Need more stool solidifiers? Share your suggestions!

Replies
Views
Re4n1m4t3d

I just read here that marshmallows are a good solidifier. I know peanut butter works well, and oatmeal and rice for me. Any other suggestions?

Past Member

Potatoes in any shape or form; baked, roasted, mashed, steamed, boiled, French fries, chips, crisps, wedges etc always work for me.

The humble spud has an almost instant effect on thickening things up.

Also porridge (oatmeal), white bread/toast and rice have a similar effect.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,381 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Xerxes

Macaroni with the sauce (gravy) has always worked for me.

X_

Mrs.A

Bananas

garfish

Apples without peel. Unless you chew very well.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
gutenberg
Hi ya garfish, I was just reading a medical release about all these doctors around the world looking into the reasons for Alzheimer's disease and two thing caught my attention. Apparently 4 cups of coffee a day and apples, or apple juice 3 to 4 glasses a day were found to prevent this disease from progressing. Anyway the strange thing, at least to me was some of the people had all the markers for the disease, yet they showed no outward signs of the disease, so just keep on with the apples, if only they had said something like a pack or two of cigarettes a day would also do the same, in a way they probably do because they will kill you before alzheimer's catches up to you. Take care my man, Ed
garfish

Hey to you too.
I think it's the pectin that firms things up. Like what they use for making jelly. It's naturally in apples. Anything else is just serendipity. BTW, I was a flyboy in the press room of the Kansas City Star while I was in high school. Got a nose full of ink and learned to drink and smoke. So eat, smoke, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we may die. But I'm just an optimist.

Caledonia

Hi, I know it's a med, but Codeine Phosphate was the only thing that firmed mine up properly.

Best of luck.

garfish

A good buzz also.

pussycat

Hi Ed, glad to see you are still making very positive suggestions for everything. Love you lots.
But really, Garfish, if it's an ileostomy, nothing is better than mashed banana and Greek yogurt with some stewed fresh apples. No added sugar. Use a small amount of fruit juice
to stew. It has allowed me to travel reasonably long journeys (2 hours) without needing to panic to find a loo. Hope this helps.
Love, Marilyn.

Nicky-T

Cheese. Even works in Arkansas, so it should work in North Carolina.

shell

Potatoes!!!!! I have had an ileostomy for 3 years now.... Potatoes are key! And as an added benefit, they are full of potassium - which is a must for those of us with an ostomy!!!

cassiemarie

Any fiber powder, like Metamucil, Citracel, etc., works for me. I also agree with everything everyone posted. Why is it that all the foods that help seem to be fattening??? Lol. Full of carbs...

cassiemarie

Love your macaw, by the way. I have a green-wing, a blue and gold, and an African grey.

Mrs.A

Thanks Cassiemarie, I would love to see some pics of yours. I will check out your profile and see if you have any there. Birds are wonderful to have as pets but can be demanding like most other pets, as I am sure you know with three of them.

gutenberg
Hi Gar and hello pussycat, first post in weeks, I think, and all this talk about food makes me ill In the last few weeks I dropped over 20 pounds and when I quit narcotics there's nothing I want to eat, not too popular with the wife, yeah I know I gotta eat and all that shit but back in the old days all it took was a few joints and I couldn't get enough food into me, today I wouldn't know where to buy it but back when I could grow a pretty good crop and then the buildings around me just choked my plants out, in a manner of speaking, but seeing two police cars out my back window and it was the end of my gardening projects.
Now every morning I use a q-tip in my ear and check if I'm full of shit or not. Works for me
You all have a good day, Ed
garfish

I'm really sorry to hear that. If you were my neighbor, I'd make sure you didn't want for a good appetizer or two. I know it helps me to keep my nutrition levels up. I'm looking at Oreos and Doritos right now. Don't they have medical weed where you are? Take care and eat something.

gutenberg
Hey Gar, I really appreciate your words, but 15 years ago I used to grow quite a crop and gave over half of it away, just made sure I kept at least 12 oz for myself and starting tomorrow I shall be calling on those friends of bygone years, back then my biggest problem was a lumbar spine, two operations, the second one had me in such a state that for the first time in my life I wanted to shoot that surgeon in the belly just to make him suffer as much as he made me and that I thought was the last surgeon I'd ever see, HA, then 2002 came along, first a heart attack, kept me in the hospital for three weeks and that's when they found the abdominal aorta aneurysm, made me wait for a year and then that surgeon screwed up royally, five weeks later I got really sick one night and was put in an ambulance for a fast ride 150 miles away, for most of the time I was out of it but when I woke up ten days later found out I had been through two surgeries and woke up with the bag, so OK, I thought that was the end of it for a while, nope, now we have blockages, some of the worse pain I could imagine and one of our local surgeons said he could fix this for me and I readily agreed and since that day I never had another blockage. Out of all the surgeons I've come across in the last ten years he is the only man I would let near me with a knife, to him I owe what little sanity I have left.
Tomorrow I see my family physician and will surely ask about medical marijuana, hell I don't care if its medical or not, just some half decent shit, take care, Ed
lulu1313

The best thing I have gotten for thickening is called Smelleze. Not only does it control odor, but one spoonful gels everything like jello.

gutenberg
Hi ya Gar, just curious, I've heard a lot about medical marijauna but never heard of a price of it, if you have ant information on the subject would really appreciate some feedback, Ed
garfish

