Severe cramping after eating, doctors stumped - Need advice!

Replies
Views
lovinlife2day
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here and I'm hoping beyond hope that someone might know what's going on with me.

Just a quick rundown on how I have come to have an ostomy. I had major back surgery in September 2011. Apparently, the surgeon used "bands" to hold my intestines out of the way while he performed the surgery. Then, forgot they were there. They were discovered and removed during exploratory surgery to see why I had a blockage. So much of the intestines were damaged, I had to have a permanent ostomy. I have had several other surgeries since then.

I was doing pretty well up until about Tuesday of last week. I was eating good, probably not eating the right things because all of a sudden my abdomen ballooned to the size of a basketball. (I'm only 90 pounds) I was passing gas but it stayed extended. Then, I started getting nauseous and vomiting and severe cramping right in the middle of my stomach. When my nurse got there, she didn't hear very much bowel movement and thought I may have another blockage. So, I went to the hospital and they did a CT scan which came out okay. They sent me home but the next day, the cramping and vomiting was still there, so severe I felt like I was going to pass out. So, back to the hospital and they cannot find anything wrong. They put me on pain management. The cramping seems to come after I eat. Sometimes the cramping is so intense I break out in a sweat. I don't know what to do. I'm wondering if maybe I have scar tissue that's making it difficult for my intestines to pass the food. The doctors are confused as well. Does anyone know what could be causing the cramping?

Thanks so much for listening and helping.
Texas Girl

That sounds really bad for you. I don't know about this, but I do think you need to go for an exploratory surgery again. Maybe they can see something then. But something needs to be done fast. I know you must be in pain and misery. Good luck to you. Tammie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill
Hello lovinlife2day,

I think Texas Girl is right in that it sounds like a medical problem that should be sorted out by the medical profession. (and fast!)

I had a problem before my ostomy when they pinned up a rectal prolapse to my lower spine. I thought the pain was just part of the recovery process but after about two weeks I had to go into hospital in a hurry because the scar tissue had closed up the passageway completely and I was ballooning  dangerously.   I expressed my feelings of no-confidence in the previous surgeon and the hospital and I was sent to a private hospital where they re-did the whole operation  that the previous (idiot) surgeon botched up.   This sort of thing tends to make one question the competence of those who wield the knife. However, when needs must we are obliged to rely on someone else as these things are a bit tricky for the average DIY person.

Best wishes  Bill
lovinlife2day

Thank you both for replying. I'm now in the process of finding a GI doctor. I was here for only about two weeks when the hernia appeared and these other problems started. I'm hoping he can give me more insight as to what could cause this. Do either of you, or anyone out there, know how quickly scar tissue forms? From what I've heard and read, you can't see scar tissue on a CT scan, and the doctors refuse to do another surgery for at least 6 months, maybe a year. If the problem lies in scar tissue closing up my passageway, as it did yours, Bill, I could be dead before they find it. Did you experience severe cramping? This seems to be my main problem. Still a little nauseous but not too bad like at first. This is just really mind-boggling. Thanks again. I appreciate your input.

christiesdad

Lady, I don't mean to sound frivolous, but you said the first surgeon tied up your intestines and forgot to undo them. When our horses used to roll on the ground, sometimes their intestines would get twisted up. The way you would notice it was they began to bloat and feel feverish. The vet would come out, put the horse down on the ground, and roll him back and forth to "slosh" his intestines back in place. Please don't take this wrong, but it may be something that would not show up in a CT scan but still be a problem. Before you go under the knife, I would ask the doctor about this. Could your intestines just be twisted? Also, it sounds a little like peritonitis to me. I am not a doctor, nor medically trained in any way. Just a thought.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Xerxes

Lovin,

I am really sorry for you. You are going through hell. It seems odd that in the hospital your symptoms did not force them to keep you. In a hospital with today's technology, it seems as though they should be able to diagnose what is going on at least preliminarily without doing surgery. Your blood work alone should indicate something such as an infection. To my knowledge, scar tissue does not form within the intestine but outside, causing the intestinal loops to adhere to each other and hence limiting their mobility during digestion with the ensuing pain. The fact that the cramping begins after you eat appears to indicate something like this. As others told you, get to a reputable physician and a good hospital, and by the way, stop off at your lawyer's office. It looks like you have a mega malpractice suit against the initial surgeon. Good luck.

X_

Xerxes

Christiesdad,

Wow, that is interesting. I did not know that happened to horses. I did know that certain dog breeds such as the Great Dane encounter this problem. Furthermore, I did not know that the problem of bloat is so easily treated. Thanks for the info.

X_

gutenberg
Hi lovinlife, after reading your post it sent shivers through me as I remember going through the same thing a few years back, and the vomiting was just horrendous, a dark green, and looked like what I was getting sometimes in my pouch. At that time I was admitted and they started with the hose in the nose but I was still vomiting, and sweating and the cramping and the doctors would come in and listen to my stomach and when a cramp would hit I just started cursing and swearing and one day when they came in they didn't even have to use their stethoscope, they just stood there and listened to me swearing and could hear the rumbling in my stomach. After a week of this misery the surgeon told me he could fix this for me but it meant another operation but I was in no condition to argue with him even though the thought of more surgery scared the hell out of me. to make a long story short, whatever he did was a complete success, never had THAT problem again, and what really makes me feel bad right now, I don't remember what he did but my family said he told them my ilium was twisted and he pulled it all out and replaced it properly, there would have been lots of room as my complete colon was removed because of an earlier mistake by another surgeon, another long story. I wish there was some way to help but all I can suggest is if this continues you should have a confidant with you, one who can remember what was being said, I know that when I was in that kind of shape all I wanted was relief and anything that was told to me was lost almost immediately. I was told by a lovely lady on here that she wouldn't go near a doctor without an advocate, and I think you should keep that in mind and also, if possible, have a chat with a lawyer. I wish you all the best and keep you in my thoughts until I hear you are on the road to recovery, Ed
lovinlife2day

Hello all. Thank you for the suggestions and comments. I went to my primary since my insurance needs a referral before I can see a GI doctor. I am now taking an anti-spasmodic medication that seems to have helped until today. But... Last night I ate a large meal rather than several small meals. Nothing has relieved them and I am bloated again. Most likely caused by my own stupidity.
I will ask my doctor about the twisted intestines, Christiesdad, but do you think if I just rolled around on the floor it might help? Just kidding.
Xerxes, thank you for the info on scar tissue. My sister did some research about it and you are absolutely correct. I really think my problem lies here.
Gutenberg, it sounds like you know exactly what I'm going through. The vomiting has stopped. Thank goodness. So far, though, I've been told no surgeon will touch me for at least six months to a year.

And to everyone: Again, thanks for your responses. I appreciate them. And, I do have an attorney looking into what happened with my back surgery causing all of this. The problem is my sister, doing her research, has found that "bands" are a common medical term used for adhesions that formed around the intestines. I'll still send everything to my attorney and let him decide if I have a case or not.

Thanks again, and have a great week!