Regular blockages with ileostomies: seeking advice

Replies
Views
djcwiley

I'm scared to really ask this question, but do most of you ileostomies get blockage on a regular basis. After I had my colon, rectum, and anus removed, I thought I would not have these severe blockages. My diet is very strict and can't have any fruit, vegetables, or any high fiber. When I do have a blockage, I'm in bed for days and use all the usual tips: bath, heating pad, hot tea, and still suffer so much. Please enlighten me.

Debra

Past Member
Hi Debra, not everyone has these problems. In my case, I'm the same. I can't eat certain things, pretty much the same as you. It doesn't happen all the time, but I have to be careful what I'm eating. Like you, I've had bad blockages and suffered the pains for it, throwing up and the rest. But over the years, I've had to learn what I can eat or can't. Most of my blockages are due to eating stuff when I shouldn't have, but some are from adhesions inside and around my small colon from multiple surgeries from the past with my Crohn's. All I can say is be watchful in your eating habits and drink plenty of fluids through the day. It helps to flush anything through that might just leave any bulk left behind trying to get through, if it's caused by something that's not digested. Good luck in the future. Take care, Ambies...
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Jupiter

Try 1 cup of prune juice. It tastes bad but it works.

Brad

Primeboy

Deb, Ambies right. Everyone's situation is different. I have had an ileo for nearly 3 years and I can eat everything. My only limitation is that I start to feel full quickly so I don't overload. That's not so bad since it helps keep the weight down. Anyway, whatever you eat, chew it well and keep hydrated. Good luck! PB

WOUNDED DOE

There are many reasons for blockages and as was stated already, everyone is different. But for us ileos, a lot of things can cause blockages. I usually encourage osty friends who have this problem to do what I have each time I developed some problems on occasions. Take fish oil every day, stay away from tough fruit skins, and if eating bratwurst, take that skin off as well. Be careful not to eat too many peanuts or too much popcorn. And those yummy little 'sponges' we call mushrooms, lol. etc. Experiment and see if you notice what things might be triggering it. If you have Crohn's or some swelling of the intestine, it is best to stick with lots of liquid vitamins, nutritious broths and soups, jello, baby food, and tons of anything that is in what I refer to as "Easy Slide-Through Consistency," lol. xoxoxo. I finally went out and bought a Juicer, I put all my fruits and veggies in there and drink the juice down, WOW what a boost!! And all the leftover pulp I save and bake into muffins to either carefully nibble at or give away. I waste nothing. Good luck sweetie and keep us informed how you're feeling xoxoo!

~Doe

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

I have had a couple minor blockages and one terrible one...all foods I should not have eaten or didn't chew well. The terrible one was from eating almonds, they looked so good I forgot and ate a couple handfuls. Will not make that mistake again. When you get a blockage, really look at what you eat that causes it and make sure you don't eat it again. It sucks, there are foods I really miss, like all the delicious apples this fall. But I know the pain outweighs the small pleasure of eating something I shouldn't.

djcwiley

Ambies
Thank you for the insight. Damn, I'm jealous that you are not as limited in your diet. I really have extreme problems with digestion. It doesn't help that I'm a Type A personality. Everything has to be done right away and with perfection, so I wear myself out.

This is a new experience talking with other ostomates, and it sure has been comforting.

Thank you.

Debra

djcwiley

OMG, that was some great advice, and I was afraid to hear the truth. Yes, I have to have a low residue diet and be extremely careful. Sometimes I just want to let God take me because of the amount of time I can be in bed with such severe pain.

I'm learning that we can be afraid to change our minds, that things are different, and they will never be the same for better or worse. We have to accept what is and not what we thought used to be. Easier said than done.

Debra

djcwiley

Mtmbiker,

I hear you, it sucks to not eat the foods we most enjoy. Although I don't even consider eating one peanut yet alone a handful or do I eat fruits, veggies, popcorn, meat with casing or high fat foods. And I still get blockage.

I'm currently working on designing a website that is focused on integrated medicine and educating ostomates on alternative and conventional medicine using pain management tools as well as learning to find creative outlets and enjoyment in life.

I'm counting on gathering all the secrets we know for the new ostomates to come. If I could save one ostomy patient from experiencing some of the things we all have, it would be all the work.

Debra

djcwiley

Jupiter,

Unfortunately, when someone uses the phrase "you are full of shit," it was literally my condition. I could take 5 laxatives and drink prune juice, mineral oil, and still be constipated.

Taking probiotics and enzymes daily has made a huge difference with stomach pain. Looking for some more secrets, please.

By the way, love the profile pic, very artistic.

Debra