Reducing odor from colostomy bag?

Replies
Views
Blizzard

I recently had a colostomy bag (Nov 2012). I lost a lot of weight (45 lbs). I'm now trying to put on some weight and have a huge appetite. I have a lot of output in my bag which causes an odor. Any suggestions on how to reduce the odor when I empty my bag? I'm using the one-piece bag with the Velcro at the end. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Mrs.A

Hi Blizzard, I too use a one-piece pouch with the Velcro closure. I use M9. It is a blue liquid that you put into your pouch. You only need a few drops and it really helps. Some folks don't like it because it is blue and I think, they think, it should be colorless, but nonetheless it works well for me. I have ordered it from my pouch supplier with my 3-month supplies. I also (when home) rinse out my pouch between emptying with lukewarm water or cold depending on the need. You could also add a little bit of vinegar to the rinse water. I am sure if you search the forum you will find more information and ideas from others. I remember reading some post that said you could try putting some Tic Tacs in your pouch too. Hope this helps.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Blizzard

Thanks, Mrs. A. Tic-Tacs, huh? Running out to 7-11 now. Hopefully that will work while I'm out and about.

dsmithsc91

I use a mixture of about 2 parts hydrogen peroxide and 1 part body wash. I find the peroxide "takes the edge off" the odor a good bit and the scent of the body wash helps a little too. I keep little bottles of the stuff at home, work, my car, and my gym bag. It's not a perfect solution, but it's easy and inexpensive.

Please share if you come up with something that works for you.

BTW, I recently had to empty at my Dr's office. I didn't have any of the mixture in my bag at the time, and it was pretty stinky. They had some of the M9 in a spray bottle, and it was amazing. It completely covered up the smell. I'm going to try some next time I reorder supplies.

Good luck.

Dave

Xerxes
Hi,

I have never tried it, but I have been told by some that simple mouthwash added to the appliance will help. I also heard that adding aspirin helps.

X_

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
beatrice

Tried TicTacs and M9 - both work.

Just a reminder ... with any homemade products (even the TicTacs) ... make sure the product doesn't come in contact with the stoma.

Best of luck.

Blizzard

Thanks for the warning.

Blizzard

Thanks

Blizzard

I did try the Tic Tac yesterday and it did help a little. Would like to get some M9.

Blizzard

Thanks, guys, for all the tips. You're the best! Now I know where to go for quick answers.

sony34
Hello,
The M9 made by Hollister has definitely worked for me. I order it with my monthly supply order...
Mrs.A

I agree, Sony.

Don't know what I would do without my little blue liquid! I have also heard that even mouthwash can help get out some of the smell from the pouch when rinsing between changes.

Mrs.A

I agree, Sony.

I don't know what I would do without my little blue liquid! I have also heard that even mouthwash can help get out some of the smell from the pouch when rinsing between changes.

Mrs.A

I agree, Sony.

I don't know what I would do without my little blue liquid! I have also heard that even mouthwash can help get out some of the smell from the pouch when rinsing between changes.

Mrs.A

I agree, Sony.

Mrs.A

I agree, Sony.

Angelicamarie

Mrs. A, I tried Hollister B M9. It seems to turn my stool dark. It doesn't help me, Angelica Marie.

Angelicamarie

Xerxes, I read your reply to helping with the IDOR. Have you tried the mouthwash and aspirin yet? As far as the aspirin, is it 81 mg or 325 mg? Or does it not matter? Angelica Marie

Xerxes

Angelicamarie,

As I said, I never tried it myself, but from what I've been told, the larger dose of aspirin is used. I am not sure as to the amount of mouthwash that is effective.

X_

Angelicamarie

Thanks Xerxes for responding back, understood. Have a good day!!!! Angelicamarie

Mrs.A

Hi Angelicamarie,

How about Brava lubricating odor control deodorant, have you tried it? It has a very nice smell and it's clear so no blue color to turn the stool dark. Here's a link in case you would like to check it out.

https://www.coloplast.us/brava-lubricating-deodorant-1-en-us.aspx

I think you can send for a free sample too!

Angelicamarie

Hi Mrs. A, I wrote the contact down. I'll see if I can get a sample first. If not, I'll buy it. Thanks Mrs. A for sharing. Angelicamarie

Mrs.A

Any word on the sample yet? Hope you find that it's helpful. I like it but with everything else, it is something that you have to keep adding to the pouch after each cleaning. I put some into a smaller bottle to keep in my purse.

Rudolf

I don't know if they sell Tic Tac in the U.S., but I have put one mint Tic Tac into the pouch and it does help to mask some of the odor.

Mrs.A

Hi Rudolf,

Yes, we have all types of Tic Tacs in the US of many different flavors. I've used them as well. They do okay for normal days, but for days when I eat what adds to a bad odor, I like the Brava deodorant better.