Seeking advice on colostomy irrigation pros and cons

Replies
Views
Texas Girl

I have had a colostomy for 5 years now and I have never irrigated. Could someone tell me some ups and downs from irrigation? Thanks, Tammie

TerryD
Hi Tammie,

I've had mine for one year now, and just learned how to irrigate last month. I'm well practiced with using the bags, and still don't irrigate every day as it does take a full hour. I know it will help though, if I could just get myself on some kind of schedule.

Having said that, I really like that after I irrigate, if I do it right, there is no output. I make sure I irrigate before I go out to my Pilates class, or a day of shopping or anything coming up on my calendar where I don't have to worry about the darn thing filling up at the worst possible moment.

This week and next I am shooting to do it at the same time each day, preparing for a trip abroad. This was my whole motivation for learning it, as I will definitely irrigate before flying! Also, since I am going to Eastern Europe, not sure that great American Bathrooms will be around every corner, so plan to irrigate every night or early a.m. at the hotel.

Learn it, you will love the freedom!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Texas Girl

Thanks TerryD. That all sounds nice, smooth, and something that I should start doing. Thanks for the info. Good luck to you on the flight to Eastern Europe. Wished I could go with you. Haha jk.

Pinky
Hi ladies - I have been irrigating my colostomy for over 3 years now, every day. I've never been able to make it to the every-other-day schedule like some of the men on this site, mainly I think because they eat a real low-fiber diet, and I like things like salad and fruit and other stuff that has fiber.

At first, it took me an hour to irrigate, but now on a good day, I am down to 25 minutes (that's if I haven't done something dumb the day before like eat a lot of pasta or pizza, both of which seem to stop me up). It's really important to go slow at first, though, and NEVER try it the first time alone (make an appointment with a WOCN at your nearby hospital).
Going slow will keep you from getting nauseated or having accidents and wanting to give up.

I use Hollister ostomy products, but I don't like their irrigator bag, so I use the Coloplast bag. It has an adjustable water wheel to help you see how fast the water is going in, also a built-in temperature gauge so the water is not too hot or too cool. It's also a lot easier to fill. But you MUST order the irrigation SLEEVE that goes with your ostomy supplies.

As for traveling - I have irrigated just fine in the US, but would be careful overseas to only use completely safe water, such as bottled water or perhaps boiled and cooled water. If you introduce parasites or bacteria into your colon, you may get Montezuma's Revenge wherever you are. Also, only drink bottled water or other beverages.

Sometimes when I have a bad day, and I have unforeseen problems, like eating the wrong thing and it blasts through my system, and I have to empty or change my pouch, I think of people who have to do this all day long and I THANK GOD I am able to irrigate! ;
Past Member

Irrigation also needs a green light from a doctor.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
CAW
I don't always irrigate, but it is a nice option to have. I too use the Coloplast irrigation kit. It is nicer than the Hollister set. The water wheel is so much easier to see the water movement rather than trying to watch the water line in the bag.

But as the others have said, check with the doctor and have the ET nurse show you how to irrigate the first time. It is easier to have an expert walk you through it rather than trying to follow instructions from us.

The longer you do it, the faster and easier it gets. Good luck.