Exercise with an Ostomy: What Shouldn't I Do?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses exercise do's and don'ts for individuals with an ostomy, providing helpful advice and tips for maintaining an active lifestyle.
J.J.
Hi!!
Hope everyone is doing great!! With summer winding down =( and the kiddos getting ready to go back to school... I am thinking about getting into better shape... so... Can we do an Insanity workout or I guess my question is with an ostomy, what shouldn't you be doing? I use my treadmill but don't want to do something that could cause any kind of damage!... Any advice??

Thanks,
J.J.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi J.J, there's nothing we can't do with an ostomy, just take it easy at first and see how you feel. I workout 2 hours most days, and do abdominal exercises like sit-ups, etc. without any problems. The most important thing is don't do too much too soon and find something you enjoy.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Green Eyed Lady

Hi, I'm personally unable to do strenuous exercises due to multiple hernias cropping up around my ostomy...but, I do have an in-ground pool where I do weightless exercises when the weather permits. This lets me do leg lifts/crunches in the deep end of the pool and I feel much better for it! But, whatever works for you is great! Take care!!

Past Member
Way to go panther its good to excersise, within your own limits.So JJ go and try a few things you may suprise yourself how much you can achieve.. Good luck..tc ambies..
PamTX

Try various things and see how they feel! I run 3 miles about 3 times a week and have also done some women's boot camps - it feels great to exercise and no different than before my ileostomy. Just remember to drink lots of water!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
dee05
Hi there
After my surgery, I was anxious to get back into shape and I love these DVDs by Leslie Sansone, "Walk Yourself Thin". She has many DVDs out and with almost all comes with a kit, ex. "Punch Up Your Walk", which features up to a 4-mile walk and includes one pair of adjustable weighted gloves. The DVD is available for $15 at Walmart... What I like about her DVDs is that you use every muscle and can do as many miles as you feel up to. Anyhow, I love these and you can do it in the comfort of your home, and trust me, you don't feel like you've exercised.. worth a try
Good luck

FUN EASY WORKOUT
vanessavy

I have a continent ileostomy but it's still a stoma so I will comment. I do CrossFit and Olympic weightlifting. I row more than run since I just hate running but do it now and then if I am traveling and have no access to a gym, etc. I have one hiatus hernia and one abdominal hernia, but it doesn't bother me so I keep doing what I am doing.

J.J.

Wow!!!
Good for all of you guys!! =)..Thanks for the advice..Can't wait to get started!!! =) You all have inspired me to go for it!! =)