Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,179 members

Need Any Kind Of Help With Supplies!

Go to page: 1, 2  Next

Posted by Past Member, on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:46 pm
I am posting for my mother that has lived with an ostomy bag for over 10 years. She has insurance, but for the last 5 years or so, Medicare has stopped paying for anything and we have been paying out of pocket. She lived awhile with what she had stocked up till about 2 years ago, and since we have been paying for the pouches out of pocket. (She had enough wafers till last month). Now it's gotten to a point we can't afford that, we are very low income and barely have enough for rent, food, and bills. As of this month, we even have a deduction in income. We have tried getting samples from Convatec, and she even has a prescription for her supplies. We have tried places all over our county, and now more than ever she is in dire need. She has 1 last bag, which she has on currently and that won't last long. We have no money, and have to wait till the beginning of August for any sort of income to even try to work something out if it's possible. I am trying everything I can to help her since I'm more computer savy than she is. If there is anything someone can tell me. We don't even have duct tape if it came down to that situation for her to have to work with. What is someone to do when they don't have money and need supplies? I just don't understand...

Also with Medicare, we keep trying to get whatever we can through the local supplier but they just don't seem to want to help her. She is in dire need! Thank you in advance!

Reply by funnygurl, on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:05 pm
Try calling Hollister at 888-740-8999

or convatec at 1-800-422-8811

or United Ostomy Association at www.ostomy.org

Reply by Juuust_Jim, on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:46 pm
http://www.ostogroup.org -these organization based in Florida receives excess supplies as donations from people and manufacturers and their specific goal is to help those (like myself) that have to pay for supplies out-of-pocket. they only charge you for shipping costs -so you'll save about 75% on your previous costs

Reply by callie, on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:31 pm
I don't know what state you live in but go online and start the process for medicaid and assistance for seniors.  It sounds like your mother is entitled to help with her ostomy supplies especially if she is on medicare but doesn't have a supplemental or part B.

Reply by gutenberg, on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:21 pm
Hi Shan, we really feel for you, so far you've gotten some good advice so I hope you go all out with it. I would also suggest that you let us know what size and type of ostomy products that you are using now, might help, Ed

Reply by Pinky, on Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:59 pm
Isn't it lovely that we live in a nation where presidential candidates can raise and spend millions for ad campaigns and regular folks can't even get their medical supplies WHEN THEY HAVE INSURANCE!  I'm not understanding why Medicare will no longer pay for her supplies.

Anyway - also try the UOAA support group in your area - our group here in San Diego keeps a whole garage full of donated supplies - other groups not so much, but as Ed pointed out we would need to know the exact products and sizes your Mom uses to help you.

Reply by Snowwhite, on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:03 pm
Hi. I belong to the Winnipeg Ostomy Association. Any unused or extra supplies are sent to an organization the helps peoplemwith low incomes.

Try calling 204-237-2022 or e mailing to get the name of that organization. They help all countries. Worth a shot. Good luck.

Reply by WOUNDED DOE, on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:38 pm
Medicare should most certainly be paying for those supplies, also could try talking to an Ostomy Nurse and find out what's going on, perhaps might need a new RX from her doctor submitted, that might be a problem.  Sometimes ostomy pouches need to have renewed prescription scripts from Doctors to submit to insurance and Medicare.....good luck! xoxoxo

Reply by fable3, on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:18 pm
I'm very sorry you're having to deal with this frustration. I had to pay for my last month's of supplies $400. Cnovatec wouldn't let me return them and my insurance would pay because it was the same month as my reversal surgery. I didn't even need them, but I was initially set up on a monthly auto-delivery.  

I donated all my supplies to the "Closet" at the local chapter of the American Cancer Society. Once a week, they open the closet to anyone who calls to make an appointment. Ostomates can take as many supplies as they need without question. I got some funny looks while dragging in a plastic bag of wafers, bags, & M9 Odor drops.

Hope you find some relief soon!!

Reply by Primeboy, on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:14 pm

gutenberg wrote:
Hi Shan, we really feel for you, so far you've gotten some good advice so I hope you go all out with it. I would also suggest that you let us know what size and type of ostomy products that you are using now, might help, Ed

My friend Ed is absolutely right, and he is blessed with a heart of gold. Why not post specific ostomy requirements and see if we can help. Life is not worth living if we don't care for one another. Some of us folks are pretty lucky and we can easily spread some wealth around even a little. I do not want to go to my grave with a closet full of ostomy supplies and then face a Judge who will ask if I ever gave a *hit about the guy next door. We can all make it, with a little help from our friends. Ed, thanks for reminding us that we are our brother's keeper.   PB

Reply by WOUNDED DOE, on Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:28 pm

Primeboy wrote:

gutenberg wrote:

My friend Ed is absolutely right, and he is blessed with a heart of gold. Why not post specific ostomy requirements and see if we can help. Life is not worth living if we don't care for one another. Some of us folks are pretty lucky and we can easily spread some wealth around even a little. I do not want to go to my grave with a closet full of ostomy supplies and then face a Judge who will ask if I ever gave a *hit about the guy next door. We can all make it, with a little help from our friends. Ed, thanks for reminding us that we are our brother's keeper.   PB

I most certainly agree. xoxo ...Ed and Primeboy and our other kind souls in here, we need to help each other best we can....and times might be getting tougher with Health Care Reforms, I am quite worried for all of us,....thank goodness for this site to help us all connect.

Reply by caweekley, on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:26 pm
I think there is a mix up because Medicare does pay for supplies for ostomies.  They have changed and there are limits on the number of things they will pay for but they can and do pay for my supplies.  The limits on are something like 60 closed pouches or 20 drainable ones and 20 flanges/wafers and 25 adhesive wipes.  

I know that I have ordered my supplies through Sterling Medical and things have changed some and they are forced to ask you each time you order how many supplies you have left.  Medicare doesn't want us to stockpile supplies so they will can only fill your order when you are down to 2 or 3 day supplies on hand.  

I always have 3 days or less on hand when it is time to order regardless.  I never know when I may need an extra change.  But if they are refusing to pay for your Mothers supplies, something is wrong!!!  They do pay for them, they may just need a note from her doctor.  

What type of bags does she use, open or closed?  How long 7", 9", 12"?  What size is her stoma so what is the opening she needs for her wafer/stoma.  Please send me your address and I will see if I can't get you a few spares to get you through.   caweekley at me dot com is my email address if you can send me a message.  You have to read between the lines .... at = @; dot =. and there is no spaces.  

I had several items that I had been trying to give away because they no longer fit or were things I could no longer use.  I just mailed a couple of boxes off to others in need that had no funds or insurance.  I will look around and see if I can't come up with something to help you out until you can get things worked out.  But don't give up because ostomy supplies are considered durable medical equipment and they are covered.

Reply by ScubasteveO2202, on Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:39 am
Not sure what to say except that this sort of thing shouldn’t be happening. I am more than prepared to help out in any way I can. I’m one hundred percent covered here as far as supplies go, so please let me know what you need and I’ll do what needs to get done to get supplies out to you and your mother as soon as I can. This is what this site is about. Helping one another out. Please advise .

Reply by kattra, on Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:33 pm
call Medicade
, good luck (I'm getting my supplies from medicare, I wonder what's up.

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:54 pm
My advise would certainly call and tally to Medicare for an exception for additional pouches. I would contact Medicaid in your state. This should not happen. I would call your local hospital Ostomy. / wound care dept at the hospital. They have more supplies laying around than they can ever use from reps. I would love to donate some that I do not use nutvyou will need to do these things NOW. Message me so I can get more details of where you are and what you need.
puppyluv
Go to page: 1, 2  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.