Flying

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Kiwired
Hi,

I am wanting to go to New Zealand but since having my ileostomy I have not been on an airplane - just wondering does flying interfere with your bag.

Thanks.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,092 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

junopete

I have flown all over the place wearing a bag. I always make sure the bag is empty before boarding. A couple of times there was just enough pressure difference once at altitude I had to go to the restroom and burp the bag. Other than that, no worries.
I am sure you carry a spare appliance, if not, do. I have been stuck on the ground for hours in the aircraft. Northwest seems to be the worst at doing this to their passengers.

Good flying

Rick.....

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Hi Kiwired. Nice to meet you. I don't fly anymore, too chicken, but have flown many times in the past and never once had any problem or issue, none at all .... regarding the ostomy or the appliance. No worries. Though, junopete is right, please do take along extra pouches...just in case you are caught in layover time. Never leave anywhere without extra pouches and supplies in your purse. You will be just fine, dear. You should look forward to your trip and have a wonderful time in New Zealand! Take care! ~Your WD
rocket

Every time I fly, my baggage seems to get checked. Do you think they are checking because the scanner picks up strange plastic appliances?
I have a flight soon with some friends who don't know about my condition. How do I prevent these appliances from getting checked on check-in?

Mike

When I fly, I carry a small suitcase with all the extras I need. I never have a problem.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister