No Output in Stoma, Should I Be Worried?

Replies
Views
Jonsey

I am new on here. I really need to get some information from some of you that may have had this problem. I had colon surgery in Aug. I now wear a bag. For the first time since my surgery, I haven't had any output all day in my bag. I have heard people talk about blockage. If this is happening to me because of no output, would I have pain? I had a colostomy. I don't have any pain and I still pass gas through my stoma, but no output. Can you go all day without having any? Just don't know what to think. I am getting worried something is wrong. Do you think I need to go see my doctor??
Thanks, Marilyn

mild_mannered_super_hero

Hello and welcome to the site. I wouldn't be too concerned over 1 day without output. Are you eating normally and getting plenty of fluids? I have had a colostomy since 2000 and have only had 1 blockage in that length of time. Ileo's are more prone to blockages in my opinion. Drink plenty of fluids and give it a day. If you have any pain, consult your doctor.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Lobster

Passing gas, no pain, I think you're okay. If you had a blockage, you would know about it!

Xerxes

Yes, as Lobster has stated, if you have a blockage you would sure know about it. The pain can be quite excruciating and vomiting often accompanies it. You're probably just constipated.

X_

Bill
Hello Jonsey, As with the other replies, I don't think you need to worry too much about one or two days without output. Much depends upon what you eat and how much .  I had a simlar problem when I first had my colostomy and I went to see the ostomy nurse ( much better than general practitioners who tend to know practically nothing about problems with ostomies). She actually poked around the ostomy with her finger and reassured me that there was nothing to worry about. It was after that I started to irrigate and that gave me much more control on output.  

Best wishes  Bill

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
estrogen

I've gone 5 days with no output.Very worried.No pain.