You say you never hook up in here?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
bunzerella
I suppose wearing a bag does not mean I need to date someone else who wears a bag. After the bag talk, is there anything else? ray
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Am sure you would need a few more common interests than sharing similar plumbing before hooking up perhaps?!

Personally believe it is limiting your options somewhat if you only want to become involved with another ostomate. Particularly as coming from the land downunder and being a minority on sites like these (plus the fact I live in a country town) my chances are zero to none in finding another like-plumbed individual.

Which is not a problem of course, find that even when you're not out to "trap yourself a man" there is plenty of good fishing to be had in the non-ostomate seas!

Happy huntin' mate!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
MissMeganM
I say meet and date whoever you want; I'm open about my ostomy and have yet to meet a guy who was interested who objected to it. And I've never met another person with one; its just not that common. You have a health condition you can't help having!
TimothyKevin
This is a difficult situation for both male ostomates and female ostomates. The average public has no idea what these operations are and when you have to explain to them what they are, and that you have one, many of them recoil in shocked horror and look at you like you have three heads. I've gotten "unlucky" a number of times when I was on the verge of victory only to have to mention this um...little inconvenience.

I have found that nurses, nurse aides, doctors, and other medical technicians are not fazed by this situation. I think probably some lawyers and other professional people also are intelligent enough not to be struck dumb with terror upon having the situation explained to them.

The other option, is of course, to find a fellow Ostomate. At least you don't have to go through a complicated potentially humiliating dramatic scene with your potential girl/boyfriend about what the situation is, what it means, and how we have to live with it.
MissMeganM
I think the recoil factor has A LOT to do with fear. I live in a small community, so everyone knows what happened to me. It was a messed up story, for sure. But when I have to explain things, I keep it brief and technical. I use medical terminology and not "Joe Schmo-speak." Also, I let them know when I don't have clothes on, you still can't see anything because I wear a wrap, which I describe as a piece of lingerie (which is what my wraps look like, lol). Basically, I try and calm the fear. People as a rule are terrified because they don't understand how you can go around alive with part of your intestine exposed. They're afraid to hurt you, or that you are hurting, they are afraid that your health is fragile. I get that; if I were on their end, I wouldn't be grossed out by the person, I'd be afraid for them. I'd be worried about them.

And as an aside, can I just say TimK - you used to write for Art Bell? WICKED COOL!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister