Blowouts with Convatec pouch - need advice!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice related to managing blowouts with Convatec pouches.
kenbpd53

Need info please!!!! I wear Convatec Active Life one-piece pouch. I use Allkare adhesive remover wipes and Reliamed Barrier wipes. I clean the area around the stoma with the Barrier Wipe, rinse well with tap water, dry with a blow dryer, wipe the area with an isopropyl alcohol wipe, dry with a blow dryer, apply a barrier wipe, dry with a blow dryer, apply the pouch, hold the cellulose barrier tightly against the abdomen for a minute or so, but recently have been having many blowouts. I have heard to stop using the adhesive remover wipes because they degrade the adhesive on the new pouch. Help!!!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

notexpectingthis

What you heard about the adhesive remover wipes is true. My WOC nurse told me to stop using them - it helped a lot. Also - added an Eakin seal to the mix (cut the hole out in the one piece bag, put the Eakin seal around the hole - then press to skin and hold for a couple of minutes)

Also, I am not sure you need all that blow drying!!! I lie on my bed with my fan on high and let it dry my barrier spray. You could also use a stiff piece of paper to fan it dry. I wash the stoma area with ONLY IVORY soap to clean it - no alcohol! Yikes! Doesn't that burn!?!?!?!

Are you new? You don't have to use all these harsh irritants on that delicate skin. I use no-sting barrier spray - it doesn't burn and I just spray it on - no dabbing.

So sorry you are having trouble my friend - if this doesn't help let us know and one of us will come up with something!!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
kenbpd53

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the alcohol does burn. I have had an ostomy for almost 2 years. All I know is what the Ostomy Nurse told me in the hospital. The hospital used Hollister products. They didn't work for me. The 2-piece Hollister system was a disaster. The one-piece Hollister adhesive was weak, or so I thought. Maybe it has been the adhesive remover wipes all along. I am a police officer and wear a ballistic vest. I know the vest places pressure on the pouch, especially when waste is present. I am fortunate enough to be able to go to the bathroom several times a night to check/empty the pouch. The Convatec pouch worked well for over a year. But Convatec ran out of the product (National Back Order). After resupply is when all the problems started with the Convatec product. I should be at work tonight. But with all the pouch changes, the skin is raw and scabbed over around the stoma, making adhesion more of a problem. So I am burning at least one sick day for the skin to recover.

callie

I don't use any type of skin prep, seals etc. I use a Coloplast one-piece closed-end, I warm it between my hands and put it on, have never had a leak. Once I stopped using all of the extras, it made my life easier and I have never had a breakout. I do use the removers to remove paint, clean shoes, shine faucets, etc. The barriers are great during the summer to put on the bottom and heels of my feet when going barefoot.
When I got my ostomy, I was not satisfied with the product the hospital sent me home with and tried everything on the market until I found one that worked for me and my skin.
I feel this is the problem with many people, that they don't try other products. Good luck - less is best.

kenbpd53

Great to hear. You are the third person to tell me you wear Coloplast and have success with that product. How do you get the excess adhesive, if any, off of your skin? Soap and water? How many days are you getting to wear the pouch without changing? Right now I might get 2 days (very rare) or 2 hours. Convatec pouches have become very inconsistent with me.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
callie

There is no need to take the adhesive off your skin. It does a dual purpose of protection and sticking ability. When I change my pouch, I use a baby wipe without fragrance or sometimes I take the pouch off to shower, but always make sure my skin is dry before applying another pouch. You will be surprised that you don't get much build up with the Coloplast. I have been with Coloplast for years, and when they get a new product on the market, I try it. They just came out with one piece that stretches to form to your skin. I have tried a box and love them. They are very lightweight, and the stretch gets into any little crease you may have. The only thing I don't like is they don't come in a pre-cut, and I am lazy but will go out of my way and cut this new product to fit. It is called the Sensura Mio - contact Coloplast and ask for samples. You will fall in love.

kenbpd53

Thanks for the tips. It made a difference. Waiting for free samples from Coloplast.

texazgal
Looks like the Coloplast Mio only comes in one-piece closed-end. I like having an empty pouch, so that would involve removing the whole thing several times a day. Would like to try it, but not until they come out with drainable or two-piece. I like Coloplast, but also use Hollister and Convatec, rotate to help with an allergy condition under wafer.

I also found out early on that the adhesive wipes are too oily and interfere with sticking. They make great sticker removers for labels and such. Only they are such tiny little papers. I hope you find something that works for you.
kenbpd53

Thanks for the reply. I stopped using the adhesive remover wipes. And preheated the adhesive ring with a blow dryer. It has made a lot of difference.

kims

Try Cymed products. They are great. www.cymedostomy.com. I was having major issues with bags until I found Cymed. All is well now. Send for free samples. Good luck.