Probiotics and Ileostomy: Any Benefits? Prebiotics too?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the potential benefits of probiotics and prebiotics for individuals with an ileostomy, and participants share their experiences and advice.
Snookis Mum

Does anyone know if there is any benefit to using probiotics if you have an ileostomy? How about prebiotics?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

As probiotics are absorbed by the large bowel, I think they would be pretty much useless for anyone with an ileostomy (the large bowel having been removed).

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Snookis Mum

That's what I thought. Thanks for your input.

Penguins7

Thanks for the information as I have been considering going back to probiotics since my surgery, but now I will save my pennies. Penguins7

vikinga
Actually, that is not quite true. Out of curiosity, having an ileostomy myself, I just did an online search and found some interesting info on a site called "greaterimmunity.com". There is a great page about probiotics. It seems that Acidophilus is used in the small intestine. I recommend reading the whole page. Good stuff! Prebiotics are also addressed.
L

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
lemon

From what I understand, using probiotics can be extremely helpful with gastrointestinal health, even with an ostomy. The only thing you would want to look out for is the coating on the capsules and if you are taking them with food. If the coating on the capsules is too thick, then it will break down too slowly and the bacteria will not have time to stick to the lining of your guts. They should be taken with food because the acid in your stomach will kill all the bacteria if taken on an empty stomach.

aapplet

I was told by people working in a health food store to take Acidophilus Bifidus for people with ileostomies.

Oceanblue

Thanks for the information. I don't have a colon either and often wondered if all the yogurt I eat makes any difference to the small intestine.

Snookis Mum

Thank you, Vikinga - I will try the Acidophilus.

newcomer

Hello, my name is Kathy. I had an ileostomy 3 years ago and had constant problems. I did research and found BCIR. They do surgery and no more bag. They make it internal and I put a band-aid on it. It is amazing. Google BCIR and spread the word. We do have options. Dr. Rehnke is amazing. He is in Florida and I flew down from VA to have it done. I am free. I go all night, all day. It set me free. I am no longer owned by a stoma. Just an FYI.

Penguins7

Hello Kathy,
This seems too good to be true. Wow, I am amazed with this technology. How long have you had it and does insurance cover this procedure? I just had my surgery 6 months ago and will be looking into this. Thanks for sharing. Rod

Past Member

It is good that there are options available to those who are candidates for BCIR, but personally, I would rather have a bag for life and empty that regularly than have to catheterize/intubate myself several times a day (and night).

http://bcirprocedure.com/
Mrs.A
Hi Kathy,
Hope you are well. I was told by a nurse who was taking care of me when I was in the hospital and got C-diff. C-diff is a very dangerous staph infection. She told me to take Acidophilus, as it puts back into your gut what the C-diff destroyed. It is a probiotic.
I have also enclosed a link from the Mayo Clinic.

I did not see the link so here it is... http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/probiotics/AN00389
WOUNDED DOE

Some seem to benefit from probiotics and some don't. Personally, I do... just a little bit... and yogurt. The next thing I aim to try is something I cannot for the dang life of me think of the name :/... but when I think of it, I will include another note in this thread. It's a cactus juice you can order that has amazing anti-inflammatory value and is especially helpful to so many people like ourselves. Oh, that twists me that I can't think of it now... gonna sit here a moment 'til I think of it...

WOUNDED DOE

Nopolea!! That's the name of it....it's a 'Wellness Drink' .... I plan to order some......I'll let ya'll know how it works for me.... but if you never hear from me again, don't try the stuff LOL

http://www.trivita.com/trivitalegacy/default.aspx?tref=11260511

~Doe
Mrs.A
Most interesting Doe~ Wonder if we can get it in the states? I will be looking into it more. Thanks for providing the link.

Now I have a question for you or anyone who wants to answer...

Have you heard of Colloidal Silver, and what are your thoughts if you have? I have used it in the past and felt it was helpful in keeping the "common cold" away. It became a bit out of my pocket reach and I stopped, but I have been relooking into it and the Mayo Clinic says it is not really good for what it claims. But others like (NaturalNews.com) say that it is good for many things.
Either way, I think I will buy it again as I have not been so good at keeping the cold away and some other minor issues.
Thanks for your and everyone's reply.
sony34
Hello,
I have been put on a probiotic called VSL#3 DS as I was diagnosed with pouchitis and it has been very helpful. It was prescribed by my gastroenterologist and this one can only be purchased through a prescription. They also have VSL#3 in capsule and packet form that you can purchase over the counter or online. Probiotics can be helpful, you just need to make sure you are using the right ones that are useful for ileostomies. I would consult with your gastro doctor...