Seeking advice on malabsorption and ileostomy complications

Replies
Views
merryberry

I have had my ileostomy for 28 years and have just started looking for answers to some questions that I cannot find anywhere else. I don't know what took me so long. I suffer from malabsorption, which means I am chronically anemic, fatigued, low in some essential elements such as protein and vitamin B12. The medical establishment's answers are to give me injections and infusions and tell me to eat more meat.
My system does tend to be very fast and output more liquid than solid. I have learned a lot from this site and would like to hear if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

Monsieur Le President

I was recently diagnosed with anemia. I went for various tests, but nothing was discovered.
However, the consultants appeared to discount the fact that I had an ileostomy (38 years, he bragged, topping a mere 28 by a full ten years).
I don't suppose this helps at all.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,432 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I myself have been having B12 vitamin for some years now. It's a fact that some of us in this condition are malnourished through no fault of our own, having liquidy stool and not being able to eat a proper diet and normal solids. I have managed to juggle with different types of foods, hoping to keep the calories going, but most importantly to keep vitamins going in. I was also advised to take multivitamins too, not sure if they help but I do feel I have a bit more energy. Had my ostomy for 30 years now. Tc ambies...

merryberry

Monsieur, you make me feel like a child again. Thank you. My MD poked and prodded everything, and the best answer they could find is that my body does not absorb enough iron to produce healthy red blood cells. Hence the iron infusions.

merryberry

Dear Ambies, thank you for the comment. There doesn't seem to be any solid answers for this kind of problem. I was taking vits before but stopped secondary to surgery. Your input has given me the motivation to start them again.
It is nice just knowing that we are not alone in this. When doctors shake their heads and say, "I just don't know what to do," it can make one feel like we are all alone.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Monsieur Le President

I was in Dublin last week and took a large infusion of Guinness.
It made me feel great (Guinness was good for you).
Until the morning.

Past Member

Merryberry, you're very welcome. Don't ever feel alone, not on the site. There's always someone here to lend an ear and uplift your spirits.

I hear Guinness is good for the blood, hopefully there's no aftermath. In other words, enjoy.

Take care, Ambies....

Past Member

I can have no fiber with my ostomy and can eat very few fruits and vegetables. I recently bought a juicer so I can get the nutrients without the fiber. I love it! I have been adding some ground flaxseed to help slow everything down so it doesn't pass right through me.

merryberry

Picket. Good advice. What model juicer did you purchase? I've heard they can be difficult to clean.

Past Member

I bought a Jack Lalanne Power Juicer Ultimate from Costco (they have such a good return policy). It is stainless steel so you can stick it in the dishwasher once in a while for a really good cleaning. You can also put one of those plastic grocery bags in the pulp catcher which makes it so much easier to clean. It came with a recipe book, DVD with instructions, and a small brush to clean the blade. It takes no time at all to clean for me. I love it!

Past Member

There are great. I have one too. Use it all the time. Great way to get your daily fruit and veggies. TC.