I read something about Health Canada's license to grow. Here's one article I found:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/smelly-medical-marijuana-grow-op-major-headache-nova-194708885.html

I live on a Dutch island, so I get my medical weed for free from the government. Ask your doctor. You sound like the perfect candidate. I get mine for back pain and adhesion from surgery. Good luck, now go eat something.

gutenberg
Hey Gar , thanks for the information, have it in my favorites, now to get in to see my doctor, not an easy task at times.
Anyway, I seem to remember you worked at a newsapaper and was wondering if you remembered any mistakes that got by the proofreaders. We had one Linotype operator you just couldn't trust for a moment. You can just Imagine what he could do with the word WHAREHOUSESALE, AND ONE OF HIS BETTER ONES WAS AN ADD FOR SKIN CREME. In any event it came out to rub this creme on your face and arse, and as it happened as soon as it hit the stores a local Doctor, I think he was a patholigist, seen the mistake but by this time we were already notified and made a mad dash to replace the ones with the error, but not so the good Doctor, out he goes and buys 25 copies and when he gets home finds the mistake had been corrected. And now the fun begins, next day he was in the office raising hell with the boss, he wanted 25 copies with the mistake and in n o way was the boss going to give it to him, he did offer to buy them back but the doctor was so cross he threw them on the floor and walked out just steaming, it sure made for a lot of fun arouind the office. Dijaever run across any things like this, Ed
garfish

Noting that good. I was just a lowly fly-boy down in the dungeon with the presses. Back when they used lead plates. Made $22.50 for an eight-hour shift and all the whiskey you could hold. Great high school job. Good luck with the meds. Go eat something.

gutenberg
You had lead plates!!! All our pages were done by hand set and when that page got locked up and being carried to the press I can still recall the whole page falling to the floor, you would have loved to hear the pressman have a talk to the compositor, language so colorful it would look good in a comic section. I ran that old press for a couple of years and really learned to curse, then onto Linotype and then to four color offset printing, funny thing I had never run any type of offset press and I was on the Linotype and one day my boss almost begged me to try to run it. So all day setting type and at night trying to figure out how this sucker worked, in the 1 1/2 years we had this machine we went through six operators and be damned if I was going to let any machine get the best of me, after ten years it finally did, developed disc problems and the boss had to hire two guys to try and run this machine and all they bitched about was they needed a Heidelberg and finally the boss gave in, guess what, the Heidelberg was faulty, naturally, so one weekend, shortly after two surgeries the boss had someone load the press up for me and I managed to get 20,000 impressions without too much trouble and I had never run a Heidelberg before. Well the long and the short of it was the boss had these two guys in his office for a nice little chat, oh, to be a fly on the wall!!!
Another cute story, I'll try to make it short. We were in the process of setting a book for the local university, it was about half done and this prick comes in and says he wants the book set in Baskerville Type, man was I pissed, I was also production manager at the time, anyway my boss tells me not to worry as this ass was going to be paying for the new type fonts, so, OK
When the new fonts came in we set one page with the new type, Baskerville, and the other with Press Roman and nothing else marked on the sheets, are you ready for this, they had to send the sheets back down and have us identify which was which, we could have marked them wrong and they'd be none the wiser, but I have yet to get my revenge so before all the pages go to camera I had one of the typists set a short paragraph in Press Roman and let'er go. There is only one person I know who could find that wayward paragraph and that would be my brother who really knew his typefaces and wouldn't let me put type back in the cases because I've been known to screw up in that category at least. Have a good one Gar, Ed
garfish

Fortunately, I don't remember much of the dungeon time. I bet you were a troublemaker and probably still are.

gutenberg
Actually Gar I can remember a few times my boss got so mad at me he said "if I wasn't the best worker he had he'd fire me" and I started laughing and when he asked what's so funny, I asked him who would fix the camera, all one ton of it, and the plate burner and the film processors and plate processors and all the presses, and by this time he was starting to laugh, all because I had to work one weekend and left all my empties Beer bottles there and told him next time I'm asked to work the weekend at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon he could expect the same thing, but being the swell guy I am in the future I took my beer bottles home with me. Ed
ZaliBee

I have an ileo and one spoonful of peanut butter does it for me every time.

sweede0

What is Smelleze? Where do you get it and how do you use it?

Past Member

Hi all, have a look into calcium bentonite, it has many uses in many cultures.

It's almost like drinking milk, not offensive at all. I would suggest buying food grade though.

Steve

mooza

My output is very much like liquid, so get yourself some ILEO GEL. I wouldn't go without using it; it's amazing. And if there's watery output, these little sachets will turn into gel. So voila, liquid turns to a gel, which has saved me. I recommend this stuff, especially for volunteering with OSTOMY. Heads up, each sachet is not sure who else makes these, but in OZ, it's an OMNIGON product. Good luck and well, weed just makes me paranoid but is helpful for foodie yum yum. LOL... P.S. Steve, I would rather eat rat poison than milk any day. LMAO. Dairy I have occasionally, milk now that's offensive. LOL. Great for tea and coffee, but otherwise yuck yuck. Haven't drunk a glass of milk since grade 3 and was made to drink all at primary school. I'll never forget that teacher. LOL. She was a her but probs now a he.

But I would rather use these as they are much cheaper and non-addictive. Haha, cheers ME MOOZA.