Best Stoma Protection Devices for Active Lifestyles

Replies
Views
frizbeekid

Hi fellow OstoMates, I'm new here and have a question about stoma protection devices.
I am interested in what others have found to be good all-around products. I use a one-piece ostomy bag for my ileostomy. I would like to continue working and doing activities without the fear of bumping my little buddy (ileostoMO).

Thanks Mates:

Frizbeekid

Past Member

Hi, I use a one-piece bag but I've never worried about bumping or hurting my stoma. I think you will find these stomas are very resilient, although I have bumped into doors a few times and thought, "Oh dear," but it's been fine. There's no real protection padding I know of for protecting your stoma. The usual wearing of a bag seems to be fine. As far as activities, most people find that as time goes on and you have your strength back, you should be able to get back to whatever you did before within reason. Take care. ..ambies

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

frizbeekid

Ambies, thank you for your reply. You seem a lot braver than I am concerning hitting the stoma site. I have, like you said, after regaining my strength, been doing as much as I can. I've been out and about on my motorcycle, going down to the river. I haven't been in the water yet. Although it's been hot in this part of the world and it would have been nice jumping in for a little cool down. I took my youngest boy down to the river today, he told me how nice it was. He had to rub it in.

foxbody
I have had my stoma since jan 26/2012 and was really concerned about returning to work which i did march 27 .I was searching on the internet or read it on this forum and found a place called stoma plex and they have a stoma gaurd . I use mine for work all the time they are not the most comfortable but i have adjusted to it . And it does give me the protection i was looking for.I believe there is a stealth belt avalible also.

Hope this helps Ed
WOUNDED DOE
Hi Frizbeekid.......Hey, no worries on this end either.....I am now 45 years old and have had my ostomy since I was 10 and have always been and still am quite active. Country farm girl here, always active with everything from tossing hay bales into the barn, girls' softball team, horseback riding, swimming, splitting wood with ye 'old axe, etc, and more active than ever in my later years here, everything from kayaking and climbing, taking occasional bumps along the way but no big deal, and when I wasn't working in offices I was working years also in factory scenes and such......our little stomas shouldn't stop us from doing anything at all..........don't worry bro, just get out there and enjoy life

Everybody's Sistah DOE

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
mooza

The only thing I do keep up with is really looking after my skin. The rest is up to you when your strength is back, and I hope it is go for a swim. Even take an extra pouch for getting out of the water if that's any problem. I have heard of a stoma guard but really feel less is best. For me, anyway, cheers. Now get out there and live your life. Cheers, Mooza.

frizbeekid

Hey Mooza, we gotta do what we gotta do. The swim should be a go right now, just learning how to do all the things I like.

mooza

Yep, that's it. You will get there though, just letting you know. Okay x x x

ron in mich

Hi frizbeekid, we just had a frisbee tournament here this past weekend and a team from Appleton, Wisconsin. The Appleton Assassins won. A good time was had by all. Ron

Past Member

Hi, I've heard of stoma guards but never really tried them. I've never thought about wearing one. But listen to our Mooza, she knows what she's on about, lol. Just get out there and do the swimming. It's good to get back to the fun of life. But like Mooza says, take care of your skin. That's always been my main priority. Good luck, tc Ambies...

frizbeekid

I will make skin care, one of my top care priorities. That seems to affect a lot of us mates, I hear, right? How's the weather there?

Past Member

Yes, you got it. One the skin can erupt from time to time if anything leaks onto the skin and burns like acid, so you have to take special care with skin protection. I use protective wipes that have lavender in it, very soothing, called Osto Guard wipes. The weather's not good here, lots of rain and flooding everywhere in the UK. I don't know where the summer's gone, but it's humid too. Not good for camping, not that I do it, but thinking about lots that do... Ambies...

frizbeekid

I went to London, England years ago. It rained a lot. I really liked it there though, loved the subway underground transportation. Went to Salisbury to see Stonehenge.. sweet! I would do it again.

frizbeekid

Hey Ed, yes thank you, this helps in my search. I have seen this site you mentioned and just been wondering if it would go with having a single piece bag set up. I kind of figured it was a little uncomfortable, but to not worry about hitting the bull's eye, means a lot.

frizbeekid

Hi sistah, you don't sound like a wounded doe. I'm encouraged by what I hear from the mates who have responded. When you say "ye 'old axe," I wonder how old it is? Sounds like you have done a lot with an ostomy and blazing trails. I will get out there and toss a few bales of hay and climb a thing or two. Thanks.

Frizbeekid

Bodyrocker22

Hey kid, don't worry about your stoma, it's tougher than you know....lol I had my ileostomy in '92 while I was in the Army, spent another 16 years in a hard combat trade and never had to deal with "bumping my buddy" as you put it. I've done everything from skydiving, scuba diving, rappelling, mountain climbing to running like a raped ape through the woods with a 150 lb pack on my back and no worries from my friend. So get out there and live a little. If something does happen, it won't kill you!! Have fun!!

frizbeekid

Hey Rocker, sounds pretty damn impressive, Army huh? I was in a medical unit. You're definitely hardcore, and with a stoma!! I need to step up my game, to put myself in the ball field as people like you. I've been going to the gym, riding my Sportster, and pushing more and more. I did a little rucking in my day. So, I know what you're talking about. Did you have any hernia issues?
I'm all about having fun! Thanks

Bodyrocker22

FBkid, lol....it's sounds much more impressive than it really is!! But it definitely was challenging at times. I've been blessed since my surgeries, I have not had any major issues, no hernia, very few blockages and no flare-ups. Except for having my ostomy, I'm healthy as a horse!!