Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,338 members

No output from stoma

Posted by Jonsey, on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:46 pm
I am new on here. I really need to get some information fron some of you that may have had this problem. i had colon surgery in Aug,. I now wear a bag. For the first time since my surgery I haven't had any output all day in my bag. I have heard people talk about blockage, if this is happening to me bacause of no output, would I have pain? I had a colonstomy. I don't have any pain and I still pass gas through my stoma, but no output. Can you go all day any not have any. Just don't know what to think. I am getting worried something is wrong. Do you think I need to go see my doctor??
Thanks, Marilyn
Reply by mild_mannered_super_hero, on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:38 pm
hello and welcome to the site. i wouldnt be too concerned over 1 day without output. are you eating normally and getting plenty of fuilds?? i have had a colostomy since 2000 and have only had 1 blockage in that length of time.  ileo`s are more prone to blockages in my opinion.  drink plenty of fliuds and give it a day, if you have any pain, consult your dr.
Reply by Lobster, on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:59 am
Passing gas, no pain, I think you're okay. If you had a blockage you would know about it!
Reply by Xerxes, on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:25 pm
Yes, as Lobster has stated, if you have a blockage you would sure know about it. The pain can be quite excruciating and vomiting often accompanies it. You're probably  just constipated.

X_
Reply by Bill, on Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:29 am
Hello Jonsey, As with the other replies, I don't think you need to worry too much about one or two days without output. Much depends upon what you eat and how much .  I had a simlar problem when I first had my colostomy and I went to see the ostomy nurse ( much better than general practitioners who tend to know practically nothing about problems with ostomies). She actually poked around the ostomy with her finger and reassured me that there was nothing to worry about. It was after that I started to irrigate and that gave me much more control on output.  
Best wishes  Bill
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.