Dark urine and blood in overnight bag - seeking advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Bab

Dark urine and sometimes blood in the overnight bag, has anyone had this problem?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Xerxes

Bab,

There could be a number of causes for this. The blood in the bag may actually be from some bleeding around your stoma caused by some excoriation. The dark urine could also have several causes from lack of water, medications, and food types. Also, however, these could represent more serious causes. If they persist, mention it to your MD, don't hesitate.

X_

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Lobster

Dark urine - lack of hydration?

vulcanBMk2

My output is usually regular yellow. However, I noticed after a good few pints of quality German lager, over Christmas, the output on those occasions was almost white/crystal clear. (All be it with a much greater output)

christiesdad

The remark about dark urine being the result of dehydration is correct. My wife is confined to a hospital bed with a catheter in place. Her urine became copper colored and the nephrologists told me the same thing and that she must consume at least 40 ounces of liquid per day to avoid this. Now her urine is clear again. However, her condition is complicated due to the fact that she is diabetic and also prescribed Coumadin, causing a very strict regimen to be followed concerning her intake of fluids.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Xerxes

Vulcan,

As expected. The alcohol promotes water loss (less retention) and decreased concentration of urine. This can lead to dehydration. That is why alcoholics, among other problems, tend to become dehydrated. So with excess alcohol consumption, we might think that our urine is more dilute and it is, but at the cost of lowering the water content of our body fluids which can be life-threatening.

X_