Interested in meeting or talking to: Male

I am a 57-year-old Female
Interested in meeting or talking to: Anyone

I am a 55-year-old Male
Interested in meeting or talking to: Anyone
Meet and talk to 20,076 OstoMates

Is There Such A Thing???

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:44 pm
Am curious.  Have you ever heard of anyone performing a bowel replacement surgery??
Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:45 pm
Hum, let me see, I might be wrong in my answer here due to language barrier, but I believe I got it right as far as bowel could either relate to the small intestine or colon right? That being said, I know that they do attempts of that surgery, mostly for young people from what I heard. A friend of mine( God rest his soul ) had Hirschsprung's disease and they attempted to perform a small intestine transplantation. I never really got the clarification as if died from the surgery or the complications itself. But it was withing a week from the surgery. I wish I could have brought a positive note about it, but I dont know that was in 2001, maybe the procedures have evolved since then and that the rate of success is higher. I know it was known to be really risky in the day....
Nurse
Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:30 am
Hi Jancie

Yes, small intestinal transplants have been around for a while; not as common as other organ transplants though.  We don't do them at my hospital, so I couldn't give you  the best updated information.  Just google "intestinal transplant" or "small bowel transplant".  If you are looking for something specific to your disease, add that on.  I was surprised to see some places will do it for Crohn's and results encouraging compared to years ago.

Up and down sides to transplants.
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:21 am
thanks.  i found a doc in wash dc that specializes in sm bowel transplants.  Usually, about 3 weeks after a successful surgery,the patient can go off of TPN.
I will seriously pray about this.  DC is about 3-4 hrs from me but may be worth the trip!
Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:39 pm
Yes, there is such a thing called a small bowel transplant. There are only a few hospitals in the US that perform this surgery. I had mine, along with a partial gastrectomy and half of my large intestine removed at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in NYC this past February. Where do you live? Feel free to contact me...
Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:07 pm
Well this is good news!! I was seriously considering my garden hose. However I have gone all the way and had my colon removed 2 years ago. Doubt they can reverse that!
Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:05 pm
mee too my colon removed 2 years ago xx
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.