Travel in India with a Urostomy, Any Tips?

Replies
Views
GA cyclops
I would love to travel in India for a month or so.
At the risk of offending any of you good folks who may live in India, I need to ask a few questions.

I have a urostomy. Most of the books I've read about India, both nonfiction and fiction, describe public hygiene in the major cities as significantly different than what we Westerners are used to. (The books are all by South Asian authors, and include "Maximum City, Bombay Lost and Found" by Suketu Mehta, and several of Salman Rushdie's works.)

I would want to mix with the people, not confine myself to western-style hotels and restaurants, to visit the temples and historical sights, eat the street food, and browse the shops.

If you were me, what precautions, if any, would you take (aside from inoculations and other normal travel preparations)? I would bring my own ostomy supplies.

Or am I being overly cautious? My intent here is NOT to appear to be another Ugly American, but just protective of my health.

Dhanyavaad
CanadaNana
Hi
I also have a urostomy - ileal conduit - surgery was in October 2011, so it's now my new "normal", and I haven't really had any problems since the surgery. I am 67 years old, and in good health. I live in Canada.

I travel - I went on a month-long trip through Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, and Croatia in the summer of 2012. I traveled with my daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter. I took along more than double the supplies I thought I would need, and we traveled carry-on only. The packing was a big challenge, haha. Other than that, though, I had no problems. We stayed in modest but decent hotels. I soaked in the thermal baths in Budapest - no problem. I swam in the ocean in Croatia - no problem. Public toilets are actually easier for me than for most women who either have to squat or sit down to urinate.

I have not been to India, but it is quite likely, in my opinion, that travel there may be more challenging - both as far as accommodations and food, and especially the water.

May I suggest that you check the discussion forum at the BCAN website, as there are members there who have traveled in India, and some members who live in India. It is a website devoted to coping with bladder cancer, and there are many urostomates who are members.
www.bcan.org and then click on Facing Bladder Cancer and then click on support groups in the drop-down menu. That will open a page with instructions on how to join the discussion form.

Good luck! Happy travels!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.