Ostomy Question

In this discussion
Replies
Views
bikergrammy

Hello. Once again I'm writing on behalf of my mom. She's 79 and had an irreversible ileostomy surgery 2 years ago.
This week she noticed she had an urge for a bowel movement and when she went to the bathroom there was a discharge. She panicked and called the doctor who was unable to get back to her. It happened again the next day, and this time she talked to a nurse who told her this was very normal, and was actually a mucus build up from part of her intestine, and that she should clean herself with a saline enema.
My question is this; has anyone had this experience and can you please fill me in on what you know and where one can purchase a saline enema? I imagine at a drug store?
Thank you for any insight you might be able to provide.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Fleet is the brand for the enema I believe. Yes, at the drug store. Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Xerxes
Bikegrammy,

Yes, it's mucus. This topic has been covered pretty extensively in here. If you check back into the archival posts on this topic you will find a lot of help.

X_
Past Member

Hi, yes, this has happened to me on more than one occasion. Go to Boots and you can purchase Fleet enemas over the counter! However, I have only used this once after my operation and found it very painful (I have no bowel at all). So, it depends if your mum has any. I would suggest the glycerine suppositories, they are so much better.

Good luck xxx