For the ladies: fistula questions

Replies
Views
Pinky
Hi ladies - I have read here that many of you have had either bladder-vagina or bladder-rectal fistulae. Some of those stories have been pretty scary - like how it took 10 surgeries to finally correct the problem. Well, I'm ready to join the club; I've seen my surgeon and urologist, and in 2 days I see the plastic surgeon about the tissue flap. My surgeon says they can probably take tissue from my right abdominal area, but the doc's RN says it will probably be a gracilus flap (from the leg). Help! I need some words of wisdom, encouragement, anything that can help me grapple with what's coming up (even horror stories!)

I've put this off over a year now - my fistula goes from the bladder through the vagina and into a leftover portion of the rectum below my colostomy. That's right, I pee out of all three orifices! Not pleasant. And I have a constant UTI which smells bad and makes me incontinent as hell. I really do need to get this fixed to salvage what's left of my sanity!

Thank you, sweet ladies for reading this and mulling over your comments. Love to you all!

Pinky
firedup
Dear Pinky,
I'm not going to go into great detail about what I went through, but I will say.....please, don't put it off any longer. My intestines opened up and attached themselves to every organ in my pelvic region and poo was going everywhere. I spent 6 months in the hospital, two of those in a coma. I'm quite lucky to have walked out of that place. I will send you a message if you have any questions for me personally. Take care............Gail
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,365 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.