Seeking Relief for Stoma Irritation

Replies
Views
niecy

Hi, me again. Lately, the area around my stoma is red and irritated, burning and itching, and it's driving me crazy. I use the stoma powder and Eakin seal, but I was wondering if there's anything I can apply to the affected area before adding the stoma powder? Any advice will be surely appreciated! Thanks!

kimmytk
Hi,
Are you using the skin barrier wipes before putting the powder on? I use the barrier wipe, then the powder (wipe off all the powder first), then the barrier wipe, then powder (wipe all off). I do this 3 times, then my bag...
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,378 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

niecy

Yes, I use the barrier wipes, then powder, then the seal.... I was doing fine but just lately started flaring up again.

Bill
Hello niecy.  Sorry to hear of your problem. My skin tends to become sore at the slightest provocation - not just around the stoma. Sometimes it's the stuff that I put on to prevent the problem  that actually causes it. (a sort of allergic reaction) many of the expensive, scented soaps cause my skin to react.  I have found a non-scented (cheap) one from Sainsbury's that does not have this effect so obviously I now use this.

I would try changing things around for a few days and not put on the powder (then not put on the barrier spray) and if there is an improvement, then I would find an alternative. I have experimented over the years with all sorts of things and have found that aloe vera, fresh from the plant, is very soothing for my skin problems.  I don't use powders but I do put on a couple of layers of barrier spray, drying each one off with a hairdryer.  If you try aloe vera make sure you extract the juice from the plant rather than apply it with the skin of the plant on, as it is very sharp and can easily slice a whole in your stoma. (Another thing I learned from experimentation!)  I hope this is helpful.  Best wishes Bill
StarUK

Like the others, I use Cavilon barrier sticks. Make sure it's dry before I use the powder, then the barrier ring/seal before I put on the plate. If I am lucky, it stops me from having to be peeled off the ceiling when the stoma works.

Trish

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bodyrocker22

I have found that a great deal of my issues related to skin have been the result of my diet. I have had an ileostomy for over 20 years. Acidity in the skin and body in general has, in my experience, made adhesion problematic.

With modern foods and dietary habits, this is a big problem. I might suggest you consult a dietitian and even a dermatologist if the problem persists. Personally, since I have changed my diet....one of which is predominantly vegetarian, I have enjoyed less difficulty with respect to skin-related issues. I understand this is much easier said than done.

Good luck )

notexpectingthis

You may be getting a yeast infection there under the wafer!!!! Get your doctor to phone in Diflucan. See if it works... It was magic for me! Also, you may try swapping your stoma powder to an anti-fungal powder. Any pharmacy usually has a store brand in the foot department. This also was a godsend to me... Good luck, girl!!!

Past Member

I seem to get this when I cut the hole in the bag a little too big (I use one piece). Osto Mart does a lavender barrier cream which soothes the irritation and helps prevent it from happening again. As Bodyrocker says, diet can be a factor. Try to eat food which keeps your output thick; it seems to be the thin runny stuff that does the damage.

hometown

I just read the post about when the stoma works how you would like to be peeled off the ceiling, and I just had to write. I feel this way 90% of the time and I have had this problem since my stoma in 2009. I live on pain meds and have had three doctors look at this, and went to a stoma nurse and nothing works for a long period of time. I had two granulomas removed and still no relief. My stoma was put much too low and the ring of the appliance cuts into my crease of my leg and the bag hangs down my thigh so long that it is so annoying. No surgery as I can't have anesthesia due to severe problems so they won't operate. Anyone else with this problem Joyce?