Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,312 members

Atheists and Agnostics on this site

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm
I consider myself non-religious but spiritual. To quote my favorite author (Edward Abbey)

"I am not an Atheist, I am a Eartheist"

Even when I was deathly sick, I never felt the need to pray. My thoughts were with my family and how they would do without me.

I do not believe in a diety, I do not believe in an afterlife. I do believe in nature, in the cosmos, in things that happen that cannot be explained (yet).

I just wanted to see if others out there feel similar, please join this thread.

Aaron

PS-If you are religious, please refrain from commenting on this thread, it's not for you.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:50 pm
i don't necessarily believe in the afterlife or a specific deity, but i do believe in the concept of a soul. I like the idea that the Universe is sentient, and we are It trying to figure Itself out. I also like the idea of a "Prime Mover", a consciousness that we cannot comprehend that got the Universe going (with the Big Bang), which i guess could be considered a deity, but i don't pray to It.
Reply by christiesdad, on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:50 pm
I think sir;
That regardless of your admonition not to post replies to your post, you will receive some responses.  There are after all some things that simply cannot be explained by the "big bang" theory.  Merely by the fact that it is after all , a theory.  No one knows for sure.  I personally find much solace in the fact that there just might be another explaination.  It is hard to believe that something as  simple and as beautiful as a blade of grass, cannot be reproduced in a labratory by man,          just happened.

Yes my friend, I imagine that you have opened up your own Pandora's box, especially in this forum where so many have gotten solace and strength from the very diety that you so disdain.

Good luck though.................

Jack
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:23 pm
I think the request is about avoiding lengthy posts about accepting The Lord Jesus Christ as one's Personal Saviour and related.

And i detect no disdain to any deity, but thank you for your opinion.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:37 pm

christiesdad wrote:

Yes my friend, I imagine that you have opened up your own Pandora's box, especially in this forum where so many have gotten solace and strength from the very diety that you so disdain.

Good luck though.............

Jack

You are the exact reason I asked religious people not to respond. You assume because I am not religious that I have disdain for a deity. Well you are wrong christiedad, I have disdain for people who feel the need to not give me the freedom to NOT be religious.

People like you...
Reply by christiesdad, on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:17 pm
Ok, so maybe the word disdain was not the best selection of a word for me to use and I have gotten my come-uppance about that and I appologize if I offended you sir.  What I meant was that there are a lot of people in here that dearly cling to their beliefs sir.

And of course you have every right to your convictions.  I should have not, as you so well pointed out, replied to this post.  I will not in the future.

be well,
Jack
Reply by Lobster, on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:40 am

christiesdad wrote:
What I meant was that there are a lot of people in here that dearly cling to their beliefs sir.

There are indeed and those that do believe and those that don't will never agree. I think the saying goes something like 'you can argue my beliefs but not my faith'. For both sides of the camp that generally means end of a discussion that would just be going round in a circle.

I personally would like to say I am agnostic but I think athiest is more likely.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:06 am
For me, it's a matter of faith, not necessarily a matter of belief. Does that make me agnostic?
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:26 pm
i'm a cross between agnostic, dyslexic and insomniac,.. i stay awake all night wondering if there really IS a Dog   Wink
Reply by christiesdad, on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:04 pm

waterboy wrote:
i'm a cross between agnostic, dyslexic and insomniac,.. i stay awake all night wondering if there really IS a Dog   Wink

Aw,, now sarcasam
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:26 pm
Actually, no,.. it's just plain old humor. You just can't help yourself, can you?
Reply by gutenberg, on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:26 pm
Hi waterboy, man but that saying has been around for a long time, I have no problem writing it down, but telling it to someone I always screw it up. Good one though, Ed
Reply by iMacG5, on Sat May 25, 2013 2:28 pm
Hey Aaron, sorry I didn't see this earlier.  I'm very interested.  I actually wrote some stuff about God, prayer and the like and I have no real proof about so many of those things.  I listen to and respect all intelligent opinions on the subject and hope to learn from them.  
You write that you believe in nature and the cosmos.  I don't know what you mean by that but I'm interested. As far as things that can't be explained, hell (no pun intended), sometimes my own actions are unexplainable to me.
The most enticing question to me is "what was before the Big Bang?"  Or, "what was before the beginning?"  Any thoughts?
Respectfully,
Mike
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sat May 25, 2013 2:54 pm

iMacG5 wrote:
The most enticing question to me is "what was before the Big Bang?"  Or, "what was before the beginning?"

This gets my theoretical physics juices flowing, which may not be on topic for this thread. Such as did Time exist before the Big Bang or was it created by it? If it did exist, then what was going on when it was Big Bang Eve?

But as far as theology and faith and all that rot, i will reintroduce the concept of the "Prime Mover", or that which got the Big Bang a'banging, because how else can you get something from nothing?

A
Reply by gutenberg, on Sat May 25, 2013 8:02 pm
Some day when you have an hour to spare I'm sure you will find this lecture by Lawrence Krauss explain how we can get a universe from nothing, a really interesting lecture that most people will find rewarding, Ed, universalist,

Lawrence Krauss- The Universe From Nothing

http://www.openculture.com/2011/09/a_universe_from_nothing_by_lawrence_krauss.html
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.