Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,247 members

What is a bowel replacement surgery?

Posted by janice, on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:44 pm
Am curious.  Have you ever heard of anyone performing a bowel replacement surgery??
Reply by PsychoJane, on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:45 pm
Hum, let me see, I might be wrong in my answer here due to language barrier, but I believe I got it right as far as bowel could either relate to the small intestine or colon right? That being said, I know that they do attempts of that surgery, mostly for young people from what I heard. A friend of mine( God rest his soul ) had Hirschsprung's disease and they attempted to perform a small intestine transplantation. I never really got the clarification as if died from the surgery or the complications itself. But it was withing a week from the surgery. I wish I could have brought a positive note about it, but I dont know that was in 2001, maybe the procedures have evolved since then and that the rate of success is higher. I know it was known to be really risky in the day....
Nurse
Reply by Whoa, on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:30 am
Hi Jancie

Yes, small intestinal transplants have been around for a while; not as common as other organ transplants though.  We don't do them at my hospital, so I couldn't give you  the best updated information.  Just google "intestinal transplant" or "small bowel transplant".  If you are looking for something specific to your disease, add that on.  I was surprised to see some places will do it for Crohn's and results encouraging compared to years ago.

Up and down sides to transplants.

Reply by janice, on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:21 am
thanks.  i found a doc in wash dc that specializes in sm bowel transplants.  Usually, about 3 weeks after a successful surgery,the patient can go off of TPN.
I will seriously pray about this.  DC is about 3-4 hrs from me but may be worth the trip!
Reply by xformerveganx, on Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:39 pm
Yes, there is such a thing called a small bowel transplant. There are only a few hospitals in the US that perform this surgery. I had mine, along with a partial gastrectomy and half of my large intestine removed at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in NYC this past February. Where do you live? Feel free to contact me...
Reply by budd002, on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:07 pm
Well this is good news!! I was seriously considering my garden hose. However I have gone all the way and had my colon removed 2 years ago. Doubt they can reverse that!
Reply by benisthebest, on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:05 pm
mee too my colon removed 2 years ago xx
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.