Noisy Stoma

Replies
Views
deese
Hi.. Just wondering if anyone has a noisy stoma where it was previously quiet. When I first got my stoma, I would never hear it at all. I could eat anything and do anything, but over the last few years, it has gradually gotten worse. It's obviously wind that you can hear the most, and it always picks the most embarrassing times to happen. I have noticed that if I press on my stoma, I can stop the noise, but I only do this when I definitely don't want to hear it. Is there anything I can buy to press on the stoma as a temporary solution? Thanks for reading ... Stuart.
Yukon steve

Mine was noisy from day one. You could hear it 20 ft away. Since the reversal, you can still hear my bowels just as loud as my stoma was.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,314 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Pinky
Hi guys - hey, Yukon Steve, that is a definite bummer!!!!! Anyway, are you guys using anything for your gas problems? I always suggest BEANO - it is the most effective thing out there and now Gas-X also makes a similar product to take BEFORE you eat. Another thing I notice is I pass gas sometimes when I've let my stomach get too empty.

Once the problem starts, I try to tame it with Gas-X chewables, usually 3 at a time. Also, if you can do this discreetly, lay down on your left side which will relax your GI tract and let all the gas pass. And if you don't wear a belt of any kind (like a hernia belt), they do wonders for keeping gas at bay - there are also oodles of products in the Phoenix magazine ads that have to do with suppressing gas. Best of luck! ;
Jaynson

Hey there. My stoma has been noisy since day one as well. But what I've found helps is to wear a tighter fitting undershirt that presses on the stoma slightly but won't put so much pressure as to not allow the bag to fill. I wear a looser shirt over it. But it seems to help quiet the sound. Good luck.

paisano

I have been learning about eating quality foods to stay healthy and one of the side benefits is that you get a sense of well-being. I think this feeling is our 'normal' feeling we are supposed to have all of the time. But with all the poisonous additives in our foods and water, it makes us weird. Like Attention Deficit Disorder, Multiple Sclerosis, Cancer, etc.

One of the authors I studied teaches about eating raw foods and to stay away from cooked foods. I tried that for about 6 months and after I got better, I slowly started getting back to cooked foods. But I cook them myself instead of buying processed food at the store where the ingredients sound like a chemical laboratory experiment.

To answer your question about stoma noise: The author who taught me about gas explained it very well so anyone can remember the eating rule. His name is Casey Stanton. You can email him if you want ****. And his www.rawandfit.com website has info you can read.

Here is a paragraph I copied for you that I hope will help you with your problem. He mentions eating raw. But his eating rule works for everyone. Read this and you will see.

"One of my biggest lessons while eating raw has been to properly combine foods. When you're eating a raw meal, your body has to digest the first thing that goes in your mouth. The food literally stacks on top of the food that was eaten before. The biggest thing to remember is that if you eat slow-digesting foods, like fats (nuts and seeds, avocado, etc.) then chow down on some fruit, the fruit has to wait until the fats are digested before it can move through your system. This causes the fruit to ferment, and some not-so-pleasant gases to come out of your body."

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
deese

Hi and thanks to everyone for their answers and ideas.
It's Christmas now so I'm going to eat and drink everything - no matter what happens.

Stuart

Past Member

Hi Deese,

I had the same problem and the doctor made a breath test. I had Helicobacter Pylori germ. I did take some medicines and in 2 months everything went to normal.

I love high mountains and I do drink fresh water from a spring, so I guess I took the bacterium in those waters or maybe I took the bacterium because of the stress. There is no answer for the reason.

I hope you feel better soon,

Keep well.

:)