Switching to Newer Hollister Convex Faceplate: Pros and Cons?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the advantages and disadvantages of switching to the newer Hollister convex faceplate for ostomy care.
sooziq

Question, I have had an ileostomy since 1977 and still use the reusable faceplate, pouches, etc. Has anyone else had the reusable pouches and faceplate and switched to the Hollister convex faceplate or is it called a flange now? The part that goes onto/around the stoma and the throwaway bags that snap on? Do you like the newer one better? Does it wear as long? Do they let odor through? Are they secure in locking onto the flange and end drain? I did use the newer Hollister 2-piece after my gallbladder was removed last year -- much lighter, just never felt secure. Also, how many days of wear time on average? I can now go 5 to 6 days before changing. The newer Hollister pouches seemed to get wet and have little balls of fabric on them after a bath and took longer to dry than the original plastic pouches. Just some thoughts of mine before I would switch. Thanks for any input or ideas, just so tired of having to clean the faceplate off. Plus, the pouches are now really costly and do not last long. Can the flange be worn for like 5-6 days but change the pouch every other day? Or how long? And can I also use the Eakin seal under the convex flange?

Sooziq
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mooza

Wow, 5-6 day wear, hmm. I always remove my 1-piece after 2 days, but it's not a 2-piece pouch. I think upgrading is way better than staying back in the 1970s. Also, into any kind of upgrade, especially taking care of the skin always. I'm guessing you were or still are using those pesky clips? The locking into flange (I'd rather use base plate) instead of flange, but if it clicks, it should be fine. I did try Coloplast 2-piece and they weren't the click-on ones. I put up with 1 leak and said goodbye to them. I use the Sensura Coloplast 1-piece ileostomy drainable, as I like the much cleaner bottom of that. I'm actually waiting for the invisible pouch. LOL, true. I asked too. You can always try to get as many freebies as you can and get what you think you like best. I'm waiting on getting the MIO pouch, but they don't have them in Australia yet, only the flat base plate and closed. So, I think next year. I can't wait to try them. Seeya xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
sooziq

Invisible pouch? Where and when? I get so tired of this hot pouch in the summer, seeing it has been 105 degrees here and 103 and 104! Beats the alternative though! If you mean how I keep the pouch on the faceplate, it is with elastic bands called bead-o-rings. $9.00 for 2 little ones! Works well, no leaks. Originally, it was a hard metal ring and hurt to bend over!
Thanks
Sooziq

notexpectingthis

Sooziq-

I am a relatively new ostomate (bagged 10/29/11), but I do use a Nu Hope one-piece bag with convexity. I use an Eakin seal under the "plate" (where the bag attaches to my skin). I am like Mooza, change about every 2 days. I may be able to go longer than that, but I am terrified of a leak.

My stoma is recessed and it works for me - hope this helps!

notexpectingthis

Oh! Girl, let me tell you - it is hotter than a jalapeno's coochie in Georgia right now!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bodyrocker22

Hi Sooziq, I have been using Convatec Natura flange and pouches for about twenty years now and have had very few problems with them. It's a two-piece system and I think I've only had maybe three leakages over the years. Those were my fault for not changing my appliance when I should have or not making sure it was secure. I have tried other products like Hollister and the Sensura products but always came back to Convatec....it works for me.