Interested in meeting or talking to: Male

I am a 57-year-old Female
Interested in meeting or talking to: Anyone

I am a 55-year-old Male
Interested in meeting or talking to: Anyone
Meet and talk to 20,076 OstoMates

Need To Try A New Bag

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:31 pm
hello all ! i have an ileiostomy and have been using the same 2 piece bag from convetec for forever and recently have been having problems with my skin around my stoma getting really irradiated and itchy.`is there any cream or powder i could try or maybe i new type of bag ? i also use the stoma paste to fill in uneven skin so maybe that is causing a irratation ? idk but its annoying anyone else have this problem ?
  Past Member
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:59 pm
I use the same 2-piece wafer/pouch.  Try using a 1-piece pouch for a few weeks and just rotate between the two types as "waste" can't get caught without that plastic ring that 2-piece wafers have.  Suggest simple cohesive seals (but those get expensive) and skin barrier wipes.  You can put some milk of magnesia all around your stoma and skin while changing the wafer - let it stay on for 5min then wipe off, as that tip helps balance acidity from the waste.  
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:06 pm
I also use the two piece Convatec system and have a "dip" so always have some level of skin irritation.  On change day I use the Adapt powder and seal it with a Cavilon no sting barrier film.  I let this dry and repeat the process three more times.  Makes a layer on the irritated skin that helps.  Then I use the Eakin cohesive seal that I cut to fit.  I have the smallest seal and it is still too big.  Cut it smaller and apply right around and on the skin and then the bag and then I wear a belt 24/7.  This keeps the pain away most of the time.  When I have tried ditching the belt it doesn't work as well.  Every now and then I call the company to see if there are new products out there to help with this.  Tried a few things including the moldable strips and bags but always come back to this technique.
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:16 pm
thanks for the advice Smile i've never tried wearing a belt but maybe that could help also, i've just been having a lot of leaks lately. going to try that barrier film also . Thanks !
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:12 pm
If you can get them try Stomahesive wafers 100 x 100.
free if you are in the UK
  Past Member
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:21 am
Seems you're getting good advice already. The stomahesive paste is alcohol based and will sting a lot on broken skin but works so well as a seal in my experience. I'd use skin barrier wipes and eakin seals until the skin clears up then perhaps go back to paste. If the skin is weepy use the powder to soak up the miosture and brush away the excess. That's what got it under control for me. It takes patience and a bit of time for the skin to heal properly. I have read you can become alergic to certain adhesives used on the bags so if all else fails you can try another for sure. Also if you don't get relief perhaps look at your diet. I've heard things like orange juice can make your output more caustic causing premature bag failure.
Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:54 pm
I do the SAME EXACT THING as cee, and I have had a lot of success with it.  Try that method, it really does help!
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.