Bleeding around stoma after heavy lifting?

Replies
Views
Welshman

Has anyone suffered with this? I have been working on the garden for the last few days. I have been doing a bit of heavy lifting. For the last three evenings, I have had quite a bit of blood in my pouch. Three evenings ago, there was quite a lot of blood. It seems to be coming not from the bowel, but from the area around the stoma.

Bill
Hello Welshman.

I occasionally experience this but never (before now) linked it with physical hard work.  I just put it down to the fact that my body is gradually disintingrating and now it seems I'm falling apart at the seams! Mine mostly shows when I'm cleaning around it so I put it down to me being too enthusiastic with the wipes. Anyway, it appears to heal up on it's own after a few days so I don't bother about it.

Best wishes  Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,444 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

pussycat
Hi Welshman,

As Bill says, many ostomists experience bleeding around the stoma
that is visible on wipes, but it sounds to me as though you are seeing more than
the norm, if you are finding it in your bag. I suggest that you, at least, phone a stoma
nurse, who will either ease your mind or get it seen to,
Best wishes,
Pussycat
WOUNDED DOE

I've had my ostomy since age 10 and grew up on a farm doing everything under the sun as they say lol, from hoisting hay bales onto the back of a hay wagon and stacking them into the hayloft of the barn, to lifting and working with many heavy objects and animals, and many hours gardening etc.....and up until approximately a year ago also splitting my own wood for the winter as I lived alone for years so much physical labor all through the years did occasionally make me bleed also.
Sometimes we bleed around the stoma due to the acidic output which breaks down our skin into red sore bleeding areas, but when I am especially gardening or doing something that involves more bending, I discovered that the barriers and even the stoma itself is moving around so much more that this causes the problem........make sure the seal or barrier ring around your stoma is not too tight when doing activities involving more bending (in fact, these are times when adhesive PASTE is better than a solid ring which makes things more flexible yet protected) ........of course any seal or barrier ring should cover the area comfortably against the stoma to help prevent the output from getting on the skin....it can be a delicate balance for sure..............however if you continue to bleed I agree a little visit to your Osty Nurse is always a good idea .....try not to worry though, ......

~Doe

Welshman

Thanks to you all. I took the advice and phoned my Stoma Nurse. She told me off for overdoing it at my age. I am only 58. She told me to put my feet up for a few days. I had lots of sympathy from my 3 sister-in-laws. But my three daughters don't get fooled anymore. The rest has done the trick. The last two days have been blood-free. Thanks again for the support.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Monsieur Le President

The Doe does it.
Bang on WD

WOUNDED DOE

Cheers to you, Monsieur!
Welshman
Words of wisdom and comfort from beautiful women like Pussy Cat and Wounded Doe are always very welcome. Thank you, ladies.
Pooter

Had the same problem after hernia surgery. Went back to work after 6 weeks. Bag would fill up with blood every 30 min. Took bag off once to see what was happening. Blood spurted out from around stoma, went to ER and of course it stopped. This went on for a week and finally went to surgeon and he put a stitch where it had been bleeding. Have not had any more problems. Also had not worked since then, worked at company that required a lot of lifting and stooping, so maybe that had a lot to do with it. Age maybe also (53) I have Ileostomy since 1971.

kimmytk

I use stomahesive powder when mine bleeds between changes. Put it on the skin. Wipe off all excess. Do this 3 or 4 times each bag change.