Inconsistent Ileostomy Output - Seeking Advice!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses tips and advice for managing inconsistent ileostomy output, providing helpful solutions and support for those facing similar challenges.
gracelinedesign

Ileostomy due to rectal cancer surgery here - just 4 weeks in. Still getting used to stuff.

Some days it's like peanut butter, but for the past 2 days it's been complete liquid. I know this is based on what I eat, but I had lots of pasta yesterday so I'm worried about the output.

MAJOR MAJOR gas too! I'm going to try the marshmallow and BEANO advice you've all given here.

Is it always going to be inconsistent textures like this?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,092 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

bmeup

It has been so far for me, but then I am still taking an oral chemotherapy drug. Have you tried Imodium? Works pretty well for me. There are also granules you can purchase to put inside the pouch when liquid output is a problem, though I have never used them. CyberMed carries them and Ostomy Secrets has them now, too.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
gracelinedesign

I'm very anti-medicine and Imodium really wrecked my mom's colon. I guess what I'm really asking is... is an ileostomy's output supposed to be liquidy or pasty? Or is it just both depending on what you eat?

bmeup

Sorry if I misunderstood your question. I have a colostomy, but I do recall being told by the nurses that having an ileostomy does come with some inconsistent problems. Maybe someone else can address your question. Good luck!

djcwiley

Grace,

In my experience, the color, texture, and amount are always different. I take enzymes daily to help break down the food because I have to eat a very low residue diet. Constantly having blockage, so I know when it's a forest green and a bit like oatmeal texture, it's healthy output. Although I'm still trying to figure out what triggers my blockage.

Debra

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Sophie96

Hiya, I wouldn't worry too much about it being liquidy at the moment. If it lasts too long, then I'd advise going to see your stoma nurse. But as it's still a new ostomy, then your body will still be adjusting to it. I'd say just continue to eat things like pasta, etc., that will thicken it up and avoid fruit and veg for a few days. I've had mine since July, and it is still unpredictable and comes out in a variety of colors and textures, so try not to worry too much. Hope this has helped x

kazz67
Hi, as an ileostomist of 14 long years, I can tell you that there is no right or wrong consistency for me. It depends on what you eat and drink, and as you get further along the line, you will get used to it and recognize what makes it thicker or more liquid. I find marshmallows and green veg can thicken the output. The only time I worry is when there is little or no output, which indicates a problem. When that happens, just drink lots of water to see if it will get things moving! Oh, and if you have beetroot, don't panic when your poo turns red...you are not bleeding (like I thought the first time it happened to me lol). Good luck. Karen
latina63

I had my little friend for 11 months and just had my reversal 4 weeks ago. Sorry to say, but that little bugger had her own way of thinking. Sometimes it did not matter what I ate; it was loosey-goosey, and other times it was pasty-wasty! So just go along for the ride, take Imodium, don't drink with your meals, chew your food really well, and it will get better every day.

Xerxes
Hi Grace,

It really comes down to the amount and kinds of foods you eat. (As if you did not know this). Roughage for a non-ostomate is always beneficial, but not for us ileostomates. It actually promotes a liquid output. You mentioned pasta. I have always found without fail since I received my ileo 33 years ago that pasta with the added tomato sauce (gravy) always firms up my output. However, interestingly, just the pasta alone is not as effective. The gas that you might be getting with it could be due to the ingredients added to the sauce such as onions or garlic.

X_
DH

I thought people with ileostomies just pass liquid stool. I have a colostomy and often pass stuff that either looks like clay or it looks like oatmeal depending on what I eat. If I eat pretzels, white bread, or white potato, I pass solid stool. I found it helpful to keep a food diary of what I eat and how it affects my stool. Right now, your body is still adjusting to its new plumbing. So, some things that you cannot eat now, you may be able to eat later. It's trial and error. Good luck! Donna

Past Member

Hey! Don't worry about it. I pass paste and black water on the same day sometimes. No big deal. It does not bother me in any way. Just make sure you keep your bag empty.

dixied10

In the beginning, mine was very liquid. I bulk it up with applesauce, yogurts each day. Also, I drink plenty of water and chew, chew, chew... I might try Beano to help with the gas.

moonshine

I have had my ileostomy since 2010. I have found that carbohydrates will produce gas.
Drink plenty of water to dilute thickness. Remember, any food that was binding when you had a colon, such as rice, bananas, etc., will thicken your output. Soda will also cause gas, and any alcohol will dehydrate liquid output.

Good luck.

SA
Hi Grace,

Some days I have a liquid output and some days it's more solid, just depends on what I eat.

Good luck.
latina63

Hello,
I had an ileostomy for 11 months due to a rectal cancerous tumor. I had my reversal 3 months ago. It will get better but it will be a gradual improvement, any bowel surgery will always be traumatic to your guts and it is not a quick improvement BUT you will improve. The gas especially will slowly go away, Beano and Gas-X were my best friends for sure and of course Imodium AD. Good luck on everything.