Barium contrast and wafer damage after MRI?

Replies
Views
Penguins7

I had an MRI yesterday and had to drink the barium contrast prior to the procedure (plus I had the dye penetrant via IV). After the procedure, the barium had to run its course through my pouch. At 2 am, I woke up with a stinking feeling around my stoma (leakage). Does anyone know if the barium can eat the wafers quickly? It was only day 2 on this wafer, and it was not in good shape. I know there is iodine in the barium. The bottom line is if you have an MRI, you may want to consider changing the wafer after the contents have run through your system. I would be interested to hear from others who have had an MRI if you experienced any problems. Penguins7

MissMeganM

Weirdly, I had a CT scan just the other day and they gave me a quart and a half of barium to swallow. Mind you, I told them there was no point; it was simply going to run out of my pouch, but they didn't realize this until I had drunk a whole quart of the nasty stuff. They thought I had a colostomy, not an ileostomy. Idiots. But anyway, I did notice that it made my ostomy go crazy, at one point I was draining my pouch like every 15 minutes. I was scheduled for a wafer change the next morning anyway, and I didn't notice anything amiss when I took it off. I was expecting to see more meltout than usual though!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,456 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Firefly

I'm scheduled for an X-ray with barium prep in two days. Can anyone tell me what will happen

to my ileostomy? How much barium will I have to drink? This is an esophageal X-ray only.

Firefly

I'm scheduled for an X-ray with barium prep in two days. Can anyone tell me what will happen

to my ileostomy? How much barium will I have to drink? This is an esophageal X-ray only.

AlexT

I have a colostomy and enjoyed drinking that lovely stuff in September, no issues for me or my equipment.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Homie With A Stomie NS

Howdy, I'm having a scan done on the 11th. I've got to do the gastrografin drink and dye. I've done dye prior with the stoma, no effects. This will be the first one with both. Keep ya posted.

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to MissMeganM

CT nurse told me that I only had to drink the 2nd portion an hour before even with my ileostomy.....ty for posting was wondering as mine is coming up

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to Firefly

I called and spoke with the CT tech, and they told me that because of ileostomy, I only had to drink the second bottle. Apparently, normal people (lol) got to drink two - one the night before and one an hour before the test. Not sure of the amount. Mine is on the 11th. Good luck, you got this.