Road Trip Worries: Traveling with an Ostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
DH

Hi! My husband and I want to plan another road trip. But this will be my first time traveling with an ostomy. I really want to go but I am worried about being on the road for so long and sometimes out in the middle of nowhere where there is no restroom or outhouse in sight. Have any of you been in this situation? I am worried about having a blowout with my bag and being stuck in the car with my husband and 2 stepsons plugging their noses. We want to travel out west again and sometimes there is nothing but desert and mountains for a long stretch. I guess if I have to, I will go behind a mountain to change my pouch and hope I don't come face to face with a mountain lion or coyote.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

vanestag

I feel the way you do... afraid to venture too far from home. Travel blessings!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
TerryD

Hi, read my post on travel and irrigation in Ukraine.
Trust me, if you learn how to irrigate, you can do long desert trips.

I made it my goal before I left to learn, and I was so glad I did. As long as you have a night in a decent hotel, you can irrigate and be free for the rest of the day.

Please, don't let the ostomy stop you from managing your life!
You can do this! Just check with your doctor to see if you are a candidate for irrigation, and he can set up a way for you to learn.

Good luck!

Past Member
Hi DH,

I have an ileo and I just recently drove across Australia from Perth on the west coast to the Victorian border (3300km = 2050 miles) and about 2500km of that was basically just the occasional roadhouse/truck stop every 500km (about 5 hours driving time), no cell signal to speak of (!) and not a lot to see (definitely not those mountains you speak of, gotta envy you that)!

I encountered no problems, the only time my bag ballooned and filled up a little too quickly was when I downed a can of coke (will steer clear of it in the future) but I did make it until the next rest stop so there were no worries.

Just stay well hydrated and eat regularly and you should be fine, keep an eye out for the wildlife (hopefully they won't be hanging around the rest areas). The only wildlife I saw on my trip were roadkill unfortunately (even a camel) but anyway don't think the kangaroos, emus or wombats would have posed a threat unless they hit and totaled my car.

As TerryD said, don't let the ostomy stop you from living your life and as for your husband and step-sons, what - you're telling me they don't fart - like ever?! Definitely ain't Australian men then!

Cheers me dear and happy travels (reckon your trip will be a helluva lot more scenic than mine was!)
Zebbie
Hi
When I first had my ileostomy surgery 11 years ago, I was always worried about going anywhere and seeing that my pouch would fill many times a day. Not having a bathroom around, I would be in constant fear. I love to travel and did not want my ostomy stopping me from living my life. I have tried to empty my pouch in the bush, not a good idea, very messy. Then one day while traveling, I had to go and there was no place, of course, to go and I was in desperation mode.
I had just finished eating a sandwich and had the empty baggie in my hand and an empty peanut can beside me. WOW, what a great combination! I placed the baggie in the can with the top edges over the rim. I placed the can on the back of my car with my handy wipes, emptied my pouch, no problem. No one can really see what you're doing, the cars are moving too fast coming or going, then zip up and pull out of the can.
I never go anywhere without my can of baggies.
You will never have the fear of traveling again.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Primeboy

As a NJ resident, DH, you can get a lot of practice being stuck in a car pretty close to home. Just try the Turnpike between Exits 6 and 8 either way any time. You're getting lots of good practical suggestions here, and I can only add that improvisation and adaptation will expand your horizons. Stop seeing roadblocks and start looking for ways and means. I have seen a lot more of the world as an ostomate in a much shorter time frame. So what if you come face to face with a mountain lion? You're from Jersey. Tell him you've got connections back East...or whatever. Enjoy the trip and many more!     PB
gutenberg
Just an observation, a few weeks ago I was looking at a picture of the longest road jam in the world, this was in China, twin, ten lane highways backed up for 250 Km, 155 miles, and it occured to me that there would almost have to be a couple of ostimates in that many cars, and if one were in the middle lane, well it would be very tricky indeed, but ostimates are resourceful, hell we have to be, Ed
Casey & George

I traveled around the West Coast for 2 1/2 weeks. I precut my wafers and brought everything in my carry-on luggage. I brought extra just in case. I didn't eat big breakfasts or lunches. I didn't have any problems and mostly just emptied the pouch when we stopped for gas. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Pinky
Hi DH - I second the motion on learning to irrigate your colostomy (must be a descending or sigmoid colostomy). Irrigation will keep your pouch from filling up for (usually) 24 hours until the next irrigation.

I have been irrigating for 3 and a half years now and have never had a blowout or other severe problem. However, you can still have ballooning of your pouch due to gas, so I suggest BEANO, a product you can use before meals, or something like GAS-X for afterwards. Sometimes my pouch balloons with gas if I haven't eaten in a while, too.

Of course, you have to have access to a private bathroom and clean water, so hotels and motels are fine (I've traveled with my son and daughter and used the same bathroom - just take scented candles), but camping is probably out unless you have a fancy motorhome.
Past Member
My wife and I travel a great deal on almost anything that moves. I irrigate almost anywhere, the most tricky time being on the Indian Pacific train when we spent 3 days traveling from Perth in Western Australia back home to Sydney. Trains are quite smooth until you have a water bag and a railway toilet. The toilet flushes only when you fold it back up. Oh yes, that was an experience. We also traveled from Sydney to Alice Springs via Adelaide, Wilpena Pound, Port Augusta, Coober Pedy, Uluru, The Olgas, and into Alice Springs. All was done by coach. I did have an accident one day, the base plate lifted and the smell was indeed most embarrassing. I always carry a spray bottle of deodorizer now.

Whatever you do, do not allow yourself to be intimidated by your Ostomy. Everyone has to use a toilet, no one is exempt from it. It is a natural function. Yes, we have a different way of attending to our toileting but it can be done if you can set your mind to it.

Go on your holiday and have a great time with your family.

Doug
tim1948
Wow, did you get lucky. I am an over-the-road trucker in the U.S. I live in my truck (all the comforts of home, kitchen, satellite TV, etc.). I travel 125,000 miles a year and am out 30 days at a time. I have been a colostomy patient for 4 years. Here is my secret. Carry the small Ziplock freezer bags because they are sturdy and seal very well. Also, carry sanitizing wipes. When your bag needs changing, open a freezer bag and open the bottom of your colostomy bag and squeeze it shut, lowering it into the freezer bag. Let go and let it drain. Squeeze both bags and slide out the colostomy bag while squeezing. Place the Ziplock in a stable place and with 1 sanitizing wipe, wipe off the end of the colostomy bag, reseal it, and then wipe down the end of it with another sanitizing wipe. Put all the wipes in the bag, then use another wipe to cleanse your hands, seal up the Ziplock, and dispose of it in the next trash receptacle you find. Voila, done! Travel on!
Past Member

Hi DH! As a road tripper (all over the US, especially Arizona), you have nothing to worry about! The best advice I can give is to make sure you don't eat gassy foods the night before and keep little snacks to nibble on. I found that when I get hungry, I start with gas. Drink plenty of water and relax. Enjoy the ride. When one starts to stress, one inevitably has things go wrong! Just remember... It's not an adventure unless something happens!

keysgirl
When I was working, I traveled extensively. I totally love and believe in Colo-majic liners for your pouch. You can quickly pull out the liner and flush it, or place it in a bag or other container and dump it in the trash. Then you pop another one in the pouch and keep on going. No draining needed, no cleaning your pouch. You get 300 liners for about $70, so you can use as many as you need every day. I swear, if I hadn't found them, and had to deal more intimately with doo doo (draining, etc.) every day, I'd probably be as depressed as a lot of folks on this site. They gave me freedom.

The only problem I've had is, once in a hotel, I flushed the liner, which was pretty full (I have a colostomy, so it wasn't liquid), and the toilet overflowed. I don't do that anymore. I put them in the bag that comes with the pouch and dump it in a trash can outside or near the pool, where they empty it often. I don't put it in my room trash can because I don't want to smell up my room, or have the cleaning staff wonder what the heck is going on.

At home, I kinda squeeze the poop out of the liner before I flush, so we don't have sewage clogging problems. I've even had to change out my liner on a plane, and it went well. It is much less awkward and takes less time than draining or whatever. I get mine from C M Ostomy Supplies.

So, enjoy your travels and keep wandering the world and exploring. Now, that's a happy, good life.

In Spirit,
Sadiqah
Transformation Life Coach
lexus1

Hi, I have had an ileostomy for over 3 years. I don't irrigate... I too, have had issues with pouch filling/gas... I don't let it stop me! I LOVE the baggie-peanut can idea!! Very clever. I don't think twice about stepping out on the road shoulder and draining my pouch... no one else would know what you are doing, especially if you are using a baggie-lined peanut can.
Please don't worry and get out there!! Julie

Past Member

I've done the same thing... using a zip bag and a cup is so easy! I forgot about it until it was mentioned.