Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,328 members

New to the forum...

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:58 am
Hello...

New kid here on the forum.  I've been reading different posts and comments over the past few months and have had many questions answered without having to ask.  I was diagnosed in November of 2012 with diverticulitis and a perferated colon.  I was taken to the ER only to find out that what I thought was a kidney stone, from the pain, was actually 2 abcess on my colon approximately the size of tennis balls. After emergency surgery, 16 days in the hospital, I was released with 18" less colon than I had, along with an ostomy bag on my side.

The first few weeks were terrible, I became very upset each time I had to change it or get dressed to go out somewhere.  I'm scheduled for a colonostomy this week and if all goes well, hopefully surgery soon to reconnect everything back to normal.  Any advice on what to expect with the colonostomy and hopefully surgery will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Davidbg63
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:28 am
WElcome to the forum.

Other resources:
www.ostomy.org
www.ostomyland.org
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:07 am
The hardest part with a colonoscopy is the prep. Drinking all that miralax and gatorade. I hate gatorade now, lol. The rest is a breeze. They put me under.  Didn't feel a thing and I woke up only wanting to eat. I was starving!!
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:44 pm
Hi,
I just had my reversal April 12. (Original emergency surgery was Dec. 12.)   Beside getting reattached, they had to fix a hernia and remove scar tissue.  Was in the hospital for 4 days.  Except for being a little tired everything is great.  I can eat anything I want.  Only restriction is to take it easy on lifting.  The whole thing is so scary in the beginning, but you settle down after a few weeks.  One day at a time and you will get through it.  Good luck.
Reply by violet-hummingbird, on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:42 am
Hey there David - welcome to the site. Similar situation to me - diverticular abscess with several trips into hospital before sigmoid colectomy and subsequent reversal op nearly 2 years ago.
I have since returned to full time work without too much difficulty, just a bit more tired - I am late 50s.
I kinda mentally wrote off a year when I had the two ops, living with the colostomy in between, which I hated at first.  That year was spent positively working towards recovery, exercise, good nutrition, trying to keep up a social life so that I'd be in best condition to cope with the reversal op and recovery. What kept me sane was keeping a cartoon diary which I can look back on now and laugh at!  I do know now that if it happens in the future , adhesions etc I will cope whatever, but aim to avoid surgeons  if I can (have decided not to get my hernia repaired, just wear an elastic support for now)
The colonoscopy was a little wierd, and duly committed to a cartoon drawing. It wasn't painful, just a bit intrusive. I chatted away with a Nurse and watched the procedure shown on the overhead screen. Drinking the picolax prep beforehand was fine too, instead of the usual disposable bag, I used an emptying one so just stayed in the loo until the sluicing out had finished!! I asked for some IV sedation, but was aware of the procedure but not in pain.
Hope that helps.
Keep your chin up etc Smile
Reply by StarUK, on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:44 am
I had my first reversal several years ago and it was ok I was anxious as i too had an emergency colostomy after a perforated bowel caused by misdiagnosed Divericular disease and i never want to deal with that kind of pain again. But you know after getting my bum back as i called it there was something rather satisfying about sitting on a loo!! I know i am sad and i do need to get out more, sadly despite the reversal being a total success i was left with a fistula so i ended up with an illeostomy the next time round. I am waiting for another reversal and a successful repair of fistula and hernia but I wouldnt hesitate not because i think i couldn't live permanently with a stoma but i kinda just long for the days of getting out the shower and not having the whole palaver !! Good Luck
Reply by Firefly, on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:34 pm
I'm a sorta new. Had necrotizing pancreatitis and ended up with iliostomy and huge inoperable hernia. Love  this web site -- have learned so much. Thanks one and all.
Reply by Mrs.A, on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:42 pm
Welcome Firefly~
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.