Going on a trip to a hot country

Replies
Views
mark

Hi guys. I was wondering.....
I am going on a 2-week trip in Africa and am a bit concerned about my pouches and flanges. How can I keep them safe from the heat? Any suggestions ......or experience?

Thanks
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Hi Mark
When you are traveling, always carry your supplies on the plane, just in case your luggage gets lost.

To keep them from the heat, I would keep them in the coolest room. If I pick up my supplies on my way to work when it's hot, I leave them in the boot of my car all day, in a cooler bag or an eskie. I find that this keeps them good until I can get home. They don't seem to get too hot.

Did you know that if you put powder on the skin under the bag, it helps to stop sweating?

I hope I have helped you.
Have a great holiday and stay safe.
Loui
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
mark

Thanks Loui.

Very much appreciated, although I am already back from the trip... LOL

The powder thing that you mentioned... I did not know. I will definitely try it in the summer. Doesn't it interfere with the adhesive?

Mark

Past Member

Hi Mark
It shouldn't interfere with the adhesive if you put the bag on first, then put the powder under the pouch. Have a good holiday.
Louie

Past Member

Sounds kinda kinky.
But
I have found that in the heat the pouches (flanges) stick better, as long as the skin is properly dry.
The only thing is on holiday in hot countries I find I do more activities including swimming, so I always take 1 appliance per day plus a couple, when normally in good old U of K I change every 3-4 days.
Taking kit on the plane is a good idea, as my luggage was lost in Peru. I thought "I'm literally going to be in the sh** without my stuff".
Fortunately, it turned up in a couple of days. I don't know Peruvian for "where can I find some Ileostomy bags", it's not in the phrase books.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister