Desperate for Help with Incurable Stoma Rash - Need Alternatives to Prednisone!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
vicbear13

I have had a stoma rash for a little over a year now that I just can't get rid of. It thankfully isn't close to my stoma but is under my wafer enough to make it wet and slimy, causing it not to adhere. My dermo doc says the culture shows it as a type of yeast infection. Nothing has worked to clear it up. When it is outside the area of my wafer, I have tried every topical, Rx, and over-the-counter and nothing works. I have tried every oral anti-bacterial and anti-fungal and no results. I even tried Vagisil...and I'm a guy. The only thing that works is Prednisone. I want to be off that horrible drug. Since my UC diagnosis (2003), I have been on Prednisone almost steadily until 2010 when I had a ProctoColectomy. From all the steroid use, I have had cataract surgery, osteoporosis, insomnia, and many other lesser side effects. Where I am going with this is when I take it, my rash goes in remission, even with small 5mg daily doses. If I stop, in a matter of maybe a month, it's back. I need help to kill this damn fungus. I NEED TO BE OFF PREDNISONE!! CAN ANYONE HELP?!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A
Well Vic, I went to Ask(dot)com and came up with this result...
http://www.yeastinfectionadvisor.com/skinyeastinfections.html
Don't know if you have tried any of these suggestions but thought I would leave it to you to read and see what you think.

Good luck.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
toodie

Wow, that's tough. I'd say look at your diet. Candida is an imbalance of sugars to healthy bacteria. You can see a naturopath or herbalist for help. That link above is great information too.

Rabbit

Moisture seemed to be what caused my reaction. I react to wet band-aids. When showering, I'd go to great lengths to avoid getting anything wet and would use a blow dryer to make sure. The ring of fire - 1% hydrocortisone cream around the edges would help - otherwise avoiding moisture either from the outside or due to leaks was the key for me. Not fun - best wishes.

littlewheel

I'm a man and had the same problem. I use an anti-fungal powder under my wafer. Too much sugar feeds yeast. I had the same problem years ago from working outdoors (sweating) and drinking lots of Gatorade. Reduce sugar intake, and eat more yogurt (acidophilus) or buy the acidophilus tablets. Men can have fungal problems just like a woman can. There is a book called "The Yeast Connection" that I highly recommend reading for anyone having problems.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
builder

Try Domborow Powder. You can get it at any pharmacy over the counter. Make it into a paste and apply it with the hottest washcloth you can stand. Then clean it off but try to leave it on as long as you can. Good luck!!

Immarsh
Hi Vic,

My name is Marsha, and I haven't been "on" for awhile. But I've had my ostomy for nearly 50 years, and so have encountered a lot of maintenance issues. I also have very sensitive skin and tend to get infections easily (I'm a diabetic) as well as bouts with "Pyoderma Gangarosum," which is ulcerative colitis on the skin.

For any of you interested, check it out online. I went from Dr. to doctor for years and no one diagnosed it....until I had a bleed... But that's another story.

Re: fungus on the skin... I've used "Zabsorb AF powder when it occurs in "other" moist areas of the body. But since your problem is under the wafer, you'll have to be a little creative with it, as I had to be with the lesions from Pyoderma.

You will need to buy/find a skin barrier sheet from one of the ostomy supply places..of which you can cut the size piece you need to cover the irritated area on the skin.

I would put a little antifungal cream directly on the skin. Mix together some "Z absorb AF powder" (found in most pharmacies) with some Stomahesive powder, and cover the cream. Cover that with the piece of skin barrier. Once the seeping area is covered, you can put the wafer from your regular system over that. Just make sure there's a good seal around the edges of the wafer you use.

This isn't perfect, but it worked for me when I had to get lesions to heal that were under the wafer. I only got a day or two wear out of it, but it gave the wound time to heal. It's trial and error. Good luck to you.

Marsha
funnygurl

I use a powdered anti-fungal called Mycostatin under my flange when this happens to me. Clears up right away.

Brent77

Hey there, I had a major ulcer by my stomach. I was undergoing chemo at the time, and it was like a big hole. Colloidal silver, this really worked for me. It is very hard to get hold of, and you will need a strong brew of it. I am happy to answer any questions about it.

libran

Two ideas on the subject: first is a prescription powder called Nystop (nystatin). This worked when I went home from a hospital trip with a yeast infection. I use it whenever the skin gets really angry.
I am also tape sensitive. If the rash is only around the perimeter of the wafer, it is quite possible you are reacting to the adhesive on the flange. I use Sur-fit natura pouches from Convatec. Whatever company you prefer, find out if they make the same wafers without tape/adhesive border. Good luck. It is a pain in the butt to have infections.
cglasshag

gdw10

Gold Bond Medicated Powder worked for me, dusted the area. Let it work for a few minutes after removing an old bag and replacing it with a new one. You'll know if it's working; it will cool it down quickly. Feels good.

hometown

Hi all, just wanted to say I have had the same problems for three years now and I am so disgusted with the pain I have from the rash and the bleeding from it. I have seen all doctors and an ET nurse and sometimes things work for a little while but come right back. I am so tired of having to take pain meds just to survive the day and some nights I have to get up and change the bag to try to get some relief from the pain. I can sympathize with you, Joyce.

Charli

This is still Charli (girl), awaiting an osteopathy.    I have had no response from    my first test. Does anyone know what to expect and what type of clothing I can wear to hide my bag? This is truly scary for me and I would love some feedback, especially since I have an eating disorder and want to maintain my thin look... Please, someone respond!

bagboy
Hi Charli:

I think you mean you're waiting for an ostomy. What you need to do is get in touch with a good wound and ostomy nurse. They will be familiar with the various ostomy products/systems out there. Also, when you first get your ostomy, your stoma will change in size, usually getting smaller. This can take up to six months. Personally, I use Convatec products (2 part system: moldable wafers with opaque drainable pouch). You can get smaller pouches if you're going out. Although I'm a 6 ft, 190 lb man, I still like to look at least presentable. I wear just regular clothes (I really like lounging pants). Above all, try and stay upbeat. I've had my ostomy for over 2 years and it definitely was the right move for me. I've had some problems but they were pretty minor. Find that wound and ostomy nurse! Big hospitals generally have them on staff. Also, places that sell wound and ostomy supplies may have a wound ostomy nurse. You might ask the surgeon (or the surgeon's nurse more likely) about a good wound ostomy nurse.

Good luck!!

John
Br8knitOFF

Charli,
I'm here in Austin and would be happy to help you out if you need... I went through several different products before settling on one, and actually, still wear a couple others because I get bored wearing the same products all the time.

I've had my permanent ileostomy since 2008 and it really does get easier- I promise!

//Todd

Past Member

I have 2 suggestions. I had a permanent ileostomy on October 19 of last year and had several yeast infections, so I am familiar with your issue. Get a prescription for: FLUCONAZOLE 200 mg - 10 day supply and take them all. About the 7th day, things will look much better and by the 10th, you will not have any problems. I would also suggest that every time you change your bag, put stomahesive protective powder around the stoma. I hope this helps!!

Have you seen an ostomy nurse? I have also talked to one, and if you don't change your bag every 3 or 4 days (this is always recommended), this may contribute to your problem. It seems on sites with ostomy issues, men keep them on forever (in my opinion) and cannot imagine having the same one on for a week!!! Just a suggestion, not to mention the odor that would have to be associated with keeping a bag on that long, even using STOP or an odor eliminator.

Past Member

I didn't read all the replies as I'm at work and kinda busy, but I didn't want it to slip my mind, so pardon me if what I write has already been stated. What is your diet like? I have had issues with yeast as well, although thankfully for me fluconazole helps tremendously. What I also found very helpful was to eliminate as many yeast-friendly foods/beverages from my diet as possible. Basically, anything with sugars or starches that break down into sugars will aggravate any yeast issues. There are several good books on this topic (one that helped me escapes my mind right now, sorry). I don't know if you discussed dietary changes with your doc/docs, but if you haven't, it is definitely worthwhile. Hope you find some relief, I know how itchy and miserable it can make things.

Past Member

I really have been doing well with no yeast infections for some time, and I attribute that to having my incision finally healing!! It took a year!! As for diet, I have to be VERY careful and eat small meals, and it seems I cannot or should not go beyond 4 hours or I get a leak, as my stoma seems to want to "be fed!" That happened to me yesterday as I got too busy doing things, and sure enough, once I ate (which was about 5 or more hours), shortly thereafter, the leak!

You are right about sugars!! I can, however, eat some in very small portions--like a small, and I mean small, piece of pumpkin pie, but forget ANY CARBONATED DRINKS!! I also overdid it with wine, drinking 2 glasses, and that was a disaster, but yet no problems with a beer with pizza!! I may try reintroducing a glass of wine and see if I can do it and never again entertain 2 glasses!!

I also received from the hospital a book on ostomy information and foods I could and should not eat. I know for sure LOW FIBER, or I would end up with problems. I am also diabetic, so sugar will always be an issue, but as I said, I am doing quite well.

Have you seen an ostomy nurse? It MIGHT be a good idea to tell her about your issues, especially with prednisone, and see what she has to offer. Wish you lots of luck.

Oh BTW, when you get a bag from a supplier, ask for the one with the strongest adhesive to avoid leaks. I tried one, though something about Newskin, which I tell you, you could hardly see, let alone take off, so that was not going to be one I would ever use again.

Good luck!!

maggie
Hello,
I have a permanent ileostomy since 2010 and have many skin problems.
I have had 2 stoma revisions, leakage problems and also allergies to most of the glues and tapes out there.
I found a product from Coloplast, the number is 3210 in the Brava series.
I use it under the wafer, it helps my skin heal and it even absorbs the leakage without burning my skin.
I don't know where you're writing from but you can call Coloplast and have them send you samples,
they are very good at explaining how to use their products.

Good luck to you!
Glasgow

I had my colostomy about 6-1/2 years ago. After about three years, I ran into a similar problem with rash, weeping from the rash, and odor. My doctor and ostomy nurse thought it was caused by yeast, and I tried a bunch of stuff, i.e., nystatin powders, other prescriptions, and ostomy solutions that they recommended. I then happened to mention the problem to my dermatologist during a regular annual visit. He thought that it might be a more allergic condition. So I tried a couple of other suppliers, and the problem continued. I returned to the dermatologist; he suggested a prescription of Vanos...WOW...I began to use it on the rash, and oh, what a difference it made. To this day, I use Vanos around the outside wafer area every time I change, and I have not had a recurrence...unless I went out of town and forgot to bring it, the next thing I knew the rash, redness, odor, and weeping from the rash started all over. Hope this might be your solution.

joanmarie

I know you said you've tried everything, but I had that once. I can't remember the name of the powder, but ask the pharmacist for a foot powder for a yeast infection. I know it was a foot powder and it worked. Good luck. I'd like to see you get off that Prednisone for sure. I've had my ileostomy for 22 years. Do you have several hospitals in your area? Sometimes, the ostomy nurse at different facilities knows things others don't know.

joanmarie

One other thought comes to mind, that is more common for women, but may trigger something in your brain. Many women are plagued with feminine yeast infections. I know with my body, if I eat too much sugar, or drink beer, I get an instant yeast infection. Perhaps keeping track of your diet, foot and liquids and eliminating one thing at a time for a few days may make a difference. Don't give up. Although we are all people, each body has certain little quirks, as I'm sure you know. Good luck and hang in there.

tod
Hi Vic,
I have had an ileostomy since 1965, have diabetes, a heart stent. I know how you feel. When I got sores under my (wafer), I was told to use Milk of Magnesia. Put a thin layer on before replacing your wafer. Make sure you fan it so it is dry. Then put your wafer on. It may give you a day or two, but if it comes loose, repeat the steps. It worked for me. Good luck!
Tara
jack2001
Hi, I had my colostomy in 2001 and had a real rough time with my skin. My stoma nurse tried everything: powders, creams. She said that I was her toughest patient. I was using Convex two-piece systems. We ended up using a Coloplast 3210 wafer between the Convex wafer and my skin. It works great!!!!! No more skin problems!! Just match up the two wafers, mark
the top on the two wafers, cut the hole in the 2-piece system, then trace that one to the Coloplast wafer, then remove the backing from the two-piece and stick it to the non-sticky side of the Coloplast wafer. I've had no skin problems for 9 years. Best of luck.
Rio

I have the same type of problem. I was tested for yeast and it came back negative. Do you have a good ostomy/dermatologist nurse or PA? I was finally diagnosed with psoriasis. It looks really red and oozy, painful, and itchy. Then it goes through a cycle where it looks like it will heal, only to repeat the pattern. I have Crohn's disease. I wonder if it is Crohn's disease also affecting the skin. I'm sorry to relate that it gets better and continues the cycle. The skin is better when I take the time to take it completely off and air it out a little in the shower. I have a special drain just in case. I also try to use very gentle soaps like baby wash. Pat dry lightly and dry with a hairdryer to make sure the skin is nice and dry before adhering the appliance. I have also used sparingly a spray called Kenalog, a steroid (need a script), and one called Clobetasol when it gets overly painful. This skin issue has been going on for about twenty years now. I'm 60 in a few days and had a coostomy at 23. What else can I say? Have they tested you for allergies to the products? Put a piece of a wafer to your back area and see if after 48 hours you develop a rash. That's if you can afford to use one. It could be an allergy. I know a woman named Virginia Hanchett. She is a PA dermatology/ostomy expert at Strong Dermatology in Rochester, NY. Perhaps she could lead you in the right direction. All the best. I know it is hard dealing with all these issues, but we must try to stay positive. We could have been born in a third world country, and what would our option be then? Ann

ZaliBee

I know that this is rather late but I figured I would post to it anyway.
There is a one pill solution to just about any yeast infection you can get. It is called Diflucan and only available by prescription, but I swear by it.

Past Member

I am so sorry to read the problem with yeast. Whenever I got a yeast infection, which happened whenever I was on antibiotics, I applied natural live yogurt to the area affected (which was the female genitalia). It was immediately soothing and killed off the yeast by altering the pH of the skin. Maybe, when changing your bag and cleaning the skin and stoma, slather on live (it must be live) yogurt. Let it sit on the skin as long as possible before drying it off. Also, take orally probiotics and eat live yogurt. I wish you good luck.

Ranjen617

Skin irritation since day one with my ostomy. Ugh.

Stoma powder is great for small issues. Nystatin and baby rash barriers with the use of stoma paste work miracles. I use Butt Paste myself on the diaper rash products. It's the zinc that heals along with the crusting technique.

1. Clean area using plain water on a warm cloth.

2. Dab on your choice of diaper rash barrier (Butt Paste is my go-to for even my face due to meds from migraines.) Let this sit on for as long as possible in the air. (Trick to help output during changes is eat 4 to 6 regular-size marshmallows about 10 to 15 minutes before flange change - It works!).

3. Take off as much but leaving a small film of the diaper rash formula on the treatment area.

4. Apply Nystatin (generic Nystop) like you would stoma powder. Then use the crusting technique with a barrier wipe. Powder again, crust again. Two layers needed with drying using a blow dryer in between.

5. Barrier paste of your choice. I used Convatec for the no-burn properties but Adapt or any other is fine. Cover gently with paste over your crusted area to form a decent barrier from your skin/wound care.

6. Use a stoma ring type barrier of choice over this area around the stoma. You're done unless you want to add another skin barrier that comes in those 4x4 type skin barrier. I use a little paste on my flange before attaching to that barrier.

7. Now that's it. Immediate relief. You now have skin protection and sore protection all included. You'll see a huge difference asap.

The trauma of the burn gets to me physically and mentally. Something that is causing me to get up and even walk to gain strength. After this technique, you'll get a full night's sleep and many days of wear time. Painkillers not even needed until the next change. I wait like my doctor said until I feel an itch. I'm much better after one application vs stoma powder crusting since the hospital and home. Newly learned technique that was a true miracle.

That burning sensation can ruin your life and mentally wear you down as it hurts to no end.

Hope this helps. I wear a two-piece Sensura Mio system with convex. Flat stoma. High loose output. Two-piece because of bag changing capabilities without stressing the irritated skin trying to heal.

Good luck and best wishes to all, Jen

NewlifeVictoria

Vicbear, hi. I would say try it's a powder and you need a prescription from your doctor. It's called Nystatin 100,000,000 mg. Don't put a lot, wafer will come loose. Ok, hope this helps Victoria.

NewlifeVictoria

Hi everyone, I'm sorry I didn't read Renjen's explanation. Sorry. Hope everyone is doing very well. Sincerely, Victoria New Lifev.