you are gonna have to check out the chain of "Cracker Barrel" restaurants. The food there is bloody beautiful!

Happy travels,
Jo x