Day Surgery for Revision

In this discussion
Replies
Views
mimirubie
hi all, am home after day surgery for a revision. this has got to be the sorest i have ever been. feels like a trampoline on my gut.

any idea why it would hurt so much. but i am sucking it up and dealing. just thought i would let you know. take care have a great day.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

gutenberg
Hi minirubie, sorry to hear you are in so much pain, didn't they give you something when you were leaving for the pain, thanks for letting us know, take care, Ed
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill
Hello minirubie,

I would echo Gute's comments and hope that the pain reduces soon.  

I'm not sure what a 'revision' is!    

Best wishes

Bill
mimirubie
the stoma kept on receding down, it was also very narrow, had a lot of problems so they pulled it up and hopefully made it a little wider.. they gave me something for pain, but not really helping.. so i just grin and bare it... i will be fine. thank you both Ed and Bill . you made me feel better.
Bill
Hello mimirubie,

Thanks for the explanation. It's sometimes difficult to understand and empathise when I don't know what the problem is other than in words that I am unfamiliar with.

I hope all goes well

Best wishes   Bill

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
gee07
Mimirubie,
After saying what the hospital have done to you, am not surprised you are hurting.
Why didn't they just introduce you to a deep convex flange. I don't know the whole story but if it is only because your stoma is sinking, then same for me and I had to change my old flange to a deep convex, which does the job of pushing down, keeping the stoma pronounced. I too have a funny shaped stoma, opening on skin level almost and very tiny and retractable and one side higher than the other side.
I got this when in 05 I had to have my stoma put on the other side of my tummy as I had a stoma hernia from my old stoma site, of 30 odd years.
I am sure as your stoma site settles down, so will your pain but if not get back to them and ask them what the Hell are they doing. One thing I've learnt in living with a stoma all these years is to be firm with the medical team. Ask questions, don't let them just go ahead but find out why and will it be helpful to you in the long run.
It's been a few days since your post so hope all is well with you now.
Good Luck.
Gee
christiesdad
Hi lady,
We have never "met" but like my old friend, Gute, (Ed), I too wish you well and a speedy recovery. Don't let 'em get you down.
Be well.
mimirubie
hi christies dad

thank you. i am trying to, but as always i think i am a work horse and try to do too much, i pulled some of the sutures and now it is looking a little poor. have to try to find a WOC nurse here. thank you so much.I appreciate people like you and Ed. Take care.

marilyn(mimirubie)
mimirubie
thank you Gee. i have been thru the mill with this , and quite frankly it is irritating. u are right., about the convex wafer. however the fault is my own. i have never seen a woc nurse . i be doing this all on the fly. more or less. i had a visiting nurse come 2x a week when i 1st had this done 4 yrs ago, but that was it.i do have a convex wafer now but i pulled a few of the sutures by doing too much. now i am screwed. it looks kinda lob sided now. oh well.... thats my luck...lol/.... thanks again, i appreciate the help.and advise. wish i had known sooner.
gee07
mimirubie,
Sorry to hear that you have pulled the sutures. You really need to take things easy for the exact thing you have done, giving the skin time to heal.
You say you do use a convex but did you get it by yourself? if so, I suggest you go over it with help from your stoma nurse, in case it is the wrong size, as this does matter.
If you use too deep a flange that can cause pain around the stoma and if you use one not deep enough then it won't do the job of pulling up the stoma so well. Also the size of the hole is important too.
Don't make things harder for your self, not all is lost. Get back to the nurse and see if you have damage around the stoma with the sutures and at the same time check the convex is right for you.
Please do that for me.
Keep in touch.
gutenberg
Hi again minirubie I just want to say I fully agree with gee07 and hope you see a nurse or doctor especially if your stoma is lop sided, this can get worse if you don't take care of it real soon and you've gone through too much not to have this done properly, it has to last you a lifetime so take real good care, Ed