Tips for tucking shirts with belts?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Anoniem18

At first I wore suspenders. An advantage of old age, you don't care much about how you look.
After a while I went back to regular clothes, although I stopped wearing lighter pants (guess why?)
I recently found:

Which is a new product of the website "innovationbyyou" managed by Coloplast and is available free of charge to members of the website (no charge for membership).
The caveat is that it currently is only available to a few countries in Europe. Luckily my family still lives there so I had it sent to her, and she forwarded it to me.
I have used it with every wafer and bag and it prevents the jeans from crushing the bag and the stoma.
Ed

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

gutenberg
Hi Ed, now this is an idea that seems to be too good to be true but I suppose in time we will see them in Canada but I am not that big an optimist that it will be in my lifetime. Great idea though, take care, Ed
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Anoniem18

I think the problem is the same as to why you can't order ostomy supplies (medical) from the US. No wafers, but you can order the bags, no paste, etc. which is frustrating because those suppliers that handle both sides of the border charge almost twice as much in Cdn$ to Canadian customers. With some ingenuity, you should be able to make something similar out of reasonably tough plastic.
BTW, the three pieces in one of the pictures are filled with rare earth magnets and the idea is to put one inside the bag. It comes with a bit of glue already attached, and then there are a couple of magnets that you attach to the inside of the curved plastic. But I haven't bothered with those.
Ed

gutenberg
The only way I can see this working would be to have the plastic separator inside the pouch, and when its time to change, here is where I get a bit squeamish, removing it from the bag, or am I missing something? Ed
three
I was thinking the same thing, Ed, and then I thought perhaps there's adhesive under that arch for the outside of the bag to stick to, or Velcro and you stick a disposable, adhesive-backed strip of Velcro-mating material to the outside of the bag.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Anoniem18

While the product is made by Coloplast and is supposed to be specific to a particular Coloplast wafer, I use it with any wafer with belt tabs. I place the large part (left side) through the clip of the belt, then attach the belt clip to the tab of the wafer or belt. I then place the bag through the circular part and connect the belt clip to the white plastic oval hole. I recently added a twist tie from the white plastic oval hole to the wafer (or bag) belt tab.
I'll see if I can take a picture and post it later.
Ed

Anoniem18

The bag goes inside the arch. If you look closely at the top of the pictures, you see a frontal picture of a bag inside the arch as well as a picture taken when you look down at your bag within the arch. When you start out, you place one magnet inside the bag (it has some glue to hold it) and you glue an opposite magnet inside the arch. I have not used the magnets, and the arch works great without them. The arch is stiff enough to prevent the arch from collapsing, and it also keeps the pants from sagging. In other words, it works really well, and it provides some additional security to keeping the bag attached to the wafer because the belt is attached to the arch as well as to the wafer or bag.
Hopefully, I made it clear and understandable.
Ed

Past Member

I have never had this problem. I wear blue jeans and tuck in my shirt all of the time. When I had to have my ostomy relocated because of strangulation, I asked my surgeon if he could put it a little lower of my belt line.

cornwallp
Hi, look up http://www.ostomyarmor.com it's all there.
Anoniem18

One thing I forgot to mention, the item comes with rare earth magnets (3) and small, same-sized metal disks. The metal disk is glued inside the bag, and the magnet is placed (two-sided tape) on the inside of the arch.
Unfortunately, the magnets didn't last very long (should have used crazy glue), but the idea is great. Unfortunately, the product is no longer available.
As far as tucking in my shirt... Nobody told me not to lift anything heavy after the operation, so now I have a hernia the size of a third of a grapefruit with my stoma on top. Glad I have the product.
I bought a 4" wide belt ($5 at Princess Auto) made of heavy material with a Velcro closure, cut a 3.5" circular hole. This seems to work fairly well, but really only for the Hollister two-piece appliance. Still working on making it more usable for all appliances and including a cover similar to the "arch," but probably made out of fiberglass (think car bodywork).

megalyman

I noticed a company the other day called Stomaplex. I have no relationship with this company so this is not a sales effort. I am a vet and will be trying to get them to pay for this. You can go to stomaplex.com and check it out. I am interested but it costs about $100 so I want someone else to pay for it. Check it out, there is no obligation but they don't have samples.

Granite

I have had a colostomy since 2012. This has always been my biggest problem. My stoma is above my waist by a few inches and I have a little belly, therefore it shows on occasion. I wear the waist wrap from Ostomy Secrets. I have 9 or 10 of them in 3 colors. They keep my bag hugged tight on my belly, but there are problems with that as well, as you can imagine. When I feel movement, I try to pull the wrap down to let it happen freely and won't pancake. I wish there were a better solution to this dilemma. I don't tuck in unless I'm wearing a suit or sport jacket, and I keep it buttoned.

Cheers, Tom

stevos64

I'm fairly new to this as well and have always worn my T's tucked into my jeans. My stoma is right on my belt line and I put my jeans on with a few pieces of thin foam between the jeans and pouch. I put the T on, close the jeans up and then gently tug a bit of the T out so it hangs over the belt line of the jeans. It looks like you have just been wearing the T for a few hours and haven't tucked it in lately.

Cappabarstar

Has anyone tried the products from Cymed? I have both a urostomy and colostomy. No worries of leaks, odors, breaks, etc. No, I am not a sales rep. They literally changed/saved my life! Hate Hollister/Coloplast, etc. Never will I switch back. Just curious. But then again, maybe we all do not have the same problems.

Uro2011

Hi Cappabarstar, I've tried samples of every brand except Cymed, but will try and get a sample of a urostomy pouch from them after reading your post :)

You wear two pouches with no issues so they must be good. I currently wear Hollister and it works the best for me, but have been having skin issues lately. Thanks for posting!

Cappabarstar

You're welcome! Good luck!

Uro2011

Hi Cappabarstar! Just ordered samples from Cymed today. I'll let you know what I think. How many days do you get out of your urostomy pouch?

Cappabarstar

That's great! With my urostomy, sometimes I can go up to 1 1/2 weeks! But usually I change it 1x a week. Just to be safe. They stay on so well that sometimes I don't realize they are coming loose close to the stoma, which therefore creates urine sitting on my skin and well, we all know that is no bueno! :) I also will put the Nystatin powder on first after cleaning the area, then dab the skin tac wipes over that, let it dry, then hurry and put the bag on before the next drip! Phew!

Cappabarstar

Sorry! I meant to say Skin Tac wipes, not Skin Tax wipes. You don't have to use them at all, I've just always used them because they seem to help the bag stay on better. It is tacky to work with, but I like to use it especially since I always put Nystatin around my stoma. The Skin Tac wipes help keep the Nystatin on, and if I didn't use the wipes and just used the Nystatin, the bag would not stick due to the Nystatin being like a baby powder consistency. Sorry for the long oratory replies! I'm only like this when I'm passionate about a certain product or topic!

Uro2011

Wow! A week and a half?! I'm lucky if I can get 4 days out of mine. After my surgery, I was able to get a week out of a pouch, but I think what you describe is what happens to me. The urine gets under the flange and sits on my skin and starts to irritate my skin pretty bad, but the pouch is still on tight, but it must get in closer to the edge of the stoma. I've tried everything to stop it.

I will get some of that Nystatin powder (never heard of it). I've used foot fungus powder like Tinactin that you can buy off the shelf, and it seemed to help a bit. Do you get the Skin Tac wipes at the Ostomy supply store? Thank you so much for this information. I'm looking forward to trying the

Cymed pouches when I get them.

Cappabarstar

I get the Nystatin from the doc, but I believe they have told me in the past it's kinda the same. I just prefer to use the script stuff. It's cheap through insurance I believe. Plus, I feel like it works better. Whatever you do, don't let the Ostomy supply company (I use Byram Healthcare), talk you into getting the skin prep spray. I thought that if I put the Nystatin on first then spray the prep spray, it would seal the Nystatin on better. I would even let that dry and then dab the skin tac wipes on but learned a hard lesson with that one!! For some reason the skin prep spray causes the bags to not stick to the skin and well you know the rest! One hell of a mess! Anyways, if you have more questions let me know. I use the 9" urostomy pouches. I like them the best. I do believe they have bigger. I actually use the pediatric size for my colostomy. I figure the smaller the better. I'm excited for you to try the Cymed. I really hope it changes your life like it did mine. Oh one more thing! I forgot to tell you that my urostomy has a sort of dip on the side so it's not completely round which I was told was probably the reason why all the other products didn't work. I had a pain pump in the area where they placed my stoma so there was a scar there. The reason why Cymed works so well is because it conforms and moves with your body and skin. Let me know if you need help! Good luck!!

Uro2011

I went to the doctor today to get a prescription for Nystatin powder and the pharmacy has it in liquid and cream form only. I'll try another pharmacy this weekend. That's what I do with the fungal powder I have. I place powder on the skin around my stoma and then spray skin barrier spray to seal in the powder, then I use a blow dryer to dry it all up to place my pouch. I get slow leaks sometimes but I don't really know what the cause is. Cymed confirmed they have mailed out the samples. I wear a convex pouch and Cymed confirmed they don't make a convex urostomy pouch but confirmed what you said about it conforming and flexing with your body. I also have a stoma with a little dip on the side and I believe this is what is causing my skin issues because my urine is slowly getting under that little hole. I've used paste and barrier rings with no consistency in results, it's a hit and miss with wear times. I'm actually thinking about having my stoma redone. My surgeon said it's a pretty simple and straightforward surgery.

Uro2011

...Sorry, the text cut off on me. If you have a full membership, send me a message. I'd like to keep in touch :)

Cappabarstar

This was the last email I had sent and hadn't received a reply. Unless it was intentional, then I apologize for bothering you! I tend to get wordy sometimes!

That's strange, I've only heard of it in powder form? Definitely try to get it in powder form. If you can't, I will send you some. I have quite enough. You live in Canada, eh? I live in North Dakota, right on the Canadian border, close to Winnipeg, Manitoba. People confuse me as being Canadian all the time when I talk.

Anyways, like I said, definitely don't use the skin prep spray before putting the bag on. I only use the skin tac wipes after the Nystatin. I'm not sure which ostomy supply company you use, but they will send you the skin tac wipes as a sample I think. If not, I can send you some of mine. I have probably thousands! I can send you pics of everything too if you would like. How do I get a full membership? I'm new to this, so not sure how to do that.

Cappabarstar

Are you getting my messages? I did finally sign up for a full membership today.

Uro2011

No, I haven't received anything from you in my inbox?? :( Try again and hopefully it'll work this time.

Cappabarstar

Not sure what is going on but your emails appear under my notifications and not emails. Also, the email I sent that you didn't receive and asked for me to send it again, so I did, is above the last 2 emails from you, I believe. It's listed under Saturday? Weird!

Uro2011

Go into my profile and hit the Send Message tab to send a message to me directly. It should work because you have a membership.....I'll be waiting ;)

Past Member

I still have to buy the membership.

Anoniem18

Unless you have a paid membership, you cannot initiate a conversation. But you can reply to a message.

Ed