Ileostomy Leakage

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Donmary11

I have had an ileostomy caused by a non-cancerous tumor, but I had to remove my colon in 2010. Now, in 2012, the bag came off in bed while I was sleeping. When I go to play cards, I feel it leaking, not the bag but the seal, I guess. Sometimes, I am watching TV for a couple of hours and when I get up, I realize it is loose and leaking through my clothes. I change the bag normally if there are no leaks, three times a week. Does anyone have any suggestions for this problem? Thanks.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Primeboy
Sorry to hear of your leakage, Donmary. I am sure there are many reasons why a seal would break, but I recommend that you do a little crime scene investigation to see what might be the cause. Look carefully at the flange after you remove it. Is the leak always in the same place? Was the leak caused by the bag popping loose? There's a great link on the home page of this website called "Ostomy Tips." One of the best ideas I found to improve the seal is to preheat the flange with a hair dryer before applying and make sure your skin is dry. Also, be sure nothing is pressing against the bag like a seat belt or tight pants. The other important thing you might consider is perhaps you should not remain seated for long periods of time, particularly after meals. Unfortunately, constant vigilance is the price we must pay to stay dry. Good luck! PB
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bodyrocker22

Assuming the leak is the result of an improper or quickly deteriorating seal, then you need to find the cause of which there could be several. Proper sizing of the stoma is the first thing you should confirm, then ensure you are using an effective stoma paste, site prep is very important...it must be dry and warm to get the best seal. If your flange is being moved by folds in your skin or if the skin is stretched or loose then I'm not sure how you would deal with that. Find an ostomy nurse or some other practitioner for suggestions. Good luck.

scotiaman
Hi.... some thought on setting up the flange to avoid leaks...I have an illiostomy, use the coloplast two part system, am 6 ft 2 in at 225 LBs...not a big stomack but better built for comfort than speed !!.... if you get the drift. It is important to realize that the bigger the the gut the greater the difficulties in avoiding leakage issues. I change my setup once per week and seldom have a leakage issue. This is the process i follow when changing the flange or wafer )

1. Remove the existing flange and note where the leakage (s) occured, or where some fecal matter may have made its way to the skin.
2. Cut the hole to fit the stoma with no more than a 1 cm space between the flange and stoma
3. Using about 80% of a standard coloplast paste strip i role it between my palms to make about a 3 - 4 inch round ( rather than square ) strip... i them role it out around the hole on the wafer. There will be a small gap between th paste and the wafer... role another small bit of material and fill that gap.... the objective is to eliminate any cavities around the stome once it is in place... the paste on the back side of the wafer plate will, once against the body, warm up and if presure is used to keep the wafer pressed to the skin...it will cause the paste to creep up around the stoma to fil that 1 cm gap...once properly sealed around the stoma..it generally will not leak.
4. Remove the old bag and flange.... clean the area with baby wipes, dry shave if necessay and apply some Cavilon skin barrier.
5. Its importnat at this stage to bring body heat to the materials in the wafer and the paste... this sets up the bonding between the wafer and your skin.... I usually tape the edges of the wafer using 3m transfer tape ( commonly used in hospitals ) for 12 hours or so...also snug pants helps in the transfer of body heat and keeps the wafer in place
6. Install the bag and SNAP the clip.... several times i have either not secured the bag properly or not snapped the lock.... well surprise suprise, the bag either falls off when you open your pants or itr leaks....
7. Always keep lots of tape close... if you are going to bend over alot...tape the flange, if its hot or you are exercising, tape the flange... moisture will weaken the bondability of the wafer...tapeing it will reestablish the bond....
8 Keep an open pratical mind about this issue...experiment....identify the cause and effect relationship and don,t be afraid to create a solution...or try other products.
Best of Luck
Donmary11

Thank you so much for all your suggestions-- so far it has been good for over a week and a half. On top of this, I have to catheterize 4 times a day because of an enlarged prostate and can't operate because last year I had a massive heart attack and was in the hospital for 3 months. My kidneys are failing, only working at 15%, so I am seeing a vascular surgeon for a sonogram on Wednesday and Thursday to see what he wants to do about setting up for dialysis in the future. I handle all this with the love of God and my family only! I do drive and play poker with the guys, etc. Keeping you all in our prayers. DM

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister