Wilderness Camping Tips for Ostomates?

Replies
Views
Past Member
Sorry, it's taken me so long to check in and read your comment! Hermit Island is wonderful! We usually go for the wooded spots and have been on the mud flat side because of the shaded areas in both types of location. We did camp one night on Joe's Head at the top, a bit too exposed to wind and sun. It was for one night when we arrived to wait for our permanent site for the rest of the week.

I have not had the opportunity to camp this summer for the first time in many years. I miss it! I hope you have found yourself in wonderful places and are less intimidated about ostomy/camping concerns.

As for the cost of belts and insurance coverage, have you had your GI write a Medical Necessity Letter or call in submission for you to insurance? Sometimes it is an effective first way to get the items covered. I don't know if Nu Hope works directly with folks who need to pay out of pocket. It'd be neat if they did.

Cheers to campers this summer!
MissMeganM

Thanks for your reply!!! And I have a SA-WEET update for you about wilderness camping with an ostomy.........I WENT.

Yep, I went on a 3-day trip (just to get my feet wet) a couple of weeks ago. And for all I worried about it, my ostomy was a nonissue. It's actually easier camping with an ostomy than it is camping when you have a "normal" digestive system and you're coping with IBD, LOL. I ate foods I knew were safe with me and brought plenty of supplies just in case....but I had no issue. NONE. ZERO.

So if anyone out there is reading this and has been afraid to camp.......GO!!! It's okay! I also did something else on my vacation I never thought I'd do again - SWIM. And I've taken my kayak back out on the water! I'm over the moon right now.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,455 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

That is so freaking cool!!!

I'm so happy you took the risk and learned how great life can be while living with an ostomy!

WOUNDED DOE

Miss Megan M... I am so proud of you!!!! YYYYYYYESSSSS GIRL!!! ...continue to get out there and live life to the fullest.....any obstacle falls in your way just kick it aside........I was so happy to get back to this thread to see how you've been doing. You're an awesome example and inspiration for others, and it appears you are proving some very important things to yourself.....great job girl!!
Cheers!!

Doe

MissMeganM

Thank you so much!!! It feels awesome! I would never have had the courage to do it if it weren't for people like you pushing me and showing me that it is more than possible!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
almelia

I know it's 2 years since this thread - but it has made my day! I had my ileostomy less than two weeks ago and am desperate to get back in my kayak. I have been wondering quite how to deal with it once I also get back in my wee Mazda Bongo and head to Scotland... let alone when I am fit enough to get back to a bit of white water coaching. Wandering into the woods is a no-go as I am a wheelchair user.... and once I'm in my boat I am usually there for maybe 4 or 5 hours. If I need to pee, I get the lads to turn their backs and I 'perch' on the edge of my boat (tricky when it's winter dry suit weather - but needs must!). Hilarious for everyone else when we were watching an air show from the water - we pulled up on a beach and I sent the lads to turn their backs ...rummaged under my spray deck, perched and then suddenly slipped onto my knees in the sand just as 2 Tornado jets came hurtling across the bay seemingly headed straight from my seaward facing rear end.

My kit is most certainly now going to include an empty plastic jar for dealing with the ileo issue!!!!

gordonc

Sounds like fun! Pissing off the side of a boat, I've never done that before.

Good on you!!

Be lucky GC

almelia

Just an element of freedom