Ostomy Too Low for Me to See

In this discussion
Replies
Views
hometown

Hi all, does anyone out there have an ostomy too low to see to change the appliance without using a mirror and then use one hand to place the appliance on? The surgery was done out of state and now the surgeon says because mine was an emergency, I was not measured and it is much too low. Now my health doesn't seem to be well enough for another surgery to correct it. I get lots of pain and when I walk because of the position the appliance is in, it rubs back and forth causing me pain all the time. I appreciate it if anyone else has this problem to let me know. Thanks and good health to all, Joyce.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

WOUNDED DOE
Warm Greetings to you hometown

.....well, I do not have this same situation, however, I have actually numerous times had to change my appliance in the dark over my many osty years, and what I have done in situations when I could not see, is first make sure the new appliance is ready to go, all tape removed and prepared in every way, (and by the way I hope you are using light flexable pouches to help provide more comfort) .....at any rate, what I have had to do, is use the palm of my left hand to slowly and softly slide across my tummy then extend only my pointer finger and middle finger outward in a 'V' shape towards the stoma, like making the 'Peace' sign and allow those two fingers to gently and slowly locate and slide around your stoma, ..then relax and remain in that position while your right hand slowly does the meet'n greet with washcloth or toilet paper around the area, your 'Peace Sign' will guide your other hand around the area during cleaning and drying.....when you are ready, pick up your new pouch ready to go, resume the practice of slicing your left hand 'Peace' fingers to guide for a few moments,...remain 'In Peace' with your stoma xoxoo then allow your right hand to 'thumb the hole of your pouch' while you guide your new pouch over the stoma, then again both your hands can work together to slowly slide it on and into comfy position.........gently pressing the seal and the tape around the area..........

Trust me......each time you do this it will get easier. Everything is fumbly at first.......the first time we try to tie our shoe strings.......the first time we try to color inside the lines...........and even the first time we try to dress our stomas when we cannot see..................all falls into place as if on 'auto pilot' in time dear...........xoxo

If you still continue to have trouble at first, I hope you have a friend to assist you or phone a local nurse or Home Care Worker to give you a bit of help.

Much love to you and good luck!

~ Doe
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
marisa.s

I sit in a chair in the bathroom to change my bag. I put the mirror on the toilet seat and place the chair where I can have a full view of my stoma. This frees up both hands. Buy a mirror that will sit at the right height for viewing your stoma.

I have also read where people wear the bag sideways rather than hanging straight down. This may help with the rubbing. Or you can purchase a bag cover that is made of soft cloth to reduce the effects of the rubbing. I purchased the bag covers at C S Ostomy - they have all sorts of covers.

Hope this helps. M