Complications from hernia under stoma surgery

Replies
Views
Cnetter
I had my stoma put in April 2011. (I had Ileal Conduit Bypass Surgery) In August of this year, I developed 3 hernias; the largest one was under my stoma. The doctor placed a large piece of mesh in my abdomen. (I have had 37 surgeries in the past 10 years. Four of these required large incisions.) At the beginning of this week, I started having pain at the stoma. The pain has been very bad the last three days. I am throwing up once a day or I am nauseated. I don't have a fever but I am having very bad night sweats. They are so bad that I have to change clothes in the middle of the night. I have also had a very bad cough and headache for the past 2 months. Today the pain has been so bad that I almost went to the ER. I am trying to hang on until I can call the doctor first thing Monday morning. Does anyone know if I need to ask the doctor? Do you think that all the coughing has damaged the hernia repair or that my body is rejecting the mesh?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.
kimmytk

If you are in that much pain, you need to get to the ER.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

djcwiley

You possibly may have a blockage or muscle spasms. Try a liquid diet, hot tea, soup, and a heating pad. Flush out your system with lots of water.

I've experienced too many horrible episodes at the ER, so I'm not a big supporter of going to the hospital until you go to a university hospital.

Debra