Need advice on leakage around stoma with Hollister wafers. How effective are wax rings?

Replies
Views
Penguins7

I currently use the Hollister brand wafers and had surgery for ileostomy in October 2012. My stoma has shrunk in both diameter and length, and recently I noticed leakage problems around the stoma. I have not been using the wax ring, but if anyone could give me feedback on the wax ring and how to counter this leaking problem. The leakage is not getting outside the wafer, but it is starting to irritate my skin.

callie

Since your stoma has shrunk, have you resized your appliance to fit the stoma? This could be the problem.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,377 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

eddie

I have an ileo, try Hollister "convex barriers and rings", these pull the stoma out gently so the liquid stool goes into the bag and is not pooling at the stoma barrier site. The acid in the stool eats away the adhesive. Also, don't use barrier wipes, just plain soap and water. Do not use soaps with lotions in them. I use Dial. These tips worked for me. Good luck!!!

Eddie

Penguins7

Hi Eddie, thanks for your advice. I will call Hollister and get some of the convex barriers. This is all new to me. I am trying to stay positive but it takes some getting used to. Rod

Penguins7

Thanks for your advice. I think that could be a big part of my problem. Had a nurse today look at it and she said I need to custom cut the wafer. I hope it helps.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
hockeymom5331

I think the others have you covered with ideas, just did not hear anyone mention stomapaste. I was using one kind, and then switched to a more pliable pectin-based one. The stomapaste helped me with preventing leakage to the wafer. Nobody in the hospital or nursing home mentioned or used it, but home health care nurses suggested it for me and it has helped.

Past Member

I also recommend a stoma paste! I have been using it for nearly 30 years, and it has been 100% effective for sure.

Tigerlily
All the advice so far is really good. I had my ileostomy in March last year and battled a long time with leaks and irritation, although this was partly due to chemo complications causing fistulas.

This is now a rare occurrence for me and usually only when I go a little too long without changing the bag! I therefore wanted to pass on a little more info that I gained through much trial and error.

I changed to a Hollister bag and use a little paste around the stoma where I have a crease before applying a Hollister ring. Before I remove the previous bag, I cut the hole in the new appliance. I don't go for pre-cut as I find my stoma changes size and shape. My stoma nurse said if using a ring, the hole in the bag should be slightly bigger than the stoma, resting on the ring.

Once the hole is cut, I put the new bag and the ring against the skin on my chest, under my clothes, with protective seals on of course. I find this warms the adhesive and gives a better stick.

Once I have removed the bag and cleaned around (by the way, I only use adhesive removal spray and then warm water), I dry the area and add the paste. I then remove the cover from the ring and stretch to fit. I also slightly flatten the outer edge of the ring. You can get a good snug fit with a ring far easier than with just a bag as you can see through it easily when applying. I press the ring until stuck and apply the bag, pressing it onto the ring and also firmly around the outer edge of the ring.

As a rule, I try to remain still for about ten minutes. I do mine lying on the sofa.

Also, if your output is very watery, this will make leaks much more likely and hard to get leaks under control. My stoma nurse stressed trying to thicken the output as the longer the bag etc. is on before being 'hit' by watery output, the better the stick and less likely the leaks. Hints to thicken, from my experience only of course, Imodium/loperamide - my stoma nurse said you don't need to restrict yourself to usual dosage but can increase, but only gradually, mashed bananas, products from white flour like white bread, cake, although not high fat, noodles, rice and maybe avoid too much fresh fruit and veg, adding slowly as I find the output with that lumpy but watery.

Sorry for such a long post, but it took me so long to learn to manage the leaks that I wanted to pass on as much detail as possible.

And finally, it will get easier with practice, so do not despair.
YVRMike
Just to add to Tigerlily's post, marshmallows are a great thickener. I take Lomotil to slow things down, but in an emergency, marshmallows can stop a freight train, so to speak.

YVRMike
Penguins7

Wow. Good information. Thanks for your reply.

Penguins7

Does anyone out there currently use the Stomaguard? If so, how has it worked?

gutenberg
If we can go back to the marshmallows for a moment, how long should one take them before doing a change? Thanks, Ed