Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,232 members

Ole trivia

Posted by christiesdad, on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:16 pm
did anyone ever solve that trivia question about the two guys with land?

Re: two guys have land


If A gives B, 7 acres- they will have the same amount of land

if B gives A, 7 acres-A will have twice as much land as B

How much land did A and B  have to begin with?

I still have not it figured it out,  but some one with an algebra back ground should be able to.

How about it ?
Reply by bob.hewson, on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:34 am
If you get the answer for that please tell me what is the difference between a duck?

I was told it the left hand front wheel of a Ducati motorbike, but I am not so sure.
Reply by christiesdad, on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:24 am
                                 
bob.hewson wrote:
If you get the answer for that please tell me what is the difference between a duck?

I was told it the left hand front wheel of a Ducati motorbike, but I am not so sure.


Bob,

WHAAAAAT?
Reply by bob.hewson, on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:27 am
                                 
christiesdad wrote:
                                 
bob.hewson wrote:
If you get the answer for that please tell me what is the difference between a duck?

I was told it the left hand front wheel of a Ducati motorbike, but I am not so sure.


Bob,

WHAAAAAT?


Sorry, just not feeling myself, but then that would be masturbation, wouldn't it?
Reply by Lobster, on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:33 am
It’s kind of a trick question.xmlo/o
o /o
Part 1: they start off with A has 28 and B 14, A gives B 7 so now A has 21 and so does Bo/o
o /o
Part 2: they both have 21 but when B gives A 7 it goes back to A has 28 and B has 14o/o
Reply by gutenberg, on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:11 pm
Hey Bob, a duck has webbed feet and when it meets a Ducatti, its defeat
Reply by bob.hewson, on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:05 am
Well done Lobster, I spent far too long on that problem.




Than you Ed for your input, I was going to take offence at it but I decided to take the gate instead.....
Reply by christiesdad, on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:23 pm
Bob & Ed,

I think that both of you are off your medication!

Heh, heh

Jack
Reply by christiesdad, on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:26 pm
                                 
Lobster wrote:
It’s kind of a trick question.xmlo/o
o /o
Part 1: they start off with A has 28 and B 14, A gives B 7 so now A has 21 and so does Bo/o
o /o
Part 2: they both have 21 but when B gives A 7 it goes back to A has 28 and B has 14o/o
Reply by bob.hewson, on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:34 pm
                                 
christiesdad wrote:
                                 
Lobster wrote:
It’s kind of a trick question.xmlo/o
o /o
Part 1: they start off with A has 28 and B 14, A gives B 7 so now A has 21 and so does Bo/o
o /o
Part 2: they both have 21 but when B gives A 7 it goes back to A has 28 and B has 14o/o



It looks like christiesdad has also forgotten their meds as well as including something in the quote.
Reply by larry, on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:51 pm
49 acres and 35 acres at the start
Reply by christiesdad, on Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:51 am
                                 
larry wrote:
49 acres and 35 acres at the start


By Jove Larry, You are right.  I've know only one man who solved this puzzle.  He was a genius with math.  I watched him solve the problem using algebra.  Not being a math kinda guy, it was all Greek to me and I had forgotten the answer.  How did you do it, with algebra or just using addition and subtraction?  I tried  the ladder and after wasting two legal pads, just gave up.

I take my hat off to you!

Jack                                             "A"=49        "B"=35         "A" gives "B" 7 acres
                                                         -   7             + 7
                                               equals    42             42           Same amount

                                                     "A"=49         "B"=35         "B" gives "A" 7 acres
                                                          + 7              -   7
                                                 equals  56                28         Twice as much
Reply by larry, on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:29 pm
just figured it out.  i have forgotten all of my algebra from high school
Reply by gutenberg, on Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:52 pm
Fift years ago that question would have been a snap, but a lot of grey matter went south to my ileostomy pouch and now I have shit for brains, Ed

PS: back for a little while at least
Reply by bob.hewson, on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:09 am
                                 
gutenberg wrote:
Fift years ago that question would have been a snap, but a lot of grey matter went south to my ileostomy pouch and now I have shit for brains, Ed

PS: back for a little while at least


Whenever I have any problem in remembering anything, if I can remember, I blame it on "Chemo Brain" it is better than blaming old age.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.
All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Currently online: 18    
3 members & 15 visitors
w30bob (m)