Infections

In this discussion
Replies
Views
dealingwithit

Anybody experiencing recurrent urostomy urine infections? I had lived for a number of years with few infections, then within the past 2 years a dozen infections have happened. While my doctor is testing for obstructions, I am also suspecting that bacteria are becoming resistant to the many different antibiotics I have taken. Are there other non-antibiotic compounds that can prevent infections (besides Vitamin C, cranberry supplements, and drinking lots of water, all of which I already do)?
Thanks!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,092 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

girlygirl

I get quite a few infections but apart from antibiotics, there doesn't seem to be any real cure. The trouble is, the antibiotics can actually make me feel worse than the infection!! If you find the magical cure, let me know.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Mrs.A

Have you tried this?
Treating Urinary Tract Function by use of Baking Soda
A mixture of 1/2 tsp baking soda in an eight-ounce glass of water can be very helpful at the first signs of a urinary tract infection. The presence of baking soda in your system raises the acid-base balance of the acidic urine.
I will enclose the link where I read this at. Hope it helps.

http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/Urinary-Tract-Infection-%28UTI%29.html

gordonc

Hi Dealingwithit, I have had UTIs for the last 2 years. Antibiotics helped, but once I had finished a course, 3 days later I had another one. I saw a urologist at my local hospital who said, "You have a stoma, these things happen, keep taking the tablets." I was not happy with his answer, so I looked for a second opinion. The other urologist I saw asked for a nuclear scan. This involves putting a dye into the stoma and seeing where it goes. My consultant now thinks I may have a pocket in my stoma where urine is collecting. She is looking to perform an operation. Hopefully, it will be a case of pulling my stoma up again and tightening the so-called pocket. If that is not the case, it might be a full restructuring of the stoma. I will keep you posted.

Gordon