Airport Security Experiences: Share Your Stories!

Replies
Views
apguy

I travel often, and the only problem I've had (and it was minor), was in Amsterdam. The body scanner revealed my bag and I was asked to step aside. The gentleman said "there's something here", and pointed to my bag. I said "it's an ostomy pouch, would you like to see it?" He was satisfied with that explanation and sent me on my way. I was asked about it once at an American airport (sorry...don't recall which one), and I asked to have privacy, and that was enough to wave me through. I think it was Detroit. I agree with the previous posters: just be bold. It seems to be more embarrassing for the security person than it does for you. I think they've finally gotten the message (at least in America), that we're all different, and there's no need to be rude to us, or assume the worst right off the bat.

Here's where my biggest issue occurred: At Heathrow...but that was because I fertilized my roses before I left the US. Fertilizer residue was detected on my carry-on. Let me tell ya...that's way worse than traveling with an ostomy pouch. Fortunately, I was at the airport plenty early, 'cause that took some explaining.

I'm presently in Jamaica, vacationing with my kids and having a ball, despite having a blowout yesterday. But as they say down here "every little ting, gonna be all right."

Homie With A Stomie NS

Google Travel or Flying with Ostomy or Colostomy and download check bag tags for airport security. They do work.

No Stress Air Travel is a site where you can get TSA cards and great info on security. https:///take-stress-air-travel-ostomy/

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,432 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Homie With A Stomie NS

https://take-stress-air-travel-ostomy/

Has great info on airport security as well as TSA travel cards etc.

ljb3

I flew out of the country with my family a few weeks ago. No problems. I carried a blue TSA card. Showed it to the agents upon entering the scanner. They patted me down gently and had me rub my hands on the outside of my shirt and checked my hands for explosives. No problems whatsoever.