Life Expectancy for Ostomates

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Oceanblue

I was wondering if anyone knows if our life is decreased in any way by not having a colon. Obviously, we are living longer due to life-saving surgery. I was just wondering if ostomates are missing out on vitamins/minerals that may have a negative effect on our long-term health.
I know I won't be dying from colon cancer.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

MissMeganM

No worries, you don't need a colon to live a healthy life. Mainly, the function of your colon - your large intestine - is to absorb salt and water. As long as you are getting an increased amount of electrolyte-containing fluid to compensate for this, you are fine. Nutrients are absorbed in the small intestine, so if you've had some of that removed, then it hinders your nutrient absorption somewhat. But this too can be compensated for by adequate supplementation. Other than that, you should be all good. I work for a nursing home, and we have patients in their 80s and 90s with ostomies.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
vikinga

I heard that Bob Hope was an ostomate for the last 40 years of his 100-year life. Need I say more? Lack of a sense of humor is more likely to be the problem.

Anoniem18

Keep smiling.

WOUNDED DOE

Hello, I had my colon removed when I was ten years old, and more surgeries after that. I have been living without a colon and also missing most of my small intestine as well. I will be 47 this August. Everyone is different as far as needing to watch their nutrition and vitamins and such. No problem, that is easy to do if we drop low on one thing or another. I am another example of many on here who have lived as an ostomate for many, many, many years...lol...and still ticking. Relax and enjoy life to your fullest! Cheers!

~Doe

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Oceanblue

Thanks for the info. I am hoping to live as long as I can, so it's good to know there are 90-year-old people with ostomies. That's amazing that Bob Hope lived to 100...good sense of humor helps, yes.
I see that Mickey Rooney is still around..

Greetings from Australia..

Anoniem18
The worst thing you can do is worry.
Worry about the things you can change, ignore the ones you can't.
Oceanblue

Yes, I agree. Worry about the things you can change if they need changing.
I am actually not worried. I only wondered if not having a colon shortened life due to loss of vitamins or whatever. Now I know it doesn't appear to shorten life and I don't have to take any vitamin supplements. So I don't have to change anything.

junopete

No, your life expectancy does not change if you are paying attention.
If you are not getting CBC blood draws fairly often, change your doctor.
The blood draws will tell you where you are at.
Chances are your cholesterol and triglycerides will go down, a good thing in most cases.
Also, removal of colon on some people can cause kidney stones and kidney issues.
Also, in some people, urine acidity will go up, a bad thing.
You must hydrate all day long.
For me, I don't get thirsty so I carry a water bottle EVERYWHERE I go to remind me.

Rick.....

yaya

Thank you for asking the question that I was always scared to ask....

Anoniem18

I'll let you know in forty years whether it is true or not.
So far so good,
Ed

Hot for teacher

My ostomy nurse gave me some wonderful advice. He said that the small intestines don't absorb all of the nutrients from your food and we also lose a lot of hydration with an ileostomy. He suggested drinking large amounts of water and supplementing with Gatorade as needed for electrolytes. He suggested folic acid, B12 shots, and calcium supplements. I visited with my nutritionist and he gave me a different form of those vitamins because your body doesn't process some of the coatings or slow time-released capsules. I have read various articles supporting those supplements for ostomates. I have endured this horrible disease, the surgeries, and I certainly want to do whatever I can to live a very long and healthy life. I wish you the best. I am only six months into my ostomy and it has some daily challenges, but I am happy to be alive. Best of luck to you and may you be blessed with a long, healthy life.

pete

Hi. I'm Pete. I've had a colostomy since I was 2 days old. I'm now 54 and very active and looking forward to the next 54 years, ish. I am sure there are others like me who have had a colostomy for as long or longer. Keep positive and try not to let things get you down, and you'll have a great long life. Power to all us ostomists.

walayapo

Hi Pete, wow
Just 2 days old and you have lived all these years with a colostomy. Thank God He had you in His plans to live longer. You are a living testimony which I can tell the parents of small babies who had colostomy shortly after birth. It is truly an inspiration. It gives me hope for these little babies. Our only problem here is that these babies don't have colostomy bags. The parents use a piece of cloth to cover the stoma and collect the waste. Living conditions are also a problem. Worse still, colostomy bags are not readily available here so little hope here.
May God bless you with many more years.
Thanks for sharing your story.
Wantok

Maryellen

Hello there! Thanks for the tips. Are the supplements your nutritionist recommended over the counter or Rx'd? I am looking for supplements my body will absorb. Any info you offer will be appreciated. Many thanks!

M
WOUNDED DOE

I wish you all well, ...and I highly recommend everyone pay very close attention to what 'junopete' and 'hot for teacher' have suggested. They have offered some very important tips and facts to keep a careful watch over... excellent advice. Be well!!