Edgepark

In this discussion
Replies
Views
kbd
For the first time ever I'm beginning to hate Edgepark. Between trying to push automatic shippments and getting kicked off of their hold line twice with my recent phone call, I'm considering dropping them and going with my local pharmacy. Anyone else having issues with Edgepark recently?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

djcwiley
Kdb,

No but I believe you will need to check first with your insurance has to what medical supply places are covered under your plan. Often times, pharmacies do not carry any ostomy supplies so they would have special order them which may be costly. I would recommend looking online, try liberty.com

Hope this helps.

Debra
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Gypsy
Shields is fabulous. Give them a try.
nbaker
I dealt with Edgepark ONCE and only once. I do not have medical insurance so I pay for my supplies out-of-pocket. My ostomy nurse had told me that Edgepark would discount my supplies because of no insurance. NOT SO. They charged me over $200.00 for one box of 20 Eakins and 100.00 for one box of 10 one-piece appliances. I immediately went on-line and researched colostomy supply places and found three that I deal with. They are self-pay. Not sure how that works with people who have insurance, maybe you have to pay up front and then submit your own insurance claims, however, if you are self-pay I deal with Medical Mega, they are the least expensive (one-third the price of Edgepark for the exact same supplies) even with shipping cost of 6.99 for the entire order. The other two companies I deal with are STL Medical (St Louis) and Express Medical. These two are a bit more expensive than Medical Mega but sometimes they run sales, or give percentages off or just do a 20.00 or 30.00 off entire order promotion and then the prices are great. However, my main dealings are with Medical Mega and I usually buy for about three to four months at a time so that really brings down the shipping cost (6.99 divided by 3 or 4 is a nominal amount per month). Just an example: The Convetec Eakins - Edgepark was $203.00 per box of 20, and Medical Mega is 89.00 per box of 20. BIG DIFFERENCE for the exact same thing in a sealed box. Of course, these companies are all in the US. Hope this information helps someone in the same situation that I find myself.
Granite
I have had issues with the two big supply companies. Both have terrible customer service. Now I deal with a small local company that treats me like they want my business, and I matter. Thats all I ask, "treat me like you want my business" I couldnt be happier with these people. Never a problem, I send a personal email to the buyer, and within a day or two at the most. my supplies are at my doorstep. Smaller is better in this case. Good luck Tom

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
vikinga
I am also having a problem with Byram Healthcare. Maybe someone here can shed some light on this for me. Back in November 2012 I was told when making my monthly order that I could do as many customers do before the end of the year ....order a 90 day supply. That way I would still have it within my 2012 (deductable met) year. Great tip I said! So December 28th I did just that. When I received my order it said that all the boxes of my bags , but one, was on back order and would be shipped shortly. I thought nothing of it UNTIL I saw that they invoiced my insurance for them in 2013 so now I owe them!! They say that they can only invoice when shipped and that otherwise it is insurance fraud. What??? So to heck with my ordering timely and following their idea of doing the 90 days. Anyone know anything about this interpretation of things? Am I being had or what?
What can I do, if anything?
Thanks
L
sony34
I have been using EdgePark since 7/2012 and I have not had any good experiences with them either. I also used Byram before them and they were only so so but better than EdgePark. When I first started ordering I was using Apria healthcare and they were the best that I have sued so far. But everytime my employer changes our insurance companies I have had to change supply companies...It can be such a drag
Past Member
I had terrible problems with Edgepark in 2010 and 2011. THey billed me for the difference between their bill and what my insurance carrier paid. According to their contract with United Healthcare, this is illegal. However, they billed me anyway. It wasn't until United Healthcare told me that I didn't owe anything that I found out I was being cheated. United Healthcare's legal team had to send several nasty letters threatening legal action before Edgepark coughed up what they owed me. If UHC hadn't gotten involved, I never would have gotten my money back. Needless to say, I'm not an Edgepark customer any more. I also never take a provider's word that I owe them money; now I check the UHC website to see what (if anything) I really owe.
DixieMae
The first of the year there were 5 phone calls between Edgepark and myself - covering deductable, products on back order, etc. It seems as if we were going in a circle. Then because of non-payment by insurance I can no longer get Osto-Gel. I've had problems with Coloplast pouches just falling off and thinking about changing my pouches and suppliers. Have to do some research. I wonder if Edgepark has gotten too big for their britches and have been slacking in service.
cee
I had excellent experience with Edgepark but my insurance company dropped them. They said they were out of network because they were out of State. I had to find a durable medical supply company that would work with me. They told me to order everything the doctor wrote on the script. Like vikinga I did as told and got a big supply. Then they charged me because i went over the number allotted in the time frame. I ended up returning unopened supplies and told them to reimburse me. And, by the by, the durable medical order comes from another State anyway!!!

It is all so annoying.

cee
gutenberg
Here in Nova Scotia, Canada, I can get all my supplies from Shoppers Drugs and they are aware that under Pharmacare at the beginning of April we start paying 30% of the cost of all medical supplies until we reach the $400 mark and after that its all free. But the good thing about shoppers they know all about that April 1 deadline so about a week ago I got some extra supplies and they were short four boxes of flanges and last night I got a call asking how many boxes I had in the order and when I told them they promised to have them to me by tomorrow. I really find this drug store great. Just an aside, I use Hollister products and make it a habit of looking around every drug store and find where they keep their ostomy products and in every one I have seen all these Hollister boxes and after reading some of the posts here I empathize with all who have to jump through the hoops with having to order from a supplier. I wish you all the best of luck and after all the shit we went through this is one more kick in the ass nobody deserves. Ed
freddybear
I DROPPED EDGEPARK AND WENT WITH DUKE ON MY OSTOMY SUPPLIES. I HAD NO TROUBLE WITH THEM ON THE PHONE. I AM ON MEDICARE AND HAVE USED CYMED POUCHES. NOW THEY WILL NOT ACCEPT PAYMENT FROM MEDICARE ON CYMED SO I WOULD HAVE TO PAY OUT OF POCKET. THEY ALSO SEEM TO HAVE THEIR OWN RULES WHEN IT COMES TO MEDICARE. FOR EXAMPLE THEY WOULD ONLY ALLOW ONE 8 OZ DEODORIZER PER MONTH WHERE AS DUKE AND OTHER COMPANIES SAY "AS NEEDED." MY DIABETES SUPPLIES FROM THEM IS CRAZY. THEY BLAME MEDICARE. EACH TIME I SPEAK TO A REP I GET DIFFERENT ANSWERS
cee
Seriously....in Canada you can find ostomy supplies in
the DRUGSTORE?? Wow!
Anoniem18
A local medical supply store in Ajax, Ontario Canada charges $153.00 including tax for a box of 20 Eakin rings, which seems reasonable. $203 is obviously excessive.
vikinga
I think even $153 for 20 Eakin rings is ridiculous! I mean...come on folks....what are they made of....gold? I think there are enough ostomates these days that this is gouging.
Past Member
I have heard Parthenon has decent prices if you have to pay out of pocket.
Past Member
Hey, everyone, I just discovered that Ebay and Amazon carry ostomy supplies at far reduced prices, for those whose insurance doesn't cover it. The difference in cost is phenomenal!
Anoniem18
Surprise - I checked ebay.com but found that as an example hollister 8331 was offered at $55.00 same product at MedicalMega.com was $50.95 with shipping to the US is ~$7.00. And MedicalMega ships to Canada, but be careful it might be held up by Health Canada, mine took 2 months, but I saved about $120 on a $176 US order.
And then there was someone who claimed $150 per box (10) - 8331 - but offered them
for free to anyone who could use them (Posted 9/6/2011);
obviously it was $150 for 3 boxes, but still a very nice gesture.
There is one website which shows prices in either CDN or US $.
Prices almost double when you checkmark Canadian.
So make sure you compare before you buy.
In any case it pays to shop around.
Ed
Penguins7
Try the below site. Penguins7

www.bestbuyostomy.com