Need advice on using convex inserts with regular wafers

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Ed78

I've been having problems with leakage under my wafer lately. I think I need to go convex, so I contacted Convatec for some convex samples. However, I have a number of regular wafers. I see that they make those plastic convex inserts. It appears that you just snap them into the wafer, but I haven't seen them in person and the pictures really don't help.

Has anybody had experience with these inserts? How do they work / how do you apply them?

Thanks!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ileoscohelp

I have the same problem with leakage. My stoma is almost totally flush with my skin. Is yours the same way, or does your stoma protrude out at least 1/2 an inch?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Ed78

It protrudes from the skin rather well, but it has a channel where the effluent flows onto the skin underneath the wafer.

ileoscohelp
So, yours is doing like mine then. Leaking from the bottom of the stoma. Do you use the stoma powder, or paste? I have just started using the powder, the paste does not work for me. And I can tell the powder is helping. Another thing if your skin is getting raw, or red from the area outside of the stoma. Use a product like Milk of Magnesia. Put some on a cotton ball, and put it on your skin. Let it dry, and use the powder. The Magnesia helps keep the acid from eating at your skin. That I got from my stepmom who used to be a nurse. And it works.

And yes, by the way, you first put on the plastic convex, which does connect to the pouch. I am waiting on one to come for me to try.
dixied10

I have never even seen the convex inserts, but have heard about them. I have a flush or recessed stoma. Finally, I had the best luck with Convatec convex durahesive wafers. I sometimes use the Adapt barrier ring for extra security...haven't had any leaks since I started using them 5 weeks ago. --Dixie

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ileoscohelp

I am waiting on some samples of MicroSkin. It uses a very thin clear adhesive. You can call this number and get some samples: 1-800-321-0591. The company name is Edgepark. They claim that these can be used while swimming or jogging. They can hold up to natural body sweat. Also, if your skin is getting irritated when you change your flange, get some MILK OF MAGNESIA. What I do is clean the skin, apply milk of magnesia, let it dry, then put stoma powder over the area, then apply your flange. The milk of magnesia works on your skin like it does in your stomach; it will keep the acid from irritating your skin, and the stoma powder protects it. Really, since your stoma does protrude out, like I said before, you must be leaking from the bottom. This product MicroSkin says it can't let leakage get under the adhesive. So, I would call the company.

mydrive247

I used the inserts when I was expecting my son, they were great and did help stop the leaks I experienced as he grew inside me.

Hope that helps,
Jackie

Ed78
When I used Convex Hollister Adapt rings, it stopped the leakage under the wafer, but then the bottom of my skin under the stoma was all swollen. It looked like it herniated, but I don't think it did...just got irritated from the rubbing.

Next up, I tried the little plastic inserts I ordered from Walgreens (I didn't care about going through my normal supplier because time was an issue and with the holidays, most normal stores have wacky schedules). These seem to help a bit, still feel a little bit of sting, but it comes and goes...weird. The swelling under the stoma went away too.

Convatec is shipping some convex samples in the mail. I spoke to them last Monday, and it sounds like I will get them on Wednesday of this week. Again, I love the holidays.

I had these wafers when I had a temporary ostomy a few years back; we will see how they work.

All the trouble stems from one side of the stoma's opening being too close to the skin...basically, it is flush, and the effluent spills under the wafer. I didn't have any problems with this the first month or two, but now that I am more active, back at work, and gained some weight back, it is starting to be an issue. Losing 25 lbs, quitting my job, and not moving around much is not really an option.

Sorry if it sounds like I am moaning about this, but it is hard to relate to others about this sort of thing. Plus, you may have some tips for me.
ileoscohelp
I am back to having leakage again. Last week my flanges lasted 2 days, which my nurse said was good. Having an ileostomy for 3 days is about the wear time. I have tried the convex rings and flanges, but nothing is working for me. The acid that comes from my stomach and out through the stoma is a lot. I have tried paste and convex ring barrier, but I am still having leakage. That's why I am still waiting on MicroSkin samples to get here. Hopefully today, I really think they will solve my problem with leakage.

And Ed78, you are not complaining. This is a very hard thing to go through by ourselves. My home health is doing nothing for me. I told them last Thursday I was on my last flange. I have had to clean very well and reuse other flanges to get through the weekend. When I talked to my home health care this morning, all they keep saying is it should last a week. Colostomy, yes, they can last a week, but ileostomy, our flanges, if we get three days, it's good. I can't even get the Coloplast to last more than 5 hours. Everyone is different. I will let everyone know how the MicroSkin product works asap when I get them.
Orange72

Yesterday I tried a Hollister Adapt Ring that you attach to the flange as I have been having some issues with pancaking (is that correct English?) and finally I am back to the gym. I had a bad time last night trying to sleep and not getting a stinging feeling on my skin. This morning I changed the flange (just 1 day!!) and it was all underneath the flange. My skin was red and the stoma was bloody...
Not a good experience, but maybe I did it wrong because I cut the ring to "fit" the stoma size.
=( Yes, I am winning.

three
Hi Orange72 ~ I use the Eakin ring by Convatec, and I've never had a problem with it. You do not cut the ring as it is easily moldable. I prefer placing the ring tightly around the stoma (the ring is soft and pliable and will not hurt the stoma) and then placing the flange over the ring rather than beginning by attaching the ring to the flange. I also use a portable hair dryer to heat the skin, ring, and flange before applying.
Orange72

Thanks three. I will try to fit the ring without cutting it. And I will also try the hair dryer as I am not getting good attachment from my flange. =